Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad, that sucks that you have to put JB weld under your talley bases. I've never had to do that with my rifles. Never had a talley or Leupold DD crack either. Knock on wood...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Brad, that sucks that you have to put JB weld under your talley bases. I've never had to do that with my rifles. Never had a talley or Leupold DD crack either. Knock on wood...

"Sucks"? How so?

I don't "have to" bed Talley's that way, I bed every type of ring/base on every type rifle that way, and have done for decades.

It's the best way I know to make a bombproof mount, apart from a full integral mount like Ruger. And it may actually be better than the Ruger...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder how many Kimber accuracy problems have been caused by Talley supplying the wrong length screw.

Just a thunk wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

I think bedding the mounts is smart with little to no downside. Seems like standard procedure with many comp shooters. I'm a big fan of the cookie dough cold weld, but it's a lot harder to remove than the JB from squeeze tubes.

I wonder if you'd have the same results if those 20+ rifles weren't bedded?

Interesting stuff.

Jason

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Interesting Brad. I like keeping things simple. Enjoy accurate rifles like everyone else here, never had to do that is all I'm saying. One of those "trick moves" we hear about I guess. Since this is about Montana's, I'll concede that you definitely know your chit about these rifles. Some talley lightweights I've had have been switched around so much that I worried more about stripping the threads than anything else I guess. They have always been flawless and Dave Talley is a great guy to deal with. The only time I had problems was when they sent me a set with one Remington base and one Winchester base in it. I was stumped and had to call and talk to Dave at Talley and he sent a new one out immediately.

They speak very highly of their lightweights for being one of the strongest set up's on the market. They also want to hear your story if you break a Talley ring/base:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting Brad. I like keeping things simple. Enjoy accurate rifles like everyone else here, never had to do that is all I'm saying. One of those "trick moves" we hear about I guess.

I don't "have" to do it, I "get" to do it.

It's VERY simple, nor some "trick move" (whatever that is).

It's just one more measure to get the most out of a rifle, especially a backpack/mountain rifle (all mine except my 22lr are).

I'm struggling to grasp how what amounts to a monolithic mount has any downside, and only upside...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I wonder how many Kimber accuracy problems have been caused by Talley supplying the wrong length screw.

Just a thunk wink

Funny, until shortactionstroker pointed it out, I never noticed the "problem" and never shortened mine. All my MT's have had Talleys, and all of them have shot something sub moa, and more than a few shot many things sub moa.

However, starting with my last couple I've shortened the screw, more because now knowing about it would bug me rather than anything I'd experienced.

BUT, bedding my rings to the receiver may have made the difference.

Still, I'm willing to bet the #1 reason for all those poor shooting Kimber MT's is the operator can't deal with the light weight at the bench, and/or is trying to force the damn rifle to "like" a bullet it doesn't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Brad,

I think bedding the mounts is smart with little to no downside. Seems like standard procedure with many comp shooters. I'm a big fan of the cookie dough cold weld, but it's a lot harder to remove than the JB from squeeze tubes.

I wonder if you'd have the same results if those 20+ rifles weren't bedded?

Interesting stuff.

Jason

I like "qick steel" as well and see that as being easier to deal with than runny JB weld. It would also set up faster and be stronger. Brads suggestion is a good one. However, I'm just stating I've never done it before as I've never seen the need to. A montana may need this treatment???

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The only thing I've ever needed to do with my Kimber's was add scope rings and scopes. Seems to be working so far.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 84M 308 in Talley lows and wearing a 3.5-10x40 VX3.
[Linked Image]

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Just a thunk wink

always check every screw length, regardless of make...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I like "qick steel" as well and see that as being easier to deal with than runny JB weld. It would also set up faster and be stronger. Brads suggestion is a good one. However, I'm just stating I've never done it before as I've never seen the need to. A montana may need this treatment???

I've never used LWs on other rifles. Might be differences in the mount designs for different makes/models of rifles?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jmsdad
I have a Kimber 84M Montana in jail (10day CA wait). I have a Leupold 3.5-10x40 1" scope coming too. What height talley light weight rings will clear this scope? Will lows clear or do I have to get mediums?

The ones that best fits your head, neck and shoulder. Everyone chases the lowest. Never understood why. crazy

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
I have a Kimber 84M Montana in jail (10day CA wait). I have a Leupold 3.5-10x40 1" scope coming too. What height talley light weight rings will clear this scope? Will lows clear or do I have to get mediums?

The ones that best fits your head, neck and shoulder. Everyone chases the lowest. Never understood why. crazy

for me, that is the lowest. I've never had optics too low on a bolt gun.

but on my Montanas, even the Ti bolt knobs scuff the ocular bell with XLs, unless using the compact/Ultralight Leupolds.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not to hijack but would a 50mm Leupold require mediums on the same gun??

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by EdM

for me, that is the lowest. I've never had optics too low on a bolt gun.

but on my Montanas, even the Ti bolt knobs scuff the ocular bell with XLs, unless using the compact/Ultralight Leupolds.

You're right. The titanium bolt handle is dragging along the ocular of the Swaro Z3. I measured and was surprised to find that the Swaro ocular diameter was less than the Leupold 2.5-8. But only by a tenth or so.

I tried to make the bolt catch somewhere on the scope by putting pressure different ways in different places and I was able to work the bolt every time. But I may go ahead and order some lows to replace these. If something bad is going to happen, it would probably happen in the field when least welcomed.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, kinda though it'd be dragging.

X-Lows will drag on the VX3 and the smaller VX2's, but not the smaller yet VX2 Compacts.

To me, there's no function issue, just a matter of whether you want to scrape your scope and bolt. Personally I don't, but I'm a bit fussier than the average about that sort of minutia. I don't mind a HARD used rifle, just don't like wear I could have avoided.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Brad,

Hardness test would be interesting to eliminate that variable. I'll see if I can run alloy with steel ball next week.

Jason

Ran the hardness test today. Rather than clutter this thread anymore than I already have, I'll just post a link for anyone interested.

Hardness test

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, kinda though it'd be dragging.

X-Lows will drag on the VX3 and the smaller VX2's, but not the smaller yet VX2 Compacts.

To me, there's no function issue, just a matter of whether you want to scrape your scope and bolt. Personally I don't, but I'm a bit fussier than the average about that sort of minutia. I don't mind a HARD used rifle, just don't like wear I could have avoided.

Thanks Brad. I'll probably order some lows and change them out before I take this one to the range.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,409
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.