Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rosco,

Using a bullet in a fired case is "close enough" for determining proper seating depth that a bunch of winning benchrest shooters use it. In my own benchrest rifle it resulted in 5-shot groups averaging around .18" with a minimum of fuss. Which is part of why I use exactly the same "tool-free" method as Steelhead.

Yes,best done without a micrometer/calipers too I suppose when "measuring" that way? (serious question)

Last edited by rosco1; 12/20/14.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It depends on the rifle. I seat a bullet in a case, with the case-mouth pinched just enough to hold a bullet firmly but not so firmly it can't be easily pushed back when chambering a round. Then I chamber the test round, and most of the time find rifling marks on the bullet.

In my benchrest rifle I then shot several loads with this "jammed" seating, and after finding the most accurate powder charge, tried a few more loads with the seating depth varied slightly, using a micrometer seating die. Turned out jammed was most accurate.

In a hunting rifle I keep seating the bullet slightly deeper until the rifling marks disappear, meaning the bullet is just off the lands. This usually requires at least .02" more seating depth, but varies with the bullet, chamber, etc.

That seating depth usually results in the accuracy level I'm seeking, but if it doesn't I try seating the bullet slightly deeper with the same powder charge. I start with the bullet close to the lands because seating it deeper results in less pressure, so there's no danger involved after finding the best powder charge with the bullet seated just off the lands. Once I find the seating depth that shoots best, a dummy round with a bullet seated to that depth goes into the die box.

Of course, sometimes that seating depth will have to be tweaked, whether due to another lot of bullets with a slightly different ogive, or throat wear, or whatever.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
oregontripper,

"2 in 1 out" happens because 3-shot groups aren't sufficient to really reflect the accuracy of a rifle and load. The spread of ALL shots will be larger than the average of 3-shot groups, so the "flier" is simply a shot that's part of the overall picture.

Four-shot groups are superior for testing accuracy, and more shots are even better.

JB,
Going for an explanation regarding previous discussion that others have stated when getting a "2 in 1 out" trifecta, that seating deeper will bring it in. I am asking why, what could cause that to happen? Conversely, equilateral pattern will be improved with longer COAL. Guess it's no matter or maybe you explained it. A "3 in 2 out" was mentioned also...

I swear I will shoot 4- or maybe even 5-shot groups to confirm... And someday I hope to not weigh every charge. Doubt I'll give up the extraneous tools though. Little steps... I even want a RAR! Range is pretty far for me now so there's little chance to run out and try this then that, its darn inconvenient actually. mad

Other John, AGW
I will pay closer attention. I have a couple rifles I've been working on and seems I have some equilateral triangles and some "2 in 1 out deals". Appreciate all the input.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[quote=Mule Deer
Of course, sometimes that seating depth will have to be tweaked, whether due to another lot of bullets with a slightly different ogive, or throat wear, or whatever. [/quote]

Thanks.

The quote is the reason I suggested the comparator is a useful tool,but certainly not a requirement. Just a quick way to check a lot run change BTO using the dummy round for comparison,without starting over. Wont take throat wear into account tho, curious how often (shots) you check the wear on your more accurate rifles.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again, if people want to buy more stuff in hopes that they can craft perfect ammo and become better shots without shooting much, march on.

I'll stick with using a fired case, a bullet and measure.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I start with the bullet close to the lands because seating it deeper results in less pressure, so there's no danger involved after finding the best powder charge with the bullet seated just off the lands.

Hold the phone! My first thought after reading this was........Seating a bullet deeper with the same powder charge results in more pressure and higher velocity.

So are you saying there that a cartridge with the bullet seated to kiss the lands will make more pressure than one with the bullet off the lands? I understand that.

And .02" deeper isn't going to make much difference in pressure......Correct??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rosco1

Thanks.

The quote is the reason I suggested the comparator is a useful tool,but certainly not a requirement. Just a quick way to check a lot run change BTO without starting over. Wont take throat wear into account tho, curious how often (shots) you check the wear on your more accurate rifles.

I ain't him, but here's a hint on when it's time to recheck some stuff. When accuracy changes.

Pretty weird, huh...

Last edited by Steelhead; 12/20/14.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have never ever done it. No need to do it.
The shape of the group tells you where your bullet needs to be seated.
Large equilateral triangle = seat out further.
2 in and 1 out of the group = seat deeper.

I move the seating die a quarter turn at a time.

John

So your advice to a reloader that doesn't know how to determine max COAL is "screw that, you don't need to determine max COAL, just start adjusting your seating depth based on shot patterning?"

Wow!

I hope he has enough sense to ignore this stupidity.

David

I learned this from Benchrest shooters decades ago, and as a writer who specialized in reviewing rifles and developing loads for the reviews, I proved hundreds of times it worked and this advice is being repeated and proved over and again by readers here and other sites where the advice has spilled over.

