Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Several of the local gun shops now seem to be well stocked with Federal and CCI .22 ammo. What I have not seen in two years is any great amount of Winchester or Remington .22 ammo. And either have the distributors I have spoken with...

Anyone seeing anything?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Got email notice that midway had Remington thunderbolt's in yesterday. Jumped on the site, put some in my cart, immediately hit checkout, and they disappeared from my cart!? So either they're a ghost, or midway doesn't got their act together. I was a bit flustered.

Last edited by NTG; 12/19/14.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just happened again! Got notice for same ammo. I immediately went to order it 10 seconds after the email hit my inbox. Put it in my cart, and clicked checkout. Had to put my password in ot pay for it and did. At that point they say it's already gone! BS! They've been good to deal with before, but this is a joke!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Win PowerPoints work well in both of my ground squirrel 22LR's and I bought it by the case. I've not seen any in over 4 years.

1Minute
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
1minute: I agree with you - I have NOT seen any Winchester 40 gr. Power-Points on a stores shelves in so long I can't remember the last time!
I know this shortage has been going on for 27 months now.
I did buy a carton size box of Remington Thunderbolts at the Bozeman, Montana Sportsmans Warehouse last Friday for $23.00 (limit one).
They are not hollow-points so I can't/won't use them for Varmint Hunting.
I went from there to the Bozeman gunshow to trade them for hollow-points but ended up selling them for $35.00 cash.
The folks that are always at the Bozeman Gunshow from the Bitterroot Valley ammo shop were not there and had JUST gone out of business - I found out!
I usually always get rimfire ammo from those folks - I guess times are tough and they are through with the rat race?
I am getting low on Winchester Power-Points and may have to resight in my Rifles that prefer this ammo with something else.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm pretty much out of Power Points too. Midway canceled my Power Point back order last month. I had 2000 and shot them all @ Gophers over the last two years + a bunch of Federals.

I bought 1000 CCI HPs this week. So they are around.

And, yes, I've bought both bulk WW 36 grain HPs and Rem Golden Bullet HPs this year. WW @ WalMart and Rem at Sportsman's Warehouse. Also, bought some 40 grain HV round nose WW @ WalMart. I have plenty of ammo for the next Gopher season but it's all odds and ends. Probably 6 different types/brands. None of it will match Power Point performance.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, 333 packs...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
There has been a little bulk Winchester and Remington around but WHERE IS ALL THE QUALITY ammo?

The BS line "we are running 24/7" is getting a little old to say the least.

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's not the manufactures fault. It's the pos hoarders and scalpers that have been buying all they can get their hands on. As I've said before, they'll eventually have their fill and shelves will start to see improvement. When that happen the scalpers will have a hell of a time selling what they have. When that happens, I hope they choke on all of what they have and die of lead poisoning...I see horaders buying ammo here all the time. My boss takes time off of work when the local gun store gets their shipment in every week. I asked him the other day if 20,000 plus 22Lr is enough and he said "no". I don't like that type of mentality and it doesn't do any of us any favors. There's a lot of guys just like him that go in every week and buy out what the store has, not much you can do about that...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
bsa...I agree with you...but the ammo he is buying, is there any of the better quality Winchester or Remington? That is what I started this post about. ATK who owns Federal and CCI/Speer seems to be doing their part getting ammo to the distributors but where is Winchester and Remington...

Bob

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RJM
There has been a little bulk Winchester and Remington around but WHERE IS ALL THE QUALITY ammo?

The BS line "we are running 24/7" is getting a little old to say the least.

Bob

These days "quality" and Winchester or Remington is an oxymoron.

Instructions from a couple of manufacturers say not to shoot one or both in their pistols.

What I need and can't find is CCI Mini-Mag or Blazer. That's my go-to domestic brand.

For serious target work I stick with European ammo. Fairly readily available, at a price.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Part of the problem is that all ammo (and component) manufacturers are still concentrating on what sells the most--in other words, what most shooters want. This is because it takes time to switch tooling to other, lower-demand stuff, and instead of wasting that time they just keep cranking out what MOST people want.

And most people want the cheapest .22 ammo possible. This is exactly why you can buy all the Eley and other higher-priced .22 ammo you want, but not the cheap stuff.

I have seen bulk Remington and Winchester .22 ammo in local stores several times over the past year, and it always disappeared quickly, even a year after the panic should have been over.

Has anybody noticed that anytime reasonably priced .22 ammo shows up at Cabelas or any other source where it can be ordered over the Internet, somebody here makes a big announcement as a "favor" to everybody else--and then that ammo disappears quickly as well?

Do you suppose those announcements, and everybody still buying all the .22 ammo they can, every time it shows up anywhere, might have anything to do with the ongoing "shortage"?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last weekend I saw some Winchester in a fancy wood box at Cabela's. I think it was something like $33 for 500. The same day I saw some Winchester in red plastic 100 round boxes for $9.99 a box (limit 3) at a Dick's store. I was feeling OK and passed on both. If I knew you needed some, I would have picked it up. I also saw some of the 100 round red plastic box stuff online at Natchez or Midsouth (limit 5 or 10, don't recall) sometime during the week, but just before you posted. I think it is out there, but it requires some free time to hunt for it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some WW, but mostly Federal now and CCI. But usually short, solid point or match stuff.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Was at Dick's in Binghamton NY just a couple hours ago. Picked up 600 rds of CCI AR Tactical .22 LR. They had lots of American Eagle LR hollow points and both Rem. and Win HV .22 shorts on the shelf too.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Walmart has Remington and Winchester .22 ammo on a regular basis, at least they do around here. They often get it more than once a week but it's always gone in the first 30 minutes. I'll give up my secret: BrassBadger, it scans Walmart's inventory and gives you the information as soon as the ammo is enroute from the distribution center, the evening before, so you just have to show up early and wait in line. BrassBadger is online and has an Android app, here's a link .

What would Porter Rockwell do?
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Over the past year I have been bartering on the forum for .22 ammo, I have gotten Federal, CCI and CMP no Win or Rem of any kind. Dunno what's up with that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Over the past year I have been bartering on the forum for .22 ammo, I have gotten Federal, CCI and CMP no Win or Rem of any kind. Dunno what's up with that.

gunwizard, that's probably a blessing in disguise. The Remington and most of the Winchester ammo is pure junk. I've had much better luck with CCI and federal/American eagle ammo.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have managed to get my hands on a few bricks of Remington Viper over the last few months. I haven't shot it yet so I have no idea of its performance on varmints or accuracy potential. Just glad to have it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our LGS's have been getting in lots of Remington Thunderbolt and some Viper. But it sells out in days. WalMart occasionally gets Winchester white-box 333-packs and they go super-fast too.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.