Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
The last thread is 60 pages and is drifting a little, so I'll start a new one.
So I didn't know better because I don't follow the forums much.
I wanted a Kimber Montana, and I had enough sense to check on the Internet and heard about accuracy problems.
For no known reason, when I got the chance on a Forbes 20B .308 at a great price, I jumped on it without checking - I guess because the name.
It shoots 7/8" with factory ballistic tips (Federal).
The bolt locks up with factory loads, the rounds feed 50%, eject 75%, (and the action is rough which I assume the parkerizing will smooth with use).
I love the weight and want to find a solution.
Calling the dealer tomorrow.
Hope he is helpful because I don't want to deal with customer service. He has several and I hope he will let me swap for one we can test in the store.
Dealer said he had not sold any he had in stock, but had special ordered 3. So he gave me a deal.....
Von

USMA '86
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sympathize with your plight. I think, however, that I would have taken a chance on the occasional accuracy issues of the Montanas rather than the functional problems that seem to plague the Forbes rifles. If I ever start to itch all over for a Melvin, I'm going to save my lunch money until I can afford a real one.

There are, I think, a good number of multi-Montana owners on here, but few, if any guys with more than one Forbes.

Good luck with your problem.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
The dealer had a lot of Kimber problems. Not once in a while.
I just sat for an hour running some live rounds through it and it is getting better. They parkerized the feed ramp and it doesn't agree with soft point bullets. It is wearing smooth.
The bolt is still failing to pick up the bullet from the left side of the mag about half the time.
150 Core Lokts did not show pressure, so I have a load that will work. Federals showed some pressure and Hornady super performance (my favorite) locked the bolt.
Cleaned it and going to shoot a few more times in a.m. before calling the dealer.

USMA '86
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know your dealer and I don't, but many would not be above steering a customer towards something they want to get rid of.

I've only had one Kimber, and it wasn't a Montana, but accuracy was never an issue, unless not being able to tell how many holes made up a group is a problem.

Again, good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is just nuckin futz to me. If I woke up tomorrow and owned my own rifle mfg company, you can bet EVERY freaking gun would be function tested before leaving the plant. And the name of the inspector would be documented for every gun. Malfunctioning gun goes out...inspector be standing in the unemployment line! This type of QC is unacceptable for a $300 truck gun much less a $1200 "semi" custom piece. There's been days I wanted a 20B so bad I could taste it! But, now, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Hell, I got a TC Encore, albeit a single shot and not 4.75 lbs, it feeds and goes boom 100% of the time! And got a couple Tikka's that feed and extract like butter.

I feel for you, Von. It's simple to me...Forbes needs to FIX it...or replace it! Good luck.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have more than one Forbes. I guess that puts me in the minority.

The most recent one did have a few brass-colored streaks on the feed ramp, so I assume someone checked it over for such issues. Haven't been to the range yet so I can't say for certain.

IMO, a dang fine rifle if you get a good one.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
"Haven't been to the range yet so I can't say for certain."

That's the key words. Hate to recommend it without that.
We all wanted "a good one".

USMA '86
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We know the design is good, so at some point a decision was taken to either not test the rifles for function before they ship, or to ship regardless. Somethin' ain't right, and if they don't fix it soon, they will go down.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I just ran a full box of blue box Federal through it without problem. The only difference was the cycling work I did last night and it was 15 degrees cooler.
No rounds stuck in the chamber or show any marks on the case head.
No functioning problems except: I can't run the gun from the shoulder unless I use the palm to push the bolt forward. If I use the fingers to grasp the bolt, it binds. It is still stiff with the parkerization, but the bolt did pick up all the rounds from the magazine. I wonder if when I cycled them in the chair in my lap, vs from the shoulder, there is a slightly different angle to the bolt because there is a good little bit of play in the bolt.
Anyway, apparently this thing is a little rough and needs to be worn in like some 1911's. I think I'm going to keep it because it is accurate and I have a herniated disc in my back and I'm desperate for a lighter rifle.
I guess I'll have to put up with the idiocycrancies(SP), but I rarely get a second accurate shot on a whitetail so I'm not too concerned with rate of fire. However if the gun is slung when I need it because of weight.....no deer.
Von

USMA '86
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If its locking up with factory ammo, I would not keep it, period. Something aint right and you don't want be in the woods when it happens. I know your invested but take a look at the Kimbers and the Weatherby ULW, I know the price tag on the Weatherby is high and the barrel longer but if you look around, you can find a deal on one. I have/had a few and been around a few more and they function and shoot well, all the time

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Von_Odenwald
"Haven't been to the range yet so I can't say for certain."

That's the key words. Hate to recommend it without that.
We all wanted "a good one".

Actually, the key phrase is that I own multiple Forbes with no problems. Yes, the newest one has not been to the range, but based on performance of the others, it will likely function fine and shoot little tiny groups.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bowie Outfitters?

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I think I agree about the sticking ammo.
The Federal was OK this a.m. But I think I'll try more before I make a decision.

USMA '86
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Yes to Bowie Outfitters.

USMA '86
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Time was every now and then one got a bad rifle... Today, it's every now and then one gets a good rifle.

Same with everything..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
You aren't kidding. I bought a sweet limited run NIB Ruger RSI 7x57 with 18.5" full stock and the first round chambered made a screeching noise. Still scratches brass, but shoots OK and no more noise. Some sort of burrs I guess.
I have no idea why the Forbes would show high pressure and then quit. I'm going to put on a sissy bag and shoot some 180 Federal tomorrow. Maybe another few rounds of Hornady superperformance. But I read reviews that the Hornady doesn't agree with all guns and I certainly don't have to use it.
If it's a match tight chamber that causes a little pressure I'm not upset.
If it's excessive headspace, that's a no-go. Need to borrow a guage.
Von

USMA '86
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had one of the early 30-06s. Mine shot very well with factory ammo and never had any function problems.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know have two. A 20B in 308 with the stainless barrel and green stock and a model 24B in 270 (its not gay really!) also with the stainless barrel and grey stock.

Both are tack drivers and feed perfectly. Fit and finish is excellent, my only beef, which I have made Forbes aware, is that IMO the safety cutout into the stock is a little fugly.

If you are curious about Forbes, I highly encourage you to pick up the phone and call Forbes. Ask to speak with Rick Campbell. He is awesome to deal with and will talk with you at length about the rifles. Ask him about some of the problems you may have heard about. Hear about it from the horses' mouth. That is what I did before ordering my first one. I was going back and forth between a Forbes and a Montana. I read the epic thread on here about Forbes so I decided to pick up the phone and ask some hard questions.

Next month at SHOT I will be at the Kimber booth asking similar questions.

Here is my 308 with a VX3 2.5x8

[Linked Image]

Last edited by STS45; 12/20/14.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Forget Rick Cambell,

Just call Melvin Forbes himself, I did with a 24B that was shooting 3" groups. The magazine was binding the action up.

Melvin fixed it free of charge and sent it back to me no charge. All within two weeks. Remarkable time, I think.

I asked if I could pay him. He said he would be sending the bill to Forbes Rifles.

As far as quality of the Kimber and the Forbes. In regards to actions and stocks. The Forbes rifle is far superior to the Kimber. The stock on the Kimber is junk compared to the Forbes.

Forbes action is also much better. The barrels are probably equal...not good.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I'm going to start with the store and work up from there.
I would appreciate an exchange, but if they won't do it, I'll go to either of the above.

USMA '86
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.