Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In reading the stop light thread I was wondering if there was ever a reason to give consent to have your vehicle voluntarily searched. What could be the downside of making the Leo produce a search warrant outlining what exactly they were looking for?

I'm not trying to bash cops but truly curious about what possible benefit it could be to me to consent to a search?

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're hiding something they'll find it. If you're not hiding anything it'll waste your time. Lose / Lose

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
only if you have nothing to hide, saying no will make them just search harder and do more damage to your car

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was under the impression that a warrant was pretty specific and not an open ticket to look for anything and everything. How many times can you go to a judge for a warrant and come back empty handed on a fishing expedition?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bea175
only if you have nothing to hide, saying no will make them just search harder and do more damage to your car

That seems fair.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they think they have probable cause and you say no, they'll impound the vehicle and take you into custody until they can get a search warrant.

If you say yes and they find something, it'll be the same outcome.

If they don't think there's probable cause and you haven't acted like a jerk, they probably won't ask to search in the first place.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If you're hiding something they'll find it. If you're not hiding anything it'll waste your time. Lose / Lose
couple years back, I denied a local Sheriff Deputy a look see in my 4Runner. He said he could get a warrant. Told the lad to go ahead, as I was retired, had no place to go that afternoon, had a book to read, and a bottle of water.
His Sargent told him just don't bother, and they left.

Sam......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Who knows. I would never let somebody search my car without a warrent. That is based on all the advice I have ever been given, wether it was a lawyer or police friends.

257wby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know that Rocky and I have never been asked to search in my 45+ years of driving but it's a different situation with my kids. They seem to get stopped for virtually nothing and are always asked to search. Nothing has ever been found. Just seems like fishing to me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hypothetical for the "if you have nothing to hide" crowd, you buy a used car and after you consent to a search the officer finds some marijuana that the previous teenage owner left you as a present in a tiny crevice. Now you're going to jail.....

I would absolutely positively never let an officer search my vehicle, home, etc. without a valid and signed search warrant.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

I would absolutely positively never let an officer search my vehicle, home, etc. without a valid and signed search warrant.

Smart fellow. How is the optic working for your brother?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't find my brass knuckles anywhere.
I'm afraid they are in the truck somewhere.
LEO could probably find 'em for me.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4321:
He likes the ACOG quite a bit. I had a little tomfoolery in getting it shipped his way, but that's USPS. The seller is a stand-up guy, despite his views on fitness grin

Now if I could only convince his wife to be a republican....

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard of a cop that always finds 2 pot seeds whenever he wants just like magic. Him and guys like him are the reason that you do not want to give permission to anybody to poke around in your car.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The SCOTUS has ruled that a warrant isn't needed for a vehicle, just consent or probable cause.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
257wby: I have been driving vehicles for 51 years now and drive more than 95% of the citizens in our United States - I have NEVER been asked to have my vehicle searched.
I have been stopped maybe 6 times in all those many hundreds of thousands of miles of driving - and never received a citation, only warnigs for various minor offenses (bad order tail-lights, headlights etc!).
AND... I do NOT commit crimes or indulge in criminal activities/conspiracies so in the extremely remote possibility of a circumstance where a Law Enorcement Officer of any type asked to search me or my vehicle or my home I would tell them to go right ahead!
This site (24hourcampfire) seems to be getting more and more paranoid and anti-establishment types on it every year - thats NOT a good thing and is quite puzzling to me.
I admit that I go out of my way of recent to buy non-registered firearms (obama and holder proof) as opposed to 4473'ed guns but that is not paranoia nor is it a crime!
This is a thought out and non-criminal policy of mine.
If you are not a criminal (doper, smuggler, burglar, rapist, muderer etc etc etc!) then what possible harm would befall you if you allowed a search of yourself, your vehicle or your home?
Paranoia runs deep - as the old anti-establishment song goes!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The SCOTUS has ruled that a warrant isn't needed for a vehicle, just consent or probable cause.

And since I think a warrant requires probable cause, they're either gonna search you on the spot or not. The "I can get a warrant" is just a threat...

If they're really serious about wanting to get probably cause to search your car, they'll bring in a dog.

PS: Or they can always keep you overnight for whatever reason. When they impound the car they can do an inventory - and an inventory is not a search.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/16/14.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gave consent once.

Stopped by female officer and told her that I had something in my front pocket.

No the other front pocket.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
This site (24hourcampfire) seems to be getting more and more paranoid and anti-establishment types on it every year - thats NOT a good thing and is quite puzzling to me.

That is because there is thin line between anarchy and libertarianism and unfortunately, most anarchists believe they're libertarians.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got nothing to hide and have owned my vehicles for over ten years each. I would let them search but get in writing they will put it back the way it was before said search commences!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 987 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.