Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cooperfan
told you

He may have Heaven in name, but I doubt he will see it

What does that have to do with the OPs question?

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shodd[/quote

What does that have to do with the OPs question?

Shod

To the OP, If you want a fixed power scope, I sure do like the Leupold 6x36. I would probably put a #1 reticle in it and rock on.

If you went variable I would like to see a 3-9x40 Trijicon on that rifle with a Green BAC reticle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Post a pic, any pic, besides your black cum slurping mother.

WOW!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Werent some guys saying there was an "eye relief" mounting issue on long actions?? Curious as to how it works out for you.

Ive own a couple of the older K4's one on a long one on a short...never an issue with me.

I was happy with a new style K4 on a long-action 700. I tried to use the K6 on a long-action 77. It seemed good at the range, but out hunting in heavy clothing it was unusable. I couldn't get my eye close enough to the scope.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Youper
Werent some guys saying there was an "eye relief" mounting issue on long actions?? Curious as to how it works out for you.

Ive own a couple of the older K4's one on a long one on a short...never an issue with me.

I was happy with a new style K4 on a long-action 700. I tried to use the K6 on a long-action 77. It seemed good at the range, but out hunting in heavy clothing it was unusable. I couldn't get my eye close enough to the scope.

Eye relief is only about a quarter inch longer on the 4x versus the 6x. Same length, dimensions, etc. Maybe it was the Ruger rings that didn't allow it??

I'll be using them with reversed Talley's up front on the long actions. So we shall see.

It is funny, though....that Weaver doesn't list the tube length for mounting. I couldn't find that spec anywhere.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Post a pic, any pic, besides your black cum slurping mother.

WOW!

I thought this was a family oriented forum. smile

Shod

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It is, I included his family. If he don't like it, he shouldn't have started it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Youper

Eye relief is only about a quarter inch longer on the 4x versus the 6x. Same length, dimensions, etc. Maybe it was the Ruger rings that didn't allow it??

I'll be using them with reversed Talley's up front on the long actions. So we shall see.

It is funny, though....that Weaver doesn't list the tube length for mounting. I couldn't find that spec anywhere.

I only checked specs on Midway earlier today and they listed 3.3" on the K4 and 3.6" on the K6. Wonder if they have a typo and those are reversed? I would expect the 4 to have more than the 6... I feel part of the mounting/eye relief issues I've had were related to the short tube length and long taper on the objective bell that prevents the scope from being positioned far enough back.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Weaver's website lists 3.43" for the K4 & 3.15" for the K6.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's more what I remember from my old one - definite no-go for me...

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tbear99
ok i got a marlin 444 that i hunt with.I need to figure out a scope for this gun.I was using a cheap 4-12 bushnell that gave out this year after several years.I use a old k4 weaver on my savage 99's and like the fixed 4x power scopes.This is only a 200 yard gun if i need longer range i'd switch to a better suited gun.My standard shots are from 30 yards to 150 with majority around 50 or 100 yards.

So wich scope would you recomend for my situation

So why does the consensus seem to be that you need a 6x scope for a 200 yard shot? Give me the extra field of view and faster target acquisition of a 4x or a 2.5x at that range. A 6x on a "brush gun" is kind of like doing trim work with a framing hammer sure you can pull it off, but there are better tools for the job.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by jimmyp
gosh, for a big lever gun used mostly in brush out to 200 yards seems like more than 4X would be a waste. I would not want a 6X on it.

Have you ever used one?

yes I have one on a muzzle loader and plan to buy another or move the one I have to a cartridge rifle. I will probably wind up with another Meopta Meopro with the #4 for my Kimber 308.

here is my pretend scenario that I just dreamed up, your sitting in a ground blind in Georgia at sunset plus 20 on a dirt road in an oak thicket, your hear a deer walking briskly thru the leaves up the hill and it pops out about 50 yards away and is walking briskly across the road, what do you have in your hands your bino's or your rifle? I guess you have 4-5 seconds. Again I don't hunt much but like to watch it on TV so just wondering.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
ok i got a marlin 444 that i hunt with.I need to figure out a scope for this gun.I was using a cheap 4-12 bushnell that gave out this year after several years.I use a old k4 weaver on my savage 99's and like the fixed 4x power scopes.This is only a 200 yard gun if i need longer range i'd switch to a better suited gun.My standard shots are from 30 yards to 150 with majority around 50 or 100 yards.

A 6x is GREAT in the thick stuff.

So why does the consensus seem to be that you need a 6x scope for a 200 yard shot? Give me the extra field of view and faster target acquisition of a 4x or a 2.5x at that range. A 6x on a "brush gun" is kind of like doing trim work with a framing hammer sure you can pull it off, but there are better tools for the job.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Tim,

You are absolutely correct! Why give up so much feild of veiw? Bobin also offered a word of wisdom back on I believe page 2.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sence putting a 600 yd scope on a 200 yd rifle.

Shod

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You can't pay for this kind of humor.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I have nothing against 6x scopes. I have plenty of experience with them over nearly four decades, and currently own 3, but I wouldn't have one on a .444 Marlin. IMHO a 4x makes much better sense, and is much better suited in particular to shots which may be close and on fast moving game, where my own direct experience tells me a 6x is not as well suited, as well as having plenty of magnification for shots out to the 200 yard mark.

As I said some pages back, that is what I found worked very well on my own Marlin, and what I have for a similar application on a 9.3.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can't pay for this kind of humor.

I never offered to pay! grin

Shod

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Shodd
Why give up so much feild of veiw? Bobin also offered a word of wisdom back on I believe page 2.

Shod

If by chance you don't shoot with both eyes open, then give it some practice time and you will see the FOV is not all that different.

Last edited by battue; 12/15/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both eyes open are the way to go. Some guys can do it with 10x at pretty close range but that's not the norm. If you're a right handed shooter and slightly left eye dominate you won the genetic lotto.

A right handed shooter who is strongly right eye dominant is going to have a very hard time shooting both eyes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
we have to have a picture of see through mounts to be complete.

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.