Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomA
Saddlering, the price I paid for the broadhead has nothing to do with it's effectiveness. If it puts a 2 1/4 inch hole through a deer it did it's job. Everybody has their own opinion of what they prefer and why but the same can be said for rifles and calibers and so on.

I have been bow hunting for over 45 years and have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. I normally shoot a regular compound bow (Bowtech Destroyer LE) but my for these small bodied Texas deer and popup blind I prefer a crossbow. My broadhead choice for over 30 years has been a Muzzy 4 blade, 130 grain. Have taken deer, pigs, black bear, elk and so on.

With the speed of todays crossbows, about any sharp balanced broadhead will get the job done. Point being that I sharpen, spin balance and zero with these broadheads and believe they are about as good as the $13.99 Rage, Tom

I am curious about a couple things here.
What is the actual point of this thread?
What does it have to do with the Savage subject?
And you put out a situation and then get very defensive when someone questions your line of reasoning. Not trying to antagonize, just trying to make sense of this whole line of thought.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The point of the thread I will clarify at 5 PM or try to.

Has nothing to do with Savage thread and I thought my Subject O/T suggested that.

Did not want to antagonize anyone and apologize if I did.

Broadhead size, shape, weight and so on is a bucket of worms and I only stated what I was using for clarity of the equipment I used. John hopefully took my statements as intended, not trying to stir the pot. Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're not stirring the pot. Some folks just look for things to be grumpy about.

Cantankerous is the word, I think. grin

PS: My wife uses it to describe me..

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/18/14.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well I for one am mad as hell and I'm not gunna take it anymore.

Well, ok, maybe this one time. grin

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Well I for one am mad as hell and I'm not gunna take it anymore.

Well, ok, maybe this one time. grin

Pop a pill Roy grin (thanks for the chuckle) wink

Last edited by Lightfoot; 12/18/14.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll be the first to admit it publicly. I take myself waaaaaaay too seriously.

Next?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is okay... makes up for how the rest of us take you.

grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He's deader than a hammer. Good shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks to far back for the heart but hard to tell for sure with his leg up

I say he lives

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
We will know soon.....dead or alive. grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dead Deer.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's 5:05... he's late. I stayed late at work for this.

Now I'm grumpy. grin

[Linked Image]

TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This deer was shot on 6 Dec about 8:30 AM. Same deer had come in about 15 minutes earlier and was spooked as I reached to turn on the camera. There was 2 smaller bucks under and around the feeder when this 10 pointer came back in. I let the deer get broadside and took the shot. Deer took off in all directions at the sound of the shot.

I waited as the deer disappeared over the ridge and after a short time found my bolt. Not a whole lot of blood on bolt but was covered through the fletchings. Picked up blood right away, small 1/4 inch drops then about 10" circles of blood every 25 yards or so. Tracked the buck some 80-100 yards to the edge of a field where blood trail ended. Searched for a couple of hours, no luck.

Came home and reviewed the video and frame by frame I saw where the broadhead hit and just knew even though it appeared a little low it should have hit the heart.

I went back out to the field about noon,zigzag searching for another 2 hours,nothing. no more blood or deer. I thought for sure it was a dead deer that I could not find.

Fast forward to the next Friday and I checked my game cam pictures and lo and behold this same buck appears after dark 3 nights in a row under the feeder. Clean hole through both sides as if nothing happened. Funny part is now this 10 pointer is a five pointer missing both brow tines and 3 tines on his left beam. Before you ask will I shoot him again if I see him? No

Tom

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Grumpier.......or cantankerous. Which one??? grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not so sure it was too low, I think it was to far back. Notice the wound is almost perfectly vertical. If if were 1/2 inch behind the heart it would have missed it.

If the broadhead had hit so that it opened horizontally, might have had a different outcome.

Luck of the draw. In this case, bad luck.

JMO

Last edited by 99guy; 12/18/14. Reason: said vertical when I meant horizontal and vise versa

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bad luck for you that is.

Good luck for the deer.

wink

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your broadhead malfunctioned. That is a killing shot IMO and the animal must have thrashed around snaping its antlers. Not a big fan of mechanical s even less now. Thanks for sharing. Unless you found ingesta on the arrow, fletching, or trail. Then it is a trick question.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/18/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I missed that call. Looked like a good shot to me. That's why I no longer bow hunt. A 99 Savage would have laid him by with that shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The broadhead malfunctioned? Really?

There is a perfect 2 inch hole sliced in the deer all the way through him. It opened perfectly.

And since it didn't hit anything vital, that was obviously not a killing shot...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Broadhead did not malfunction, same size hole on the opposite side as entry wound. I suspect the buck had no idea what had happened when he was hit. Thus the puddles of blood where he stopped every 20-25 yards. The broken tines I also suspect are from fighting since we have just had what we refer to as 2nd rut in Dec when does that have not been bred get bred. All 2nd guessing and speculation but I was impressed with my little video camera being able to pick out each 30fps frame by frame of the shot and reaction. Tom

Last edited by TomA; 12/18/14.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,904
Posts18,479,364
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.