Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I just went through my safes of guns and I did find a fixed power K-3 on my single shot 22. Other than that I don't own a fixed power scope. I am happy for all you 4x and 6X users, but I have plenty of power on some of my scopes and more power on all of the rest.

I haven't ever found a situation where a variable was a disadvantage. I have shot 10's of thousands of rounds through variables and only had 2 issues with one particular scope. I haven't found the weak link to a variable and will continue to hunt and kill lots of stuff with them...

Shrapnel....I have rifles with......both! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer lower magnification scopes and I like fixed power scopes on many of my rifles - mostly light rifles. I have two 3x-9x scopes on rifles that might be used for pronghorns.

Many rifles that I buy have 3x-9x scopes on them and I sell those scopes cheap at gun shows.

I do not like variables and high power scopes for several reasons. But the main is they are an abnomination on light rifles. I do have a couple fixed high power scopes for heavy barrelled prairie dog rifles. You can have your 4x-12x and up scopes. They would be on my table at a gun show no matter what brand they are.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/17/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by hangunnr
......or you could just use binoculars to look at things instead of pointing your rifle at them.
CR

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yep.
If you have time to fiddle with scope magnification, or watch the buck chase a doe for several minutes, you have time to use binos.

Okay fellas, I'm going to be nice.
I'll not say how your statements show your ignorance and inexperience at WT hunting in the South or any thicker vegetation. I'll not mention how little time we have MOST of the time in an encounter with a WT buck.

I'll not mention how it takes longer to focus binos than to TWIST the adjustment ring on a variable scope.

Oh! the horror of pointing a rifle at a deer "DURING" deer season!!

WT hunting in many places is quite different than goat hunting on the prairie.

Some things can only be learned thru experience with WT in typical WT habitat.

Please give me credit, I could have been much more critical.

My binocs don't require focusing.

I use binocs to judge all deer before shooting.

I DO like the extra X on the scope at times though, it helps threading the needle with the bullet on 300 plus yard shots into the brush that I often have chances at.

If it were all wide open, iron sights could be more than enough.

The only issue I had once, with 0X on a red dot, was not seeing a small hard vine in front of a buck in a swamp... For the life of me I could not figure out why that buck didn't just run a bit and fall over... had to back track after about 150 yards to figure things out, found the vine that I"d never seen, clipped in half... and after quite a ways started finding bone fragments that indicated probably deflected from heart to a low leg shot. Followed that trail and that deer for over 7 hours before we lost the trail... he was still going last time I got a glimpse of him.

But even him, I'd glassed as legal when he was walking up.

I won't use the scope to judge whether big enough or legal but I sure see the use of larger X on scopes at times...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I do get your area vs time. I have lost shots due to glassing with binocs.... just my choice I guess.

Was reared not to pick the gun up until I knew I was going to shoot. I guess it stuck and there isn't anything wrong with that.

And as long as you identify the game as game and know what it is and choose to "glass" it with the scope, who cares.

But I've also lost shots just becuase I wasn't fast enough to chamber a round and get on the deer.

Wasn't a big loss though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bugger

Many rifles that I buy have 3x-9x scopes on them and I sell those scopes cheap at gun shows.

I wish I knew when/where your shows are!!

The reason I prefer light weight rifles is that it allows room for a somewhat LARGER scope and still maintain reasonable weight overall.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Unless you've gleaned more information somehow from the OP......he doesn't say that. On one, he said he had to turn his scope up with deer at 200 yards - so I gather that he had more time than you put on.
The other, he said he watched it for several minutes. More time than you put on. Every situation is different. But it sounded to me and several others that he had time.

As y'all know we don't have time/space to include every detail.

On no.1 I did not have time to use binos and THEN get the shot. It takes LESS than 1 second to crank up the variable.

On no.2 I COULD have used binos BUT my scope is 4-12X and I don't use 12X binos. Most of the reading I've done indicates that more 8 or 10 X binos are used than those larger than 10X. I've not done any survey per bino power, just my impression.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

..... It mostly boils down to the oh schit factor laugh

laugh laugh laugh
Yeah, I've HAD my share of those moments. blush

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was brought up with the rule that you don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot. How many times have you seen a flash of color in the woods and leveled your rifle on it only to find out it's Billyjoejimbob your neighbor out walking his dog. I'm sure he appreciates you turning your scope up to verify that he wasn't a deer. I've had a firearm leveled at me by a numbnut that thought it was a good idea to verify what he was looking at through his gunsight.

Your assumption that someone doesn't have any experience with hunting WT is absolutely laughable just because they can find fault in your methods.

The antler restrictions you're throttled with surely suck ( I witnessed it first hand in Pennsylvania) but that isn't an excuse for poor gun handling.

CR

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The antler restrictions you're throttled with surely suck ( I witnessed it first hand in Pennsylvania) but that isn't an excuse for poor gun handling.

CR

I've dealt with antler point restrictions in my home state of Missouri for the past several years (at least 4 pts on one side). Best thing to happen to our deer hunting in my opinion. Has significantly improved the quality of bucks in my hunting area. If you want one to eat, there's plenty of does. Wouldn't think of going deer hunting without good binoculars. Probably as important as the scope.

Last edited by boltgunjim; 12/17/14.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I was brought up with the rule that you don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot. How many times have you seen a flash of color in the woods and leveled your rifle on it only to find out it's Billyjoejimbob your neighbor out walking his dog. I'm sure he appreciates you turning your scope up to verify that he wasn't a deer. I've had a firearm leveled at me by a numbnut that thought it was a good idea to verify what he was looking at through his gunsight.

Your assumption that someone doesn't have any experience with hunting WT is absolutely laughable just because they can find fault in your methods.

CR

Some don't get it. One knows it is a deer before he goes to the scope. Duh.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

One knows it is a deer before he goes to the scope. Duh.

Tell that to the families of those hunters killed or injured because the shooter just knew he was shooting at a deer.......

Duh.....indeed.

CR

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Tell that to the families of those hunters killed or injured because the shooter just knew he was shooting at a deer.......

Duh.....indeed.

CR

Obviously he did not know if he shot someone. DUH! Identify first DUH!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
...... Identify first......

Good, I knew you'd eventually get up to speed. Absolutely correct, identify first before leveling your firearm on the target.

CR

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I was brought up with the rule that you don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot. How many times have you seen a flash of color in the woods and leveled your rifle on it only to find out it's Billyjoejimbob your neighbor out walking his dog.
CR

To answer your ?.

I have NEVER repeat NEVER scoped 'something' to find out it was a PERSON!!

I was raised and taught proper gun handling and hunting 'ethics'. I would NOT like being scoped nor 'ironed'...so I don't do it !!

Your ASSumption that I have is too, laughable.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys let me remind us that the theme of MY thread is using scopes for DEER.

There are many tangents we go off on but those are not the subject!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Good, I knew you'd eventually get up to speed. Absolutely correct, identify first before leveling your firearm on the target.

CR

No you just caught on.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jwall

To answer your ?.

I have NEVER repeat NEVER scoped 'something' to find out it was a PERSON!!

Good, glad to hear it. So, what will your position be if and when it does happen?

CR

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally, I think threads about,good reasons to shoot an uber-magnum are much more useful.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

CR

What part of this post did you not get? "one know it is a deer" too complicated?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What part of this statement didn't you understand?

"Tell that to the families of those hunters killed or injured because the shooter just knew he was shooting at a deer......."

CR

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.