Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Get real - God makes no promises regarding what humans will, or will not, do. We have been given free will, and it is not possible for you to define God, His love and His compassion - you lack the knowledge and power. So do I.

Parents who love their children deeply and who have great compassion for them cannot control everything their children do when given freedom, nor can they control what happens to them. When really bad things come to those kids due to their behavior - or the behavior of others - does that automatically mean, and enable you to judge, that those parents lacked love and compassion for their kids?

You seem to be working with a poor set of tools.

Do you standby and watch as harm comes to you're 13 year old, because of your child's bad behavior? Gee, I told Sally not to walk down that alley, gee my daughter is being raped, I'll watch.

Of course not, and you have perverted what was written. Never have I, and never would I, stand by and simply watch anything bad happen to my kids, or to the kids of others if there were anything I could do to prevent it.

Somehow, I think you know that to be true of all loving parents and are simply twisting words to be perverse.

Possibly you have not experienced this, but were you a loving parent you might understand. No matter how much one loves his/her kids and tries to protect them from harm, they grow into decisive beings with their own free which sometimes leads them to harm. This is hurtful, even devastating, to a loving parent, but a bad end-result from the excercise of free will by offspring in no way defines the love and care of the parent.

If your parents were loving and caring, do your screw-ups and bad outcomes in any way diminsh their love and care? I still think you know this and are simply acting crudely in this post.

Wow, you missed it completely, but I see it's since been covered.

If you don't, why does God standby and watch His children get raped, murdered, butchered, etc etc.

I see you say something along the lines that we don't get to define God, but apparently you do

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I understood your attempt at fictional analogy, but you seem to have missed the basis of my position - God-inspired faith. Absent that, reasoning in this realm can be difficult.

No, I get it. You believe in something despite all evidence to the contrary, simply because you want to believe and that belief makes you feel better.

That's it, and that's all. Honestly, that's all it has to be and has to do. It still doesn't change the facts of incongruous teachings and beliefs, nor the illogical premises that have to exist for such faith to continue.

Whether one believes in a fiction or not is their own business and their own right. That it is still a fiction remains, but so long as it makes them feel better that's all that's required.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is to 4ager and Steelhead. You both seem to be smart guys, and I respect your doubting as well as the questions you pose. However, in these posts you seem to assume reach that you do not possess. You are not nearly insightful enough to have a clue about how I feel, what makes me "feel better" or what I think I can do. It truly seems most arrogant for one to assume that he has such capacity. If you are merely guessing, that is another matter.

I try to avoid any such assumptions about the beliefs or feelings of others - not my realm, expertise or preogative. Neither can you define "fiction' as it pertains to another and his/her faith. It is beyond you - and beyond me. If you think you are that intellectually powerful, flail away.

There is no "apparent" about it. Kindly re-read what I said earlier - for comprehension - let this sink in. I cannot define God and do not suppose that ever I will. One can read the signs and evidence in His Word and elsewhere, do his best to be led by the Holy Spirit, and do his best to understand - but never can assume to define God. All Godly things are not understandable or fathomable by humans.

Likewise, one person's faith cannot be defined or fully understood by another, nor can the effects of such faith. You can surmise, mock and decry - but you cannot define.

Noted above are some of the "tools" mentioned earlier.

One's inability to understand, or accept, that the bad human actions and events you mention do occur within the scope of the free-will given by God may be a problem for you - and possibly for me. However, such inability does not reflect upon or negate anything about God. It simply is a human shortcoming, like many others.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't get it

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Well, when "the big picture" ....... .

Any halfway intelligent man is going to go thru the same mental exercise regarding God. Some of us don't stop there, and some do.

The logical explanation - at least it satisfies me - is that there is a "bigger picture" which contains the "big picture".

If we could see the bigger picture, we would see how everything fits together. Atrocities and acts of mercy. Good men and evil men.

Since we operate in the "big picture" we are supposed to act as if this is all there is and we must confront evil and be sickened by atrocities.

