Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't think I've ever heard more than conspicuous jibber jabber and raving of how the "post 64" rifles are junk and the pre-64's are better... so my question is can you list what one should be looking for.. Kind of a hitch-hikers guide if you will.

Can someone cleanly state what parts and processes changed.
OR
The accuracy or other reasons.

So far the only one I remember that was mentioned like that (not that I know this is true)

1) Metal to wood finish "fit" is better on a pre-64?

2) Metal to metal (bolt to action, lug contact, ... ) are tighter ?

3) Blueing is higher quality ?

4) The barrels were made by hot looking Swedish chicks listed in the 223 AI thread.

I was Born in 64 so I want to know....

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/17/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, some of the later pre-64's were not so nice. The post 63's were not either. It took a while for Winchester to get it right, maybe it was due to a change of owners.The pre-64's were too expensive to make. The post 63's were made cheap.
(I own a classic 70 in 338 that has the extractor people coo about and that rifle is a work of art and I have no problems with it's accuracy. I don't hate Winchesters!)
To further answer your question. The wood to metal fit was poor during this period of time. The quality of finish went down after 63. the blueing went South, etc.
My cousin brought over a Model 94 30-30 bought in about 64. The best groups we could get with it would not be covered by a pie plate at 100 yards. It was sad days for Winchester.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/17/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Probably as big as anything is the pre-64 controlled round feed action, versus the later push feed. A reliability issue.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Probably as big as anything is the pre-64 controlled round feed action, versus the later push feed. A reliability issue.

Can you show documented cases where the CRF actually saved someone's azz?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look for pressed checkering instead of hand checkering. It really started earlier than 1964. They quit hand polishing the internal parts and replaced workers with machines.

It's the reason the pre's demand a premium.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pre-64s have a one-piece bolt. I.E. Bolt handle and bolt body are forged out of one piece of steel.

I've had at least one bolt handle come off of a post-64 Model 70.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Because you can get a 22Hornet or 243 in a LONG ACTION and have one all up under 11 pounds.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Because you can get a 22Hornet or 243 in a LONG ACTION and have one all up under 11 pounds.

Yeah...but they'll save you from charging rhinos upside down.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And the only rifles that beat them in the accuracy department are Remington, Ruger, Tikka, Savage, Browning, Marlin....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cause they're old like me

and people should appreciate old chit

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Then I give you some real old chit to appreciate.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never owned one, but I have family that treasure them.

The designs were unquestionably cheapened in 64, to please bean counters - which offended a lot of people of conservative values. i.e. if it works, don't mess with it. Prior to that, it was a reliable (if heavy), well made all-American rifle, from America's most famous Gunmaker, and many returning WWII vets sought them out as a matter of national pride, and also because they were a genuinely good rifle. O'Connor and others used them. I know of one .30-06 Featherweight that shoots very well, and supposedly spent time with a mercenary in Africa. I take the story with a grain of salt, but it does shoot well.

Some shot better than others, but most people say they never had one that wasn't decently accurate, or functioned correctly. Some guys point out that the flat bottomed, forged action is easier to bed than a round bar stock action, like a 700.

To me, they are a bit heavy for a deer rifle. I think they hit the sweet spot starting at .300 mag then .338 and .375, where the weight is not a bad thing.

Technically, there are better rifles today, but like the Savage 99, they were interesting and well made, and they aren't making any more of them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

The control round feed came back eventually. I think the biggest difference is the coned breech. I have never had a problem with accuracy or dependability with my pre or post 64s.

Scott is right about the long action thing. I had a pre-64 220 Swift and I got rid of it, who needs a 22 caliber sporter that weighs 9 lbs? If it had something tighter than a 14 1/2" twist I might have kept it but it wouldn't shoot 55 grain polymer tipped bullets or even a 60 grain Partition. It was strictly a varmint gun.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought a new 1968 Model 70 in 7 rem mag. In three shots it walked off the paper at 100yards from the barrel touching the stock. Then the ejector broke. Instead of plunger type it had a little clip. I have finished new stocks and refinished quite a few old ones and my worse ones were far better than the original finish on that 7 mag

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't wait to see you

and feed you a home cooked meal

Vienna sausages and lutefisk sound ok?

it's a lil early out my way to be showing horror films, but thanks for your offering grin

all's needed now is Travis to tell us "I'd hit it"

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The term "need" keeps coming up. If need had anything to do with what people owned and hunted with, the world would be a boring place. I like a pre-64 for all the reasons Steelhead mentioned and a few more. I don't own a single one because I need it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Speaking of old chit.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of those that if you have to ask...That and of course their safeties actually WORK, their extractors aren't made of sheet metal, their handles aren't glued on and they are extremely accurate. The CRF/PF, not that big of a deal in my book, but no question EXTRACTION is more reliable with a CRF, not to mention Professional Hunters, whose very lives depend on their rifle, almost to a man prefer the CRF. One thing is for sure though, if you are into smaller calibers that fit in short actions, then look elsewhere...anywhere besides a 700 that is...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cause dad bought it new, in 1956.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The number one reason is that you can sell them for more money, since people will pay more for them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 35 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,280
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.