Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image]

SKane he was smaller in the hips kinda like a greyhound. This picture doesn't show it as much as it does when he is stretched out. For comparison the 10 pointer next to him weighed 180.
Lefty

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now imagine what he'd weigh if the back matched the front!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's a hell of a deer.

+1

This is a real trophy for the way it was killed, it's size, and it's age. Very cool! I hope all that meat is great eating!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 376 lbs, that buck is absolute freak for this area! It is akin to an 8 foot tall human.

I've lived here my entire life in this area and have seen hundreds of dead whitetails and never seen or heard of anything even close to that.

I've weighed a few of the bigger bucks that I've killed and anything field-dressed that goes over 175 is a good buck. Something that goes much over 210 is gonna turn heads.

From what I have seen, 180-220 lbs field dressed is by far the norm for an older buck living good in this area. It's hard to imagine something that would be a 100 lbs bigger.

You got yourself a freak of nature. Congrats on one heckuva deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy crap. I have had one that was over 200 dressed. I can't imagine one that big.

Nice work!!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The buck I got this year weighed 173 at the locker, dressed. No hide, head, guts or lower legs. What would he have went live?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I wish you had taken a photo of the two bucks hanging side by side. The 375 would have to have been twice the size as the other.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I wish we had taken more pictures also. It didn't really sink in what we had until I thought about it for a while. The 10 point buck laying next to it on the picture above is a decent comparison. He was 180+. Taxidermist is going to do a full shoulder mount that hopefully shows his size.

Lefty

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Lonny
At 376 lbs, that buck is absolute freak for this area! It is akin to an 8 foot tall human.

I've lived here my entire life in this area and have seen hundreds of dead whitetails and never seen or heard of anything even close to that.

I've weighed a few of the bigger bucks that I've killed and anything field-dressed that goes over 175 is a good buck. Something that goes much over 210 is gonna turn heads.

From what I have seen, 180-220 lbs field dressed is by far the norm for an older buck living good in this area. It's hard to imagine something that would be a 100 lbs bigger.

You got yourself a freak of nature. Congrats on one heckuva deer.
It is simply amazing. do you think the area had more or better food?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations! That is a MONSTER!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Lonny,

No I don't think so. Heavy green timber broken up by clear cuts.
I have been hunting there on and off for 15 years and there are some really large bucks there. I got a big 250 lb 10 pointer a while ago, and my Nephew go a 250+ 10 pointer 3 years ago. The taxidermist told me he had one come in about three years ago that was as big and had a bigger rack. Based on the size of the tracks I have seen I would expect there to be some other really big bucks.

Lefty

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats on a slob!
Largest weight wise I have killed here in WNY was 228 lbs dressed
That deer was a foot longer than any deer I've killed

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dvg,

Very nice buck!

Lefty

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Lonny,

I have been hunting there on and off for 15 years and there are some really large bucks there. I got a big 250 lb 10 pointer a while ago, and my Nephew go a 250+ 10 pointer 3 years ago. The taxidermist told me he had one come in about three years ago that was as big and had a bigger rack. Based on the size of the tracks I have seen I would expect there to be some other really big bucks.

Lefty

This about tracks weights for mature bucks in Maine,with a few nudging over 270 pounds dressed. Usually such bucks are killed before the 3rd or 4th week in November when they have lost weight from running does all month.

But the Maine record is a buck killed by Horace Hinkley and dressed 355 pounds,so sure...they can get that big!.

Lefty, your buck beats the Maine state record....that's a hell of a deer. Congrats and nice job with the tracking and shooting. That is not an easy way to kill one.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Lonny,

Lefty

I'd have to agree, there isn't better feed, but I think there is better cover where the big boys and girls can hide. The heavy timber in the area is generally such that you and I can't sneak through it without letting everything living there know we are coming.

We used to sit the clear cuts as teens, but we didn't see much. Combination of being teens -distracted easily- and not willing/mature/knowing enough to tackle the hard hunting just yet.

Depending on how far he ranged, he could get to grain fields (winter wheat is the most common) that border the start of the timbered areas, but I suspect he was further in the deep stuff.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Bob.

Growing up in Northern Vt. I can relate to maine hunting. My dad used to go there and bought some pretty big deer home, but a lot of years nothing.
The day I got this buck was unusual. It had been below 0 for a few days and the ground was rock hard, crunchy, like walking on corn flakes. Any tracks were weeks old in the frozen ground. I was rewarded with "thumps" and cracking brush 150 yards ahead. 4days of hard hunting=0. Then it turned warm and rained all night. Any tracks at all were very fresh. I picked up this bucks track in big timber on a ridgetop. Followed them slowly for about a 1/2 mile and then down and around a large clear cut, through more timber to the edge of another clear cut, another 1/4 mile or so and found a huge scrape and small tree demolished. I was getting pretty pumped! Over a small knoll and spotted a doe standing in the clear cut. Scoped her and there were antlers sticking up by her feet. The doe had me busted and took off and the buck took as well. Three shots and he was down. 1 in the hip, a miss, and 1 low in the chest. He turned out to be farther away than I thought. Ranged from where I shot and it was almost 300 yards. His size made him look closer. All my shots were about 6" low which makes sense with the 308's zero. Shot at noon.
One to remember for sure.

Lefty

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The buck I got this year weighed 173 at the locker, dressed. No hide, head, guts or lower legs. What would he have went live?

Quite a bit more.

Camp is where you make it.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
AH,

He was back a ways. In the last few years I have been seeing less and less deer and more and more of this:

[Linked Image]

Woof and cats are working on them. One of the guys said he saw a grizzly track as well.

Lefty

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Its a hellova buck no doubt. Deer do get that big on occaision. I believe the MN state record is something like 408 pounds!

My biggest is 227 field dressed and i had to turn the head/neck to fit it in a 6.5' box on my f150.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob.

Growing up in Northern Vt. I can relate to maine hunting. My dad used to go there and bought some pretty big deer home, but a lot of years nothing.
The day I got this buck was unusual. It had been below 0 for a few days and the ground was rock hard, crunchy, like walking on corn flakes. Any tracks were weeks old in the frozen ground. I was rewarded with "thumps" and cracking brush 150 yards ahead. 4days of hard hunting=0. Then it turned warm and rained all night. Any tracks at all were very fresh. I picked up this bucks track in big timber on a ridgetop. Followed them slowly for about a 1/2 mile and then down and around a large clear cut, through more timber to the edge of another clear cut, another 1/4 mile or so and found a huge scrape and small tree demolished. I was getting pretty pumped! Over a small knoll and spotted a doe standing in the clear cut. Scoped her and there were antlers sticking up by her feet. The doe had me busted and took off and the buck took as well. Three shots and he was down. 1 in the hip, a miss, and 1 low in the chest. He turned out to be farther away than I thought. Ranged from where I shot and it was almost 300 yards. His size made him look closer. All my shots were about 6" low which makes sense with the 308's zero. Shot at noon.
One to remember for sure.

Lefty

....from Northern Vermont....You're a New Englander! No wonder you knew to track him! smile

Great story and great job! If he had not bumped into that hot doe, you might still be following him! She made him slow down,and they will demolish a tree and/or scrape in the presence of a hot doe.

The whole thing was too absolutely cool! wink

I'm getting light headed.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,491,995
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.