Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Bob
I Have a never had a problem with my NF scopes. I figure they will last my life. They are great tools. Was not my intent to start a fight. I will happily send a scope or rifle for you to try in any above which I spoke.
Best Rick Menefee

P.s. I'll know crawl back to the knife forum before being raped by a mall Ninja.

Take the whistle just in case.

Hopefully you didn't send me your last one.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 4321
GFY.

That's about as original as the rest of your commentary.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Taking nothing away from Pat whose posts are as informative as they are enjoyable, Formidilosus appears to have a significant and relevant background by many of his comments that I have seen. EHG, definitely carries weight.

Countdown 4321, no comment.

You're welcome Ryan.

What is Formid's background? I believe he is ex-military, which I have the utmost gratitude and respect for, but what is his background that makes him as much of an expert as he claims he is? I've asked him before and gotten no answer. Just curious.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/15/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider

What is Formid's background? I believe he is ex-military, which I have the utmost gratitude and respect for, but what is his background that makes him as much of an expert as he claims he is?
[/quote]

He shoots other people's ammo, a lot apparently. I have an idea or two where he works but that is his business. He and I were discussing Air Force CCT capabilities and training in a thread last week, he told me some things about them I did not know, and I was SF (and had CCT attatched to my ODA on occasion)

I just happened to be training some CCT guys this past week. Everything he said was spot on. No non-SOF guys would know that. Fact.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Taking nothing away from Pat whose posts are as informative as they are enjoyable, Formidilosus appears to have a significant and relevant background by many of his comments that I have seen. EHG, definitely carries weight.

Countdown 4321, no comment.

You're welcome Ryan.

What is Formid's background? I believe he is ex-military, which I have the utmost gratitude and respect for, but what is his background that makes him as much of an expert as he claims he is? I've asked him before and gotten no answer. Just curious.

As I said, appear. Just reading the consistency and context of his comments over time creates an impression in my mind. I have no specifics. EHG, I do know a bit more, and his comments are definitely worth considering.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I have a clue but will let Formi fill you in if he desires. I will say we are fortunate to have his perspective, which i weigh very heavily.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob - I just grabbed a 2.5-10x42 in the MOAR reticle and really like it. Heavy and built like tanks, but extremely repeatable. If you want to have a yardage turret made for it, Gunwerks will do one for you too. That one for $1350 posted above is a great price (I paid $1450 for mine new on sale).

I'm a Swarovski slut but when I feel like spinning turrets on a rifle, I usually go to Nightforce as they are so repeatable and I'm not a fan of the fine Swaro BT duplex reticle - I swap them over to BRH reticles on my Z6's with turrets.

You could also probably get away with that Nightforce high velocity reticle on a 7 mag - kind of a cool holdover reticle.

Joe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By no means were any of my posts taking a Jab at ScenarShooter... IMO the 4-16 S&B that he referenced is probably one of the BEST S&B's made along with the 10x42 ... The M8541 that I referenced did have numerous problems originally and a large number of the original contract scopes had to be fixed including both Gen1 and Gen2 versions...

I have no idea who Formi is or do I care... I don't think his stance on S&B included the 4-16 Genera that Scenar and his SF buddy use ... If he has been around/used them he would be in the know that it is a stand up optic... I believe his problem with S&B scopes is the PRS Genera which has been problematic and does have issues... The scope that Scenars friend uses is more than likely a Unit purchased optic and not a contract optic...

As for me, well I'm just a half Breed taco eating mountain ape that shoots every now and then, so take what I say with a grain or three of salt...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

As for me, well I'm just a half Breed taco eating mountain ape that doesn't reply to PM's

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

As for me, well I'm just a half Breed taco eating mountain ape that doesn't reply to PM's from homosexuals

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
By no means were any of my posts taking a Jab at ScenarShooter... IMO the 4-16 S&B that he referenced is probably one of the BEST S&B's made along with the 10x42 ... The M8541 that I referenced did have numerous problems originally and a large number of the original contract scopes had to be fixed including both Gen1 and Gen2 versions...

I have no idea who Formi is or do I care... I don't think his stance on S&B included the 4-16 Genera that Scenar and his SF buddy use ... If he has been around/used them he would be in the know that it is a stand up optic... I believe his problem with S&B scopes is the PRS Genera which has been problematic and does have issues... The scope that Scenars friend uses is more than likely a Unit purchased optic and not a contract optic...

As for me, well I'm just a half Breed taco eating mountain ape that shoots every now and then, so take what I say with a grain or three of salt...

100% correct with regards to S&B's and almost verbatim as to what was in my original post last night. It just isn't worth the effort to argue over. Pat seems like a stand up guy and I'm not getting in a penis measuring contest with anyone.

The 4-16x PMII's were unit purchases and almost always with H37 rets (at least that I have seen) and were very good scopes. Likewise the 1.1-4x Shortdot is and was a great scope, though has been eclipsed. S&B's problems started with 8541's whether that was thier fault or another's, and have continued with the PSR's. This isn't a secret in the sniping community where they are issued. The instructors at the committee that had a big hand in them getting selected don't even use them by and large, as they have issues holding zero. It's an issued optic and I see and use them regularly. They have problems.

Believe what you want, talk smack, it won't change it.

Originally Posted by ctsmith

I have a clue but will let Formi fill you in if he desires. I will say we are fortunate to have his perspective, which i weigh very heavily.

Thank you.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

As for me, well I'm just a half Breed taco eating mountain ape that doesn't reply to PM's from homosexuals

Esp from ones named Polesmoker.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Formi: what scope would you issue if it was up to you?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
PS: when I shot on the Quantico Combat shoot two years ago, I got to spend a lot of time between stations with a Sergeant who was in the middle of an assignment as an Instructor at the Scout/Sniper School. I brought up the Schmidt and Benders that were being issued and he said that at first everyone was pretty star struck with them but once they started shooting with them they starting seeing problems with zero retention and adjustments.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

He's returned every one I ever sent.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

He's returned every one I ever sent.

He likes queers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so was/is the 4-16x50 made differently than the 3-12x50...?
seems like one of them has been great....
did materials/construction change?
the short dots performed well also... so it seems like we are lumping all into one?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SAKO75
so it seems like we are lumping all into one?

No, but you appear to be trying to. No one said anything negative about any S&B scope except the USMC contract scopes.

Last edited by 4321; 12/16/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like the MOAR reticle, that particular scope was my favorite scope but I could not get it to fit my long action due to the short mounting length.
I have been using the new bushnell LRHS and really like the scope but would like it more in MOA and second focal plane.

Good luck with the new scope, if it fits your rifle it will be a great addition.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
8nbait: Thanks!

But can't you easily get past mounting issues on a LA with a picatinny rail?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.