Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Haven't seen a good lively debate on here in a while. Coins, bullion, and other precious metals; are they investments or only for TRH?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got interested in coin collecting for a while. It was interesting how you could buy a coin as MS63 from a dealer, and six months later when you wanted to trade it in it was MS60 smirk

Now they have the automated grading systems that presumably make grading more objective. And seal the coin in a holder so you can't handle and enjoy it smile

The St. Gaudens double eagles, Morgan dollars, and Liberty themed US coins are beautiful designs, but I take them as a grain of salt as investments. Ditto other forms of precious metals. You might do okay occasionally but in the long run I think stocks average better.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Brass and lead always a good investment.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Either one has the potential to make money or loose it. Like anything you need to buy low and sell high. I don't personally see either as a good investment because it carries too much risk and volatility.

I have a little of both but just to use to get out of the country if the SHTF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Haven't seen a good lively debate on here in a while. Coins, bullion, and other precious metals; are they investments or only for TRH?
Not as a buy and hold kind of investment; you're much better putting your money in an index mutual fund if you're looking for long term investment.

For short term the volatility of Gold is attractive, quick money can be made.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I still buy silver with the idea my kids will benefit years from now.
Don't buy much, maybe 10 oz a month.
Started buying a few years ago when it was around $33 an oz, now it hangs around 1/2 that.
To me the little I buy is better than the 1/2% I get from my CU.
Besides, it just feels good to see and touch pure silver.

"The older I get, the better I was"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I bought a bunch of silver when it was under $4 an ounce.

I sold a bunch of silver when it was $43 an ounce.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for me they're neither

just insurance, with a one time premium

don't know if it will happen in my lifetime or not, but there's some serious problems with the US$, it's backed by the full faith and credit of the US gov't......bwahahahaha

currently the world sees the US$ as King in a resplendent robe

but the bastard is running around in tatters damned near naked, it's just his neighbors have worse clothing as hard as that is to believe.

someday, some kid is going to point out the obvious, the king is naked or in tatters

whether it's me or my kids, probably be glad to have some pm's then.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Certainly not for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I consider gold a hedge. I have thought about buying 30 oz. of double eagles and leaving it for my three children as part of their inheritance. I think they or their children will need it befor I will.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want exposure to precious metals mining without outright dependency, consider Caterpillar, which seems like a bargain right now that I'll be increasing my position in soon. Solid dividend too.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Gold is a commodity and rises and falls on speculation; it's a losers game. Just recall the hunt brothers 30 years ago with silver.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Recall a member on here about 5-6 years ago. Talked his parents into putting their life savings of over $100k into gold at over $1800 an ounce. It's currently $1195. Gold pays no interest, no dividends and is difficult to sell. Looks like he screwed his parents and his inheritance.

I invest in stocks and average 12% for the past 30 years. No gold or silver for me.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Gold is a commodity and rises and falls on speculation; it's a losers game. Just recall the hunt brothers 30 years ago with silver.

Gold and silver throughout history have been considered money.
Only liberals and Keynesian economic wako's consider it a commodity.
The dollars value is based on perception.
Easy to print federal reserve notes, not so easy to make gold/silver.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gold will do well when the SHTF.
Until then it's basically just another highly manipulated commodity; which is not to say you shouldn't speculate if you like...

Last edited by night_owl; 12/19/14.

abusus non tollit usum
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Here't the thing about gold:

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?g=V0Z

You get the occasional blip in price, but it may remain flat for 20 years.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
exactly and those blips only occur when there's a great degree of uncertainty

and since we live in such a certain world, you're apt to be remiss to own any

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What is uncertain?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
What is uncertain?

Maybe the government borrowing, umm, I mean printing 40cents on every dollar they spend?
What could possibly go wrong? crazy

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

To all who have interest,

Some thoughts, short version:

Money can be made or lost in gold, oil,stocks etc. I know for a fact that money can be made in the gold markets. Developing an understanding of the particular market itself is crucial. Like everything, you do better if you buy low and sell high.

For example, one might say that oil has been manipulated downward as Obama and the Saudis make life difficult for Putin. Since oil is down now and oil stocks have suffered, one might consider oil stock like Chevron, down 16% for the year but likely to be up if the depression of oil prices lasts only a year or so. Chevron is a better buy now than it was a month ago when it was 11% or so higher. Pays a 4% dividend as well.

The point is, one must understand the why and when of buying or selling. Steelhead made this point very simply.

Trading the markets can be done successfully if you watch and wait for market distortions... like we have in oil now... at least I think so. An understanding of time frame is crucial... do I expect a return in a few months? A year? A decade?

There was a market distortion in the late 80's and most of the 90's in the gold market. Some of you may remember when Britain was selling it's Central Bank gold reserves. Gold was clearly manipulated lower and Central Bank selling was brutal. Gold was selling at or below the cost of production. It was simply a great buy at the time. Some of us saw this and bought... then bought some more.... then more... and held until the distortion ended and the gold price rose.

Buy gold at $1800? Not a chance. Buy gold at $1200? maybe a little but only if one is able to hold it as "insurance" ... Buy gold at $900 - $1000... yep, back up the truck and load it up. The time horizon for a 2014/2016 gold buyer must be at least three years... Buy it and hold it until the next distortion up.

I like the idea of going into oil stocks now for a 1-3 year hold. Oil historically trades in a range from 9 to 20 barrels of oil per ounce. Seems to average about 14 or so. Today that ratio is 21 or so. Something wrong, a distortion is occurring right now. My sense that if oil does not go back up soon, gold will tumble.

Anyway, there you have some thoughts. Do what you think is best.

TF

Oh btw... I think if one is going to go into precious metals, a very significant percentage should be in silver and maybe platinum.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.