Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just got a harvester plus from HCR. Their work is outstanding, and I can't say enough about how well they do. But that being said, if my kid ever refinishes it after I'm gone I'll be haunting his a$$

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Aviator
Leave it as is !

Great idea. Why throw money away.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I usually regret doing things like that. I would leave it alone other than the pad if you need it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
I usually regret doing things like that. I would leave it alone other than the pad if you need it.

Yes, unless for LOP that particular brand and model in caliber listed does not need recoil pad, wonderful.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If something bugs you and you want to change it, then go ahead and change it if you want. I've modified brand new rifles right out of the box, even before shooting them.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If shrapnel sees this thread, we're gonna have problems.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There were some original pads available awhile ago on the sakocollectors site. Other than the pad and swivel repair, I would leave the rifle alone.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Forester has an aftermarket pad fitted by a previous owner. It's a .243, so likely it had a hard buttplate when new. All I did to it was remove the white spacers and take it apart to clean it up good.

Really nice rifles; well worth seeking out as shooters. This one will probably go to my grandson when he comes of age or I go under.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you want to rebuild something, get a Remington.
Your suggesting the 700 type rifle?

I thought you were experienced? smirk

Leave that rifle alone. Use and wear is not a bad thing. The gun isn't in the kind of condition that it would need to be treated so poorly.

You can rebuild a gun a thousand times, but it is only original once...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gotta be $hittin' me.

Leave that rifle alone. Or give it to someone who appreciates it. I like a rifle with a little character......

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunt with and never plan on selling as it has a high sentimental factor because my dad gave it to me.

In that case, I'd dial it in to suit me.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been surfin GB a lot lately looking for price comparisons and ran across a listing in BA's & SAKO that had original SAKO styled butt pads, but would need to be ground down for an exact fit. Don't remember the prices, but didn't seem too bad to put on the tired A III 270 I was looking at & had the typical crushed pad from being stored in a closet or vertical gun rack on the butt.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The OP has no choice on the sling swivel, if he wants to keep and use the stock. Those and the recoil pad are easy to replace and keep the originals for resale, if it comes to that. Not a big deal.

If it was my rig, I'd do what Hamrick suggested. Buy a stock to fit and mess with it to fit your needs and keep the original in the way back of the safe. That's what I've done with old rifles of sentimental value to preserve the original equipment. Also helps if plans change in the future and you or somebody else needs to sell it.

The old Finnbears that I've had the privilege to fondle had great fit, feel and balance. It is a beauty!

Only you can make the choice. Everybody has their own take on it. Go with what you want to do with your rifle.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I found a used McMillan Sako Classic for my L61R. Stuck the wood in the closet.

I'd look for a good smith that would do a nice custom stock for it to go along with the McMillan. Keep the original.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I hunt with and never plan on selling as it has a high sentimental factor because my dad gave it to me.

In that case, I'd dial it in to suit me.

+2 ...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My Dad left me his 1950's model Colt Huntsman. He introduced me and my sons to shooting with that 22. Before he gave it to me, he had it refinished. I am proud to have it, but I wish he had left it alone. That finish wear was evidence of his life and times--my time with him--and his grandsons.
Fix the sling stud. Replace the recoil pad if you must. If the bolt is starting to rust--polish it. Don't make it something it is not. It is a 50 year old hunting rife from you Dad. You can't improve on that.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it was mine I'd fix the swivel, replace the pad and hunt it a bunch more. Looks to be in very nice shape, from the pics.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickF
It's a pet hunting rifle, not a museum piece. Refinish it, and continue to use it sir.

Poor guy...by the end of this thread, he will have locked it away in the back of the safe, afraid to take it out and 'damage' the collector value.

I'm with Rick and Pat....fix the stuff that needs fixing, refinish what you like and keep on hunting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of my fav rifles is one of those in 30/06 and also have one in 270 I wouldn't recomend a refinish as they are light wood with a stain. I tried it on a 579 and just couldn't get the stain to take..my 06 had a really bad pad so I changed it out for a little thicker one to get som more length.
If your rifle is well used keep using it.. My 270 is in a McMillan stock and is a dream to shoot and hunt with but I still use the wood stocked 06 much more.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When put that way......you are probably right. There's a lot of great suggestions on here and I'm thinking the ones along this line might be best. After this deer season I will replace the recoil pad and put on detach sling studs (or the originals as one poster said new ones won't fit without being filled) and keep hunting it hard. Now....which recoil pad? Pachmyr?

I really don't care for plastic stocks, even the nice ones, and I'm not afraid to scratch the wood. I've been hunting with the rifle since I was a very young kid and it's been knocked on bunches of trees when being climbed and doors when getting into blinds. I like the way it looks and enjoy the character so I think everyone who said leave it alone is probably right. It's a great rifle I hope to pass on someday.

My question now is really what to do about the sling studs (keep original and have the wood filled or put new quick detach studs on) and what recoil pad to use. I like the original Sako pads and found some online as mentioned but they will just get crushed again as it will be standing up on its butt in my safe.

...post edited for typos.

Last edited by MJSaustin; 12/15/14.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.