Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was in a gunshop and another customer was handling a Savage Lightweight. So on a whim I looked it up on google, and the articles looked pretty interesting. So I was wondering if anyone is using this setup, and their choice of optics. I imagine 6 1/4 pounds is possible in a short action with a 1-4x. I have no experience with Savage at all.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the original model with detach mag and cut outs in the forestock it looks like they've now gone to floor plate and no cut outs. Anyways its a decent rifle don't like the polymer magazine and bottom bits but this ultralight doesn't cost way north of a grand either so... Mine's in 260 shoots sub moa with 120 ttsx and 140 amax handloads and I think it Federal Fusion factory ammo with the little whippy barrel just fine. That's just 3 shot groups though it would heat up quick. I've got a vx2 3-9 on there and it weighs 6lbs 10oz all up with Talley lightweights. I'm going to sell it though only because a non stainless rifle doesn't fair well in the rainforest and near the beach here consequently its only seen the range.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I got the model 11 lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creed,and it shoots great with most everything.
Talley lightweights,and VX 3 2.5X 8.
Haven't weighed it,but it's light and handy.

When I first got it,the action felt like it was full of sand.
A little oil,Q-tips,and a few movies on the couch cured it right up.
Accutrigger gets better with use too.
Favorite load is 120 gr ttsx,and a max load of 4350,either flavor.
Mike

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Salty303
I have the original model with detach mag and cut outs in the forestock it looks like they've now gone to floor plate and no cut outs. Anyways its a decent rifle don't like the polymer magazine and bottom bits but this ultralight doesn't cost way north of a grand either so... Mine's in 260 shoots sub moa with 120 ttsx and 140 amax handloads and I think it Federal Fusion factory ammo with the little whippy barrel just fine. That's just 3 shot groups though it would heat up quick. I've got a vx2 3-9 on there and it weighs 6lbs 10oz all up with Talley lightweights. I'm going to sell it though only because a non stainless rifle doesn't fair well in the rainforest and near the beach here consequently its only seen the range.

Why not cerakote it and keep it?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Salty303

Why not cerakote it and keep it?

That thought has crossed my mind. Maybe why I haven't put it up on the block yet after thinking of selling it for a couple months now? And actually the thought goes with another thought of buying a little ali oxy sand blaster and building a little oven and trying my hand at this cerekote thing myself. I've worked with epoxy and other fussy coatings on boats and stuff and reading all the info on cerekote's site it don't look like rocket surgery to me just a bunch of steps you need to follow carefully. But I also want to learn to weld....have almost too many hobbies.. and I'm a working stiff so not sure if I'm going to get there or not. I hear ya tho the stuff is the bomb as good or better than stainless

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salty,
Cerakote is easy to apply, the secret is the prep.
Degrease, abrasive blast are critical.
It's relatively easy to spray. I use a Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun, that cost $15.00, works great. Clean-up is critical, otherwise you will be throwing away your spray gun afterwards.

My oven is a steel bluing tank on a Coleman stove. I cover it with a piece of fiberglass insulation and monitor temp with an oven thermometer.
Small parts go in the home oven, just hang them on wires.

Kind of a redneck setup but it works, and if you enjoy it you can always update with better equipment.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck maybe and I love it! Got the coleman stove, blueing tank?.. so just a steel box basically? I like the idea, fiddling with the two burners I'm sure you could get it to xyz temperature and hold it pretty close. And little to no investment to give it a whirl. Yeah I've heard it sprays well with a little low pressure gun I don't know much about them yet thanks for the hint on a HVLP type and the oven too 'course.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

725 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.