Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Brad, do you just use a spray degreaser?

After my experience this year I want to go through the trigger and bolt and get them cleaned and re-oiled.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sam,

Can't you just use a gob of Loctite on the buggered screw and it will fill up the threads enough to hold anyway. I don't expect that screw has much load on it during use.

DD, that's what I did.

The new allen wrench was just big enough to snug it up without stripping.

Should never be an issue unless for some reason I decide to try and back it out.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
prm, I use spray Auto Brake Cleaner.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sammer, when you mentioned stripping the set screw, I had a suspicion you might have had an undersized allen... glad to hear it worked out!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Brad
[quote=sigguy]
It would be great if there were a sticky on how to get your Montana in shape!

Well, FWIW, here's my ritual:

First:.....]

This is awesome. Thanks. Off to hunt this weekend with the Montana. Right now it is a 1" to 2" rifle; good enough for government work!

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad to help!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kimber will sell the screw as well...

Hey, that really doesn't sound quite right. laugh

No it sounds most apropos. They are used to seeing folks holding their ankles.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I see you're deep in the bottle...

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One more thought...

I've seen more than one Kimber barrel settle into consistent shooting once the round count has passed the 100+ mark. Obviously doing the barrel-break-in-thing can speed this up a bit. Not every Kimber barrel I've seen needs over a 100 rounds to settle down, but I've seen it enough to think there's something to it.

And unlike the one usual expert who posts on Kimber MT's, I've learned what I've learned with far more than a "sample of one."

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I found mine good and snug, but a little passionate pink finger nail polish was added to make sure it stays good and tight. Thanks Brad. CP.

IC B3

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Chris, you're welcome!

Hope you have a good opener next weekend...

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot one other thing... when the stocks are out of the mold and the recoil pads glued on, sometimes a vacuum is created from the heat of the cooling stock. On many Montana's (obviously not on the wood models) you'll find the recoil pad "dimpled" (sucked in) and slight deformed from this vacuum effect.

The simple way to release the vacuum is take a sharp, longish push-pin or heavy sewing needle and poke through the outside of the recoil pad in a couple spots above and below the Kimber logo on the butt end of the pad. Over a few days (up to a week), the pad will go back to its original form.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forgot one other thing... when the stocks are out of the mold and the recoil pads glued on, sometimes a vacuum is created from the heat of the cooling stock. On many Montana's (obviously not on the wood models) you'll find the recoil pad "dimpled" (sucked in) and slight deformed from this vacuum effect.

The simple way to release the vacuum is take a sharp, longish push-pin or heavy sewing needle and poke through the outside of the recoil pad in a couple spots above and below the Kimber logo on the butt end of the pad. Over a few days (up to a week), the pad will go back to its original form.

[Linked Image]

A 20 gauge hypodermic will eliminate the dimpling within seconds; did for me.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Brad

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't know if this has ever been discussed, but I experienced something yesterday I've never seen with any of the 10 or so Kimber MT's I've owned.

Had a small, threaded, set-pin back-out, not allowing the bolt to cycle.

I took the pin out, degreased it, blue loc-tighted it and re-set it. A dab of nail polish on top sealed the deal.

I doubt I'll ever have another problem, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Certainly wouldn't want to have discovered the issue with a 340 bull staring at me...

Somehow the photo got moved... here it is back.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks again for sharing this info.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had three Kimbers of which two had the problem.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To the top with this one again...

Experienced light primer strikes at the range today w/ my 84M, remembered this thread and used my "google fu" to find it. Followed Brad's procedure, everything seems Kosher now - firing pin protrusion is 0.055.

Added this to my "watched topics" for future reference.

Thanks Brad...

David

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
There is a recall list if you google it.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
There is a recall list if you google it.

My rifle was on the list, they checked it and it was in spec - what does that have to do with this?

David

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 3,071 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.