If you want to know a maximum dimension for OAL, consult you reloading manual.
If you want to know whether that dimension is relevant to your particular rifle, try it in your magazine box to see if it will really fit as a starting point but also confirm there is enough leade to chamber that dimension before running off to the range. Some rifles will house an OAL but not chamber it, Ruger, being an example.

So, how you you "know" I am wrong?

John

Your advice was reckless and you know it. The OP's question wasn't about load development, it was specific to determing COL. It was so important to you pop off about your technique for load development and tweak the thread by flying in the face of conventional wisdom that you touted skipping a basic safety rules of reloading.

If you had suggested that COAL was only useful for determining safe operating parameters, but you prefer to start you load development XXX off the lands and here's my technique...., I would have had no comment.

Now instead of admitting that you left out crtical information to an obviously less advanced reloader and trying to rectify the situation, you've doubled down on your original post and stated that there are generalities about rifles that can be applied. At least one member on this forum has RUGER American that is throated short enough to get in trouble with their reloads were they listen to your stupidity.

Save your though provoking tweaking for articles where you have the space and time to explain yourself. As a "Gunwriter" your opinions may be viewed by some as carrying more weight and they may be tempted to follow your advice without realizing the consequences. Its OK, I didn't expect you to recant or apologize when you were wrong - you've already proven your were incapable of that long before this thread started.

David

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know you shot a crown royal box one time steelhead.somehow i doubt you could teach me much..

Point is, measuring a bullet base to tip with a caliper aint repeatable, may as well throw the caliper away and run the test everytime you change up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
It depends on the rifle. I seat a bullet in a case, with the case-mouth pinched just enough to hold a bullet firmly but not so firmly it can't be easily pushed back when chambering a round. Then I chamber the test round, and most of the time find rifling marks on the bullet.

In my benchrest rifle I then shot several loads with this "jammed" seating, and after finding the most accurate powder charge, tried a few more loads with the seating depth varied slightly, using a micrometer seating die. Turned out jammed was most accurate.

In a hunting rifle I keep seating the bullet slightly deeper until the rifling marks disappear, meaning the bullet is just off the lands. This usually requires at least .02" more seating depth, but varies with the bullet, chamber, etc.

That seating depth usually results in the accuracy level I'm seeking, but if it doesn't I try seating the bullet slightly deeper with the same powder charge. I start with the bullet close to the lands because seating it deeper results in less pressure, so there's no danger involved after finding the best powder charge with the bullet seated just off the lands. Once I find the seating depth that shoots best, a dummy round with a bullet seated to that depth goes into the die box.

Of course, sometimes that seating depth will have to be tweaked, whether due to another lot of bullets with a slightly different ogive, or throat wear, or whatever.

This is plain good stuff. I've done it a few different ways and finally tried it like this. Works great!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rosco,

I check throat wear periodically on SOME rifles with my bore-scope, mostly our of curiosity. I don't much bother if the rifle is still shooting well, having found that a lot of rifles will continue to shoot small groups even with some throat erosion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I know you shot a crown royal box one time steelhead.somehow i doubt you could teach me much..

I doubt I could. You seem to have it all figured out. Sorry about my stupid suggestion on not needing extra tools or that a fall off of accuracy was a reason to check stuff again.

I bow to your knowledge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've probably been doing it wrong to measure the throat and have learned something here. I typically resize a case just maybe 1/8" or so into the neck and seat a bullet long....jam it into the lands....measure.....whack it with the bullet puller.....and repeat to make sure I'm accurate with my measure.

On those rifles where I'm kissing.....I may be kissing more than I need to. It's worked for me, but I'm thinking I need to adjust my method a little........

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Man, some crazy stuff on this thread. Don't recheck stuff if rifle is shooting good, recheck when rifle ain't.

I'd have never thought of that, but I ain't from Utah.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gotta run, time to take my car into the shop to see why it's running ok.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Point is, measuring a bullet base to tip with a caliper aint repeatable, may as well throw the caliper away and run the test everytime you change up.

Why would I measure a bullet, base to tip?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know Amaxes have changed some over the years......but I don't believe bullet makers typically retool frequently just to move ogives fore and aft. Or do they?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cartridge base to bullet tip is what I meant.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I know Amaxes have changed some over the years......but I don't believe bullet makers typically retool frequently just to move ogives back and forth. Or do they?

The ogive moves forward as the dies wear during produce, when the old worn dies are replaced the or give will move back, as the dies wear again during production the ogive move forward until the dies are replaced. This has always been the case.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I know Amaxes have changed some over the years......but I don't believe bullet makers typically retool frequently just to move ogives back and forth. Or do they?

I've had 155 scenars vary enough to cause problems. Trying to buy them in thousands helps but not always possible.

I admit it dont usually matter much, especially in hunting rifles when you keep the bullet away from the lands (I do anyway).

Was just sayin a comparator along with your micrometer is useful,and cost 20 bucks, didnt mean to make a thing out of it.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.