But blaming God is tempting. I just never had the balls for it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
� blaming God is tempting. I just never had the balls for it.

Blame Adam.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That may well all be as it may and not for me to settle.

What I do know is this:

Sitting down at a restaurant is what I do, when I am hungry. Any information passed onto the table I am allowed to occupy other than the menue is not welcome.

And this is in no way a reflection of my believe.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by denton
4ager, your question/objection is a commonly held view: How could a just God allow such terrible things?

But consider the alternative. Assume that He forced us all to do right, all the time. Would you prefer a world where you had no choice?

Not so. That's not the alternative. If He loved as his followers proclaimed, He could alter history and the present to negate much of that suffering without interfering with free will. Remember, He's everywhere, in everything, all knowing, and all powerful, right? And, He is Love Incarnate, right?
If He was, He could negate that without negating free will. He has not, does not, and will not.
The "It's God's Will" excuse is tired and old. It no longer holds water.

4ager, you seem like a very bright guy with strong convictions and the will to fight. But, you don't get to define the Christian God and never will you be sufficiently privileged or powerful to the point where you can tell God what He would do if He were "real" in your terms. Omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, omni-anything - not controlled or defined by humans.

CCCC, I see that you've been practicing your apologetic else where, and learning new tricks. Claiming that God cannot be defined is one of those tricks, because once he's defined, he's easy to disprove. This is just one more of those infinite regressions of apologetic. It used to be that God(s) was (were) on the mountains, then in the clouds, then in space, now God is outside space and time....and cannot even be defined. The apologist have been moving the goal posts for thousands of years, and now you are running out of room to move them.

So, what is your evidence for this undefinable being that exists outside of space and time?

If you cannot even define what it is, or where it is, how can you offer any evidence for it's existence?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
� If you cannot even define what it is, or where it is, how can you offer any evidence for it's existence?

So � anything that the human mind can neither define nor locate can not exist � is that what you conclude?

Texas singer Don Cherry told of a Texas cowboy watching a bull-fight � and finally losing patience with the matador �

"Hey, Seen-yorr! If you don't hold that cotton-pickin' sack still, you ain't nevva gonna git 'im in it!" laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� If you cannot even define what it is, or where it is, how can you offer any evidence for it's existence?

So � anything that the human mind can neither define nor locate can not exist � is that what you conclude?

Texas singer Don Cherry told of a Texas cowboy watching a bull-fight � and finally losing patience with the matador �

"Hey, Seen-yorr! If you don't hold that cotton-pickin' sack still, you ain't nevva gonna git 'im in it!" laugh

Read again, but more closely this time.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Which is an absence of good, so God isn't there?

I am seeing the depravity of man. Manifested in evil acts.

Also, I would not agree that evil is simply "the absence of God."

Anybody else seeing "depravity" here?

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCCC, I see that you've been practicing your apologetic else where, and learning new tricks. Claiming that God cannot be defined is one of those tricks, because once he's defined, he's easy to disprove. This is just one more of those infinite regressions of apologetic. It used to be that God(s) was (were) on the mountains, then in the clouds, then in space, now God is outside space and time....and cannot even be defined. The apologist have been moving the goal posts for thousands of years, and now you are running out of room to move them.

So, what is your evidence for this undefinable being that exists outside of space and time? If you cannot even define what it is, or where it is, how can you offer any evidence for it's existence?

Sniper, I wish I were young enough to learn some new tricks, and sure am not practicing anything at all - except a musical instrument or two. You are DEAD WRONG - I offer no apology for anything connected with God - would not even try. Therefore, no infinite regression involved. That must be a mind game for you.

Maybe you thought God was "in the mountains", "in the clouds", "in space" - whatever floats your boat - but I have never even suggested a specific location. I believe He is everywhere - wherever He wishes to be. Describe that location for me, eh? How does one "run out" of everywhere? Infinity is mysterious.

