Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I know you shot a crown royal box one time steelhead.somehow i doubt you could teach me much..

Point is, measuring a bullet base to tip with a caliper aint repeatable, may as well throw the caliper away and run the test everytime you change up.

I know Amaxes have changed some over the years......but I don't believe bullet makers typically retool frequently just to move ogives back and forth. Or do they?

I've had 155 scenars vary enough to cause problems. Trying to buy them in thousands helps but not always possible.

I admit it dont usually matter much, especially in hunting rifles when you keep the bullet away from the lands (I do anyway).

Was just sayin a comparator along with your micrometer is useful,and cost 20 bucks, didnt mean to make a thing out of it.

Understood. I have a comparator in a box somewhere.......LOL.

Haven't seen a need in quite a few years to be that anal....but I don't push pressures like I used to with my reloads.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I measure .004 less than bullet diameter and scribe a line around the bullet at that diameter. I can periodically check with loaded rounds compared to the dummy load with the scribe.

Sure, I'm using my eyeballs to do it, but I trust them.

When I pick a different bullet, all I do is find where .004 less than bullet diameter is and make that line up with the dummy, even though that dummy is a different bullet. It gives them the same jump.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
I know you shot a crown royal box one time steelhead.somehow i doubt you could teach me much..

Point is, measuring a bullet base to tip with a caliper aint repeatable, may as well throw the caliper away and run the test everytime you change up.

I know Amaxes have changed some over the years......but I don't believe bullet makers typically retool frequently just to move ogives back and forth. Or do they?

The ogive moves forward as the dies wear during produce, when the old worn dies are replaced the or give will move back, as the dies wear again during production the ogive move forward until the dies are replaced. This has always been the case.

What kind of measurement changes are we talking about here? Thousandth's? Ten-thousandths? What?

As long as my accuracy doesn't change.....I'm loading to the same COL. And like I said.....I don't push pressures like I used to. Just not worth it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I measure .004 less than bullet diameter and scribe a line around the bullet at that diameter. I can periodically check with loaded rounds compared to the dummy load with the scribe.

Sure, I'm using my eyeballs to do it, but I trust them.

When I pick a different bullet, all I do is find where .004 less than bullet diameter is and make that line up with the dummy, even though that dummy is a different bullet. It gives them the same jump.

Exactly..They make a tool for that,and its pretty cheap,you already own the caliper..Just sayin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you, they do.

You've obviously not spent the past 30 years moving across the country every 3 years.

Less stuff is more. I need calipers, I don't need the other.

I have fired cases, because I shoot. I have bullets, because I shoot. I have calipers because I shoot (and other things). The comparator becomes one more 'gadget' to spend money on, for a bunch of different calibers.

All I've been saying is you don't need to buy MORE STUFF to do the same job. It's not needed, but if it makes you feel better spending the money, go for it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fair enough..I cant go from the shop to house without losing chit..No doubt I'd be missing lots of "stuff" having to move.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I have never ever done it. No need to do it.
The shape of the group tells you where your bullet needs to be seated.
Large equilateral triangle = seat out further.
2 in and 1 out of the group = seat deeper.

I move the seating die a quarter turn at a time.

John

So your advice to a reloader that doesn't know how to determine max COAL is "screw that, you don't need to determine max COAL, just start adjusting your seating depth based on shot patterning?"

Wow!

I hope he has enough sense to ignore this stupidity.

David

I learned this from Benchrest shooters decades ago, and as a writer who specialized in reviewing rifles and developing loads for the reviews, I proved hundreds of times it worked and this advice is being repeated and proved over and again by readers here and other sites where the advice has spilled over.

If you want to know a maximum dimension for OAL, consult you reloading manual.
If you want to know whether that dimension is relevant to your particular rifle, try it in your magazine box to see if it will really fit as a starting point but also confirm there is enough leade to chamber that dimension before running off to the range. Some rifles will house an OAL but not chamber it, Ruger, being an example.

So, how you you "know" I am wrong?

