Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by derby_dude

And no I was never ever a stupid kid.

No.

You saved all your stupidity for adulthood.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DMc
The Grand Prairie police (TX) placed a flatbed trailer (with a flat tire) loaded with brand new tires on the shoulder of Interstate 20. That night, they made 18 arrest for theft. A judge dismissed all 18 cases calling the endeavor; "entrapment".

The Fort Worth police placed a bicycle on a sidewalk next to a parking meter along a commercial (retail) street. (University Drive), however the bicycle had a tracking device hidden in it. The police followed the signal to a garage and made an arrest. This conviction stood.

The difference in these 2 cases is the Grand Prairie Police had "eyes on" even filming the thefts, while the Fort Worth police followed a tracking signal. Entrapment laws are confusing to me and I won't pretend to understand them, but in my opinion all of the arrests should have stood!

When I was a teen, MANY years ago, another case involved a store-owner who was burglarized multiple times. He set up a booby trap that killed the next intruder. He too, was convicted of murder. Doesn't make sense to me..., either you can protect your property or you can't.

DMc

We have all come across reports where game wardens use deer decoys to catch poachers committing all kinds of illegal acts similar to the GP police with their flat bed bait. How is it that the wildlife police are successful at getting convictions whereas the GP police could not? Is there more to the story with the GP police?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rattler

except for all the stupid chit i and my friends did, two things we did not do were steal and go into strangers houses....yeah we destroyed chit but it belonged to one of us....we damn near killed each other in our stupidity but we werent stealing chit from people......

That has nothing to do with the case.

I don't know why people keep bringing it up.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RobJordan
About 3 years ago I defended a murder case (successfully) in which the trespasser was found on a third story balcony in the middle of the night. He then climbed down to a second story porch and stood on the railing. The female homeowner was freaked, had two little twin girls in bed on the third floor and called her ex-husband to come over ASAP. Th ex lived a few doors down. He had the trespasser at gunpoint and told him he was armed and don't move. So the stupid trespasser (later determined to be drunk) jumped down from the railing to the floor of the 2nd story porch (he had been on the third story window peeking) onto the same level as the homeowner. The ex-husband was inside the house, pointing a .357 mag out the window maybe 6 feet away from where the trespasser was standing (on the railing) and when the trespasser jumped, he drilled him.

Turned out the trespasser was an intoxicated 25 year old kid looking for a piece or ass (which he'd gotten once a month or two earlier) from the ex-husband's wife. Course, the ex-husband didn't know that and didn't have a clue who the trespasser was at the time of the shoot.

The argument that worked was, 2:00 in the morning, on the third and second floor of a house in a remote part of the county, a stranger peeking in the third story windows where your little girls are sleeping. What'sa reasonable parent to do? Trespasser could have been armed and could have been anyone, a rapist, a gang-banger, chi mo, who knows. Ex-husband gave him a firm order not to move and warned him he had a gun on him and would shoot and the kid jumped anyway.

Jury acquitted. Said it was a perfectly reasonable response from the ex-husband. We could not use California's Castle Doctrine (presumption that deadly force used inside the home against an intruder is lawful) because the trespasser was not inside the home.

Tragic case, actually. Alcohol, marijuana, trespassing and burglary is plain stupid when you don't have a clue whether the homeowner is armed or not.

Jordan

DITTOS and in this situation based on your information I would have done the same thing.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by DMc
The Grand Prairie police (TX) placed a flatbed trailer (with a flat tire) loaded with brand new tires on the shoulder of Interstate 20. That night, they made 18 arrest for theft. A judge dismissed all 18 cases calling the endeavor; "entrapment".

The Fort Worth police placed a bicycle on a sidewalk next to a parking meter along a commercial (retail) street. (University Drive), however the bicycle had a tracking device hidden in it. The police followed the signal to a garage and made an arrest. This conviction stood.

The difference in these 2 cases is the Grand Prairie Police had "eyes on" even filming the thefts, while the Fort Worth police followed a tracking signal. Entrapment laws are confusing to me and I won't pretend to understand them, but in my opinion all of the arrests should have stood!

When I was a teen, MANY years ago, another case involved a store-owner who was burglarized multiple times. He set up a booby trap that killed the next intruder. He too, was convicted of murder. Doesn't make sense to me..., either you can protect your property or you can't.

DMc

We have all come across reports where game wardens use deer decoys to catch poachers committing all kinds of illegal acts similar to the GP police with their flat bed bait. How is it that the wildlife police are successful at getting convictions whereas the GP police could not? Is there more to the story with the GP police?

Mostly because people don't contest wildlife convictions as that it is an administrative fine. In many places, it isn't even a violation of criminal law but an administrative fine.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The best lawyers in the world can't save you from your own stupid statements.

Two things: 1) Only a fool would set a trap like that for someone he knew wasn't a threat; and 2) Only a bigger fool would tell ANYONE about it beforehand if he did and give any kind of statement afterwards.

Whatever the facts of what the man actually did, given that the kid was clearly an intruder in another's home, there would never/could never have been a conviction without statements from the accused before and after the event. Ninety percent of the people in prison today would not be there if they could master one simple skill, shut up.

TRUE!

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The German kid did something stupid and it cost him his life.

Karma did something stupid and it cost him his life.