You are a fool if you think I ever have offered any evidence for God's existence, and you are a liar if you say that I have. God defines Himself and provides His evidence through His relationships with those who choose to join with Him. It may hurt you in a critical place to realize that God cannot be defined by humans - even a very special human like you. It may hurt even more that your inability to define Him - to put Him in your special box - has zero to do with His existence. He will be the Almighty regardless of your abilities.

If you would like some relief (or even diversion) from trying to tell Christians what they should, or can, or cannot, or must do and what/how they should be able to believe - and some relief from struggling to disprove Something that cannot be disproven - and some relief from trying to define the indefineable - try looking into and understanding the dynamics of faith.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
These God, evolution, creation, threads solve nothing and change no minds on the subject.

Yet they continually get posted. Gotta wonder if it's just to piss off the other side.

eta: not directed towards any individual.

Last edited by ironbender; 12/15/14.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by denton
4ager, your question/objection is a commonly held view: How could a just God allow such terrible things?

But consider the alternative. Assume that He forced us all to do right, all the time. Would you prefer a world where you had no choice?

Not so. That's not the alternative.

If He loved as his followers proclaimed, He could alter history and the present to negate much of that suffering without interfering with free will. Remember, He's everywhere, in everything, all knowing, and all powerful, right? And, He is Love Incarnate, right?

If He was, He could negate that without negating free will. He has not, does not, and will not.

The "It's God's Will" excuse is tired and old. It no longer holds water.

Lets look at this another way. Say I am wrong and you are right. What have I lost? Absolutely nothing. I have just done my best to live a good life in spite of my failures. If I am wrong and I die and there is no heaven I am just dad and along with me all my pain is gone.

Now if I am right I get to go to a better place where the joys are even better than my list above. Now not considering Hell at all if I am right then non believers do not get that joy. even if I am wrong I don't loose.

Okay, and?

All I have to do is utter an incantation, once, and I get the same benefits you do. Anyone can hedge that bet.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. An "incantation" is just words. Words are not evidence of a changed life. Not evidence of being in the Master's hand.

See Matthew 7:23 for further insight.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ready,

That may well all be as it may and not for me to settle.

What I do know is this:

Sitting down at a restaurant is what I do, when I am hungry. Any information passed onto the table I am allowed to occupy other than the menue is not welcome.

And this is in no way a reflection of my believe.

I guess I didn't make it clear. She sat down at the next table for a continuation of the conversation from when she approached us.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TF49
Which is an absence of good, so God isn't there?

I am seeing the depravity of man. Manifested in evil acts.

Also, I would not agree that evil is simply "the absence of God."

Anybody else seeing "depravity" here?

TF

That He allows, encourages, and creates. Either God is in everything and is everywhere at all times, and this is there in that and doing that, or He is not everywhere, in all things, all knowing and all doing. There are only two options.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ironbender,

These God, evolution, creation, threads solve nothing and change no minds on the subject.

If you read all these threads you would realize your post is in error. My mind has been changed by others.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TF49

Okay, and?

All I have to do is utter an incantation, once, and I get the same benefits you do. Anyone can hedge that bet.

Nope, it doesn't work that way. An "incantation" is just words. Words are not evidence of a changed life. Not evidence of being in the Master's hand.

See Matthew 7:23 for further insight.

TF

Read it. All I have to do is say I accept Jesus and my Lord and Savior and beg forgiveness for my sins. Done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
These God, evolution, creation, threads solve nothing and change no minds on the subject. Yet they continually get posted. Gotta wonder if it's just to piss off the other side. eta: not directed towards any individual.

I think you are correct in your view that such threads solve nothing. Can't be so certain that no minds are changed. Have never started such a thread and can't speak to the intent of those who do - but seems like some pissedoffedness does happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yet they continually get posted. Gotta wonder if it's just to piss off the other side.

eta: not directed towards any individual.

Not trying to piss anyone off. Frankly, I think they get posted because the ones posting aren't nearly as secure in their own beliefs as they'd like everyone else to think that they are.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.