Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by xverminator
I think the question that needs to be asked is should I pay to hunt, not would I pay.......

The number one enemy of the hunter in this country is not PETA, the Sierra Club, or the Humane Society, it is the hunter himself...Our hunting heritage began to die the minute the first hunter decided to pay for access to private land or pay to be led around by the hand by an outfitter.

As we all strive to kill TV sized game, more and more private land gets leased every year by outfitters. Meanwhile groups of average hunters are scrambling to keep pace by consolidating funds and carving out a lease of their own via hunt clubs..

Those who cannot afford to lease or are just not willing to, are eventually displaced. It's why the public lands get more crowded every year! Folks like Tedthorn who get sick of the public land hunting pressure either quit hunting or try to keep pace with outfitters. I have followed Ted's posts over the years and I know where he leases. I know because 20yrs ago I used to knock on doors up there and get permission to hunt for free.

The days of knocking on doors and gaining permission are largely over. Landowners know that there is no shortage of people willing to line up with their wallets out...... Those who think they can continue to keep pace with outfitter lease rates are kidding themselves. The average group of guys simply cannot compete with an outfitter running as many hunters a year as possible...

This has become our hunting culture. Largely predicated by hunting shows, social media, and the urbanization of this country. The longer we allow this culture to continue without even giving it some thought, the more the average hunter is going to get shut out. Forming hunt clubs and consolidating funds is a great idea but it is not going to work forever. There are simply too many people willing to pay an outfitter a lot of damn money to shoot trophy animals...

How long before the lease rates become so high that it requires so many average guys to fund a hunt club that the lease itself begins to resemble public land hunting? Not long fellas!

The single most important factor in changing this culture and continuing the hunting heritage passed down to us lies with the next generation and their fathers. That's us dumb asses, wake up!

It is our duty to pass down the heritage of hunting but more and more dads are finding it difficult to take their kids hunting simply because there are increasingly less and less places to go..

We have got to change this trophy animal no matter the cost mentality. We as trophy hunters are doing far more damage to ourselves than the anti hunting groups ever could.

I find myself resentful of what we as hunters have become. We have got to stop paying outfitters for private land access or for sh+t we can do ourselves.....Period!

See signature line.........................................

X-VERMINATOR

This is quite possibly the best post I have ever read on the fire...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing that I find interesting is how few folks actually do pay someone else to hunt whitetail. It all seems so incestuous-- a lot like when I dated the chick that worked for the Opera. I comp you, you comp me. The performances were mostly filled with comped tickets.

I'm on your show, you come on my show. Most of the places I've seen do whitetail outfitting were gone in a few years. Most looked like shoestring operations while they were in business. The few I've seen stay open are also doing exotics.

I was on one whitetail forum since 2008. It has a section on guided hunts-- almost zero traffic. What is there is mostly thinly veiled advertisements.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by srwshooter
just to many good whitetails in this country on puplic land and private land that can be had.i just can't see me ever spending the money for a outfitter to hunt them.

As someone who hunts public land and non-posted private land it would be nice to hunt an area that doesn't see quite as much pressure. Never fun to find human or four wheeler tracks all over the place...

What exactly is non-posted private land ?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
just to many good whitetails in this country on puplic land and private land that can be had.i just can't see me ever spending the money for a outfitter to hunt them.

As someone who hunts public land and non-posted private land it would be nice to hunt an area that doesn't see quite as much pressure. Never fun to find human or four wheeler tracks all over the place...

In my home area in Idaho, it's what the newer generation of neighbors and drive-by-road hunters view as "their" rights to hunt your land without asking. We are seeing more and more folks coming onto non-posted land without a thought of stopping at the house and asking permission. I doubt we'd ever say "no", but it would be nice to be asked before hearing shots on your property.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/10/14.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I won't pay for whitetail hunting, beyond what I pay in land taxes, fuel, feed, tags, trucks, equipment and the cost of a couple thousand acres of premo hunting land. That's not to say that I don't pay for other hunting opportunities worldwide, or have any problem with others who want to pay to hunt whitetails in Saskatchewan. I might question whether they are getting their money's worth, but that's just a matter of opinion and none of my business.