Lesson of the day: Let's not do stupid stuff. More than just two lives were ruined here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
The case hinged on this:

"Montana Shooting Sports Association President Gary Marbut said those laws were not in question during the Kaarma trial. Neither, he added, was the "Castle Doctrine" concept that a person is entitled to use lethal force in self-defense.

But a legal change that Marbut supported in the 2009 Legislature did get tested and come through with a good result, he said. That was a new law that required the prosecution to prove someone claiming self-defense was in fact guilty, instead of making the defendant prove innocence.

�That�s the standard that applied to the Kaarma trial, and the prosecution was able to meet that burden,� Marbut said."

http://missoulian.com/news/local/gu...85cb983-cbbc-5986-b336-8f4f5b401513.html

It's a fairly well known fact a lot of Missoula HS students go into garages in hopes of finding booze, which was apparently the German kids motivation.

Teenage kids do stupid and irresponsible things that don't deserve what is essentially an execution. If that's not true, we'd all have been executed by age 17...

Perhaps if more stupid and irresponsible teenage kids were "execution" before age 17 this country would be in better shape and the prisons would not be quite so full.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave93
The German kid did something stupid and it cost him his life.

Karma did something stupid and it cost him his life.

Lesson of the day: Let's not do stupid stuff. More than just two lives were ruined here.

DITTOS!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by DMc

DMc

The only convictions the Game Wardens got were from shooting off the road, and damage to the deer. No game laws were broken.

IIRC, a Judge in S.Texas ruled it entrapment and they stopped doing it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I skipped straight to the end.

Is the guy with the most ironic last name ever still wrongfully convicted?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Is the guy with the most ironic last name ever still wrongfully convicted?

Most aren't sure.

Lots of posts about how nobody stole when they were kids though.

And if you want some friendly advice, don't go in Gruff's garage without some very explicit permission. He'll jump on his pale horse and ruin your day.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real mistake here was failure to execute the latter of the 3 S's.

I once baited some kids that were stealing our mail. Didn't shoot anyone, but I got the issue taken care of.

1Minute
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 1minute
The real mistake here was failure to execute the latter of the 3 S's.

I honestly don't think it would have changed the outcome.

From what I read of the defense, it was pretty weak. Outside of a state like TX, you're gonna hang.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball

Shortly after college dad and I were driven off Sam Rayburn by a thunderstorm on a July holiday weekend. I motored dads little bass rig up a long winding willow lined branch, tied up and we walked the trail through the woods to camp where we fried some fish. After eating we headed down to the boat where we found no rods or battery. I had two fenwick glass rods I made up with 5000 Cs and tackle box stolen.

How I wished I had returned a little earlier with my model 94.
That sucks some serious ass. In the early seventies, the 5000C was the best you could get, before the 5500C came out. I've still got my 5000 and my Dad's 5000C. I've also still got my Fenwick. In the mid-seventies I bought a Quick rod and reel, made in California, IIRC. It was a sweet rig. I was only in Jr. High, so buying it was not a small thing. Somebody ripped it off out of a Houston parking lot out of the back of my '69 Chevy C20 when I was working on the MKT railroad down there. That sucked too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A friend of mine in North Idaho had a problem with some neighbors breaking into his garage and stealing stuff. He finally got fed up with it when his chain saw went missing so he took 5 gallons of gas and poured it all over the front of the neighbors house. He then stood there with a lighter in his hand and yelled bring out my stuff or I'm burning you out.

He told me stuff started coming out of that house that he had forgot he ever owned. He pretty much filled the bed of his Tacoma with his tools, power equipment and other stuff. He said the theft stopped after that.

He's a pretty well known hunting guide and runs a lot of hound hunts for cats and bear. His wife confirmed every bit of the story as he told it to me.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 12/18/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of Oilfield Pumpers augmented their wages by making and selling "drip" gasoline, and kids were always stealing it. Cops couldn't be called because it was illegal to sell or use in cars or pickups.

Ol' Bill Jackson over at Squaw Mountain in Jack County knew that whoever was stealing his drip wasn't a kid, so he laced a barrel of it with Treatolite, a chemical used to treat crude oil to lower the B.S. level in the tank.

Next morning the offender's car was parked about 200 yards, pointed away from Bill's drip stash.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Lots of Oilfield Pumpers augmented their wages by making and selling "drip" gasoline, and kids were always stealing it. Cops couldn't be called because it was illegal to sell or use in cars or pickups.

Ol' Bill Jackson over at Squaw Mountain in Jack County knew that whoever was stealing his drip wasn't a kid, so he laced a barrel of it with Treatolite, a chemical used to treat crude oil to lower the B.S. level in the tank.

Next morning the offender's car was parked about 200 yards, pointed away from Bill's drip stash.
heheheh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not advocating killing a kid, but some of the folks here going on about this whole affair sound a lot like Trayvon defenders...I mean, you know, if Trayvon had been like, white or whatnot.

I mean, isn't that always what the old baby-mama's always say, "he was a good boy, he wouldn't never hurt nobody or do nuffin' wrong,".

The cops set folks up all the time, but it was wrong for this dude to and wronger for him to tell people he was going to...kinda like a warning, "don't [bleep] with my [bleep],"?

If Billy Goat Gruff asks me to go into his garage, I ain't gonna.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What if it were a little different situation, like a little four year girl was lookimg for her little kitten and made a noise knocking over a pail or something? About a mid-level shotgun blast would take her head off with a shotgun blast. Would that be justified?
Jus ask'n

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,807
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.