John

Your advice was reckless and you know it. The OP's question wasn't about load development, it was specific to determing COL. It was so important to you pop off about your technique for load development and tweak the thread by flying in the face of conventional wisdom that you touted skipping a basic safety rules of reloading.

If you had suggested that COAL was only useful for determining safe operating parameters, but you prefer to start you load development XXX off the lands and here's my technique...., I would have had no comment.

Now instead of admitting that you left out crtical information to an obviously less advanced reloader and trying to rectify the situation, you've doubled down on your original post and stated that there are generalities about rifles that can be applied. At least one member on this forum has RUGER American that is throated short enough to get in trouble with their reloads were they listen to your stupidity.

Save your though provoking tweaking for articles where you have the space and time to explain yourself. As a "Gunwriter" your opinions may be viewed by some as carrying more weight and they may be tempted to follow your advice without realizing the consequences. Its OK, I didn't expect you to recant or apologize when you were wrong - you've already proven your were incapable of that long before this thread started.

David

David,
Article 1 was written for people like you and I respect and support your right to an opinion including an opinion that differs to mine.

My point, which you clearly did not get, was that I personally think OAL can be over emphasized, which is why I offered an alternate view. Also, my, Article 1 right, for which you are free again, to disagree with.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The ogive moves forward as the dies wear during produce, when the old worn dies are replaced the or give will move back, as the dies wear again during production the ogive move forward until the dies are replaced. This has always been the case.

What kind of measurement changes are we talking about here? Thousandth's? Ten-thousandths? What?

As long as my accuracy doesn't change.....I'm loading to the same COL. And like I said.....I don't push pressures like I used to. Just not worth it.

Just stating a reality, do with it as you wish. Unless I am loading for one of my long range rifles I don't care, but when I am I want my bullets to be alike as this lessens extreme spread in velocit and at 1000 yards that is important. 4 to 500 not so much.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No harm, I've always liked you.

Please don't assume because one isn't using a 'tool' that it doesn't work and work just as well.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No harm, I've always liked you.

Please don't assume because one isn't using a 'tool' that it doesn't work and work just as well.

Exactly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll be needing a bullet making die measuring tool now. Off to Sinclairs...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
257heaven,

Thanks for repeating the common notion that pressure increases when seating bullets deeper. I'm working on a HANDLOADER article about "Handloading Myths" and it will fit right in. (Did one a dozen years ago but the editor and I agreed it's time for another.)

Like many handloading myths, this is partially true. Pressure does increase with seating depth in HANDGUNS (and here I'm not talking about hand-carbines, like Contenders chambered for rifle rounds). This is because of the way most handgun powders burn, starting out fast with the highest pressure right in front of the case mouth, and is exacerbated in revolvers, because there's more chamber for the bullet to travel before pressure's relieved somewhat by the cylinder/barrel gap.

But with progressive-burning rifle powder, pressure decreases with greater bullet-seating depth (at least until it's really deep, say 1/2" or more, and we're not talking about seating them that deep). You can even see this on an accurate chronograph, as velocity will normally decrease slightly as well. (However, a lot of cheaper chronographs aren't all that accurate, especially for only three shots, because the sensor spacing is so short.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
257heaven,

Thanks for repeating the common notion that pressure increases when seating bullets deeper. I'm working on a HANDLODER article about "Handloading Myths" and it will fit right in. (Did one a dozen years ago but the editor and I agreed it's time for another.)

Like many handloading myths, this is partially true. Pressure does increase with seating depth in HANDGUNS (and here I'm not talking about hand-carbines, like Contenders chambered for rifle rounds). This is because of the degressive most handgun powders burn, starting out fast with the highest pressure right in front of the case mouth, and is exacerbated in revolvers, because there's more chamber for the bullet to travel before pressure's relieved somewhat by the cylinder/barrel gap.

But with progressive-burning rifle powder, pressure decreases with greater bullet-seating depth (at least until it's really deep, say 1/2" or more, and we're not talking about seating them that deep). You can even see this on an accurate chronograph, as velocity will normally decrease slightly as well. (However, a lot of cheaper chronographs aren't all that accurate, especially for only three shots, because the sensor spacing is so short.)