Our province is a bit of an oddity in that it is illegal to lease hunting access on private land. How well that works depends on where you are standing at the time. It does keep hunting sort of affordable and accessable but that "free" hunting is on the backs of the landowners. It doesn't make sense that something that is obviously worth money has to be given away and can't be sold. I've reached the point where I would rather pay as I go than go cap-in-hand like some kind of begger asking for something for nothing. I'm sure there are others that feel like that.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AH64guy

In my home area in Idaho, it's what the newer generation of neighbors and drive-by-road hunters view as "their" rights to hunt your land without asking. We are seeing more and more folks coming onto non-posted land without a thought of stopping at the house and asking permission. I doubt we'd ever say "no", but it would be nice to be asked before hearing shots on your property.

So what is the term used if they jump in your truck and take it for a spin without asking. Kinda the same thing in my book. I gotta figure if it isn't yours, you don't belong on it or in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd pay to hunt Iowa or Illinois and I'm considering it for next year. Gun only though so Id need a guide that includes gun hunting.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

So what is the term used if they jump in your truck and take it for a spin without asking. Kinda the same thing in my book. I gotta figure if it isn't yours, you don't belong on it or in it.

[/quote]

Agreed, but the farm truck had the keys in it, and if it was gone, there'd be a note or some indiction to which neighbor borrowed it. Reality, most of our nieghbors would have walked many, many miles before admitting they needed a ride.

I've begun to lose track of the number of game birds shot in the middle of the cow pen, or the herd while they were feeding, the number of trucks stopping on the county road and shooting into the property at game or coyotes. We've only have one horse shot over the years, a bow hunter put an arrow through the soft nostril tissue of a buckskin, and at least reported it. But, he'd come in the back end of the property, and didnt know who's land he was on. Hunters on the property tend to give the same answer when confronted: "Didn't see no signs". or "Wasn't posted, must be open land".

Some of it is the third-fourth generation hunters now. Our grandparents hunted together and shared the land, the parents did as well, but less so. The kids have grown up hunting the area and moved away, but haven't thought about renewing the relationships, or the permissions, when they return to hunt.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/10/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'd pay to hunt Iowa or Illinois and I'm considering it for next year. Gun only though so Id need a guide that includes gun hunting.

Mike,
You'll likely need at least one preference point (maybe more) to draw the shotgun tag in Iowa. (depends on unit) It's not impossible to draw without a PP though. I did a couple years back and had a good hunt around the Bloomfield area.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have not to date but am thinking (seriously) that I will for Saskatchewan or Alberta and maybe Coues

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep, I would pay, and I did.

[Linked Image]

and again the next year.

[Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
and what I get when I hunt public land.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
notice any difference?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wink

I hear there's good hunting in VA. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by moosemike

Mike,
You'll likely need at least one preference point (maybe more) to draw the shotgun tag in Iowa. (depends on unit) It's not impossible to draw without a PP though. I did a couple years back and had a good hunt around the Bloomfield area.

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of that.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
there is lots of great hunting in va. but like most other states people are paying big money to hunt it.worst thing we have right now is a growing bear and coyote population. everyone want to kill a coyote but lots of land leasers will not kill a small bear. we need to start killing more of the younger bear. bear are killing fawns in my area faster then the coyotes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

It could be our home 'farm' where we allow walk in hunting or deeded property out in the hills that is enrolled in a program called Block Management.

Basically private property that is accessible to anyone that wants to hunt. Pretty much the same as other local public ground pressure-wise.

As in NON-high dollar honeyhole leased up ground....

And yes, there is something very rewarding about taking a good buck on 'public' ground. More work and harder, yes, but it is worth it.

That said I wouldn't pass up the chance to hunt prime private land.....grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Me either. I'd pay a trespass fee for prime private land, but I wouldn't pay for a particular buck or horn size. Or a guide, for whitetails.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is very good whitetail hunting in Illinois.
The catch is, access is rather difficult to impossible.

Fortunately, my car doesn't require a tag and the season is 52 weeks.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How many have you ran over so far? I'm at 5 now. Too many long night time drives.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,794
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.