Well I'll be danged! There goes my 257 Rbts in a short action is just as good as a 257 Rbts in a long action argument. blush

But when I mess with different loads in Quickload to find the most efficient powder, I get more velocity with short (factory COL) rounds than with longer COL rounds. And more pressure when I shorten the COL. I guess I need to shoot over a chrono more!

Finding out I'm an amateur on several levels now.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It gets worse if you're in the southern hemisphere, most especially with right hand twist.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Johns point on a good chronograph is very important.
The Oehler 35P has always been a respected chronograph with writers not only for the 3rd proof screen, but because you can change-out the spacing rod that holds the screens and decrease the variance in the reading with the light screens further apart. The Oehler comes with a chart drawing that explains the accuracy improvement and provided the length spec's for the rod and spacings.

The only real pain with that is that you need 2 tripods to hold the extended screens. You can also leave the screens set up which helps a little during set up rather than packing it all away in the box.

John

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
257, Don't be a tool! (-:

I am convinced that nobody can explain how a "2 in 1 out" group means anything. If it does, it's a mystery. If seating deeper cures it, great, but a mystery nonetheless.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
257Heaven,

QL is a computer simulation, based on certain assumptions. Which is exactly why the directions say that actual pressure-tested data is preferable--and why QL predictions often don't work out all that well.
It's probably assuming the same bullet/rifling distance for both long and short COAL, but that's not what happens when bullets are seated deeper in the same rifle.

Yes, a .257 Roberts on a long action WITH a longer throat will result in somewhat more velocity at the same pressures as the same bullet in a short action/throat Roberts. But the difference isn't near as much as many handloaders assume, because the extra powder room gained is minimal, and only results in about 1/4 as much extra velocity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by oregontripper

I am convinced that nobody can explain how a "2 in 1 out" group means anything. If it does, it's a mystery. If seating deeper cures it, great, but a mystery nonetheless.

Not really. JB's explanation was I believe correct. Many an apparent flyer is actually a normal accuracy disparity in the abbreviated group of 3 rounds. If you shot 5 rounds, that flyer could still be the extremity of the 5 shot group if 4 and 5 were inside that spread.

John

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=Canazes9][quote=AussieGunWriter][quote=Canazes9][quote=AussieGunWriter]

David,
Article 1 was written for people like you and I respect and support your right to an opinion including an opinion that differs to mine.

My point, which you clearly did not get, was that I personally think OAL can be over emphasized, which is why I offered an alternate view. Also, my, Article 1 right, for which you are free again, to disagree with.

John

John,

Just when I thought it wasn't possible to have less respect for you, you prove me wrong.

I KNOW that you know what MY point was. For the 5th time - Your first post told the OP to skip measuring MAX COAL, defelop a load then start adjusting seating depth based on target groupings. That's stupid and reckless - An inexperienced reloader with a hot batch of powder that wasn't showing serious pressure signs (or that didn't notice the pressure signs that were there) that adjusts a bullet to jam in the lands could get themselves in trouble. Plentry of rifles leave the factory with chambers much shorter than typical, short enough to have this scenario play out.

It would be very easy for you to state - "Hey, I was just making a point about load development, of course you need to know MAX COAL before you start adjusting bullets out on a pressure load." You have steadfastly refused to admit your advice AS WRITTEN in your first post was wrong and potentially dangerous. The fact that you continue to ignore my point so that you can attempt to save face and pretend it was about "your" technique makes you a giant puzzy, but I already knew that.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oregontripper

I know. I was being serious for once in my life!! haha.

I will change some of my methods going forward. But I've never had a problem loading to Quickload specs. I always make sure of my COL and H20/brass capacity before I start messing with different powders and loads in the program.

I actually did have a problem with a 22-250 with match chamber and Lapua brass. Got high pressures with that and had to do some actual range time with it to figure stuff out. And I did use a chrono with that one and a few others that aren't in Quickload (most recently a 25-204).

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,186
Posts18,523,870
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.