-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a CZ 550 American with the walnut stock and am thinking of having it slimmed down a bit. There is too much wood for my liking and smaller hands, starts around the front of the action and continues through the cheekpiece. I really don't think it needs to lose anything right in the rear of the stock by the buttpad just action through back of cheekpiece if it can be done without looking too odd, I may even consider having the cheekpiece removed to clean the gun up a bit. Wondering if this is feasible and cost effective or if I would be better off having a new stock made? Would cost of reshape, rechecker pistol grip and refinish be as much as a whole new restock? Just thinking here so don't bust my chops too hard.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've found that the CZ often had above average wood hidden under that finish. You can get everything done to your wood far less than building a new one.

Basic wood will cost you $50-100. Shaping is $125-175. Fitting, finish and checker $400 up with the focus on up. If I was going to the expense to build a new stock I wouldn't use cheap wood so in my book add another few $100 to the blank.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This factory stock has a nice figure and finish but am wanting to put the stock on a diet, just needs trimmed up a bit and of course recheckering afterwards. Looking for any advice I can get, maybe even suggestions on who to use or at least a few names so I can check out their work and contact them directly for advice and recommendations they may have.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Too much wood is a blessing and easily handled with a little patience. Too little is where it gets expensive.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since it appears Karnis doesn't post here anymore could someone PM me his contact info?

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These folks make a specialty of upgrading the 550. http://americanhuntingrifles.com/?page_id=221

No first hand experience but the photos look like very nice work.

It is not difficult to do yourself but I wouldn't start with a fine rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
These folks make a specialty of upgrading the 550. http://americanhuntingrifles.com/?page_id=221

Wayne at AHR does one heck of a job. You would need to check with him to see if he works over a factory stock. I've see his Grade 3 upgrade and the wood is first class

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ramrod340

Wayne at AHR does one heck of a job. You would need to check with him to see if he works over a factory stock. I've see his Grade 3 upgrade and the wood is first class

Going to contact them to see if they work on factory wood. Looks like they do some top notch work for sure.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wood working is easy. Just take off everything that doesn't look right. The expense to have someone else do it is in the time it takes. All you need to do it yourself is time, patience, a good eye, a rasp, mabe a rat-tail file, various grades of sandpaper and finish. It isn't hard and is highly satisfying - just think through it before you start and all the way thru. Checkering, however is a pita.

Last edited by las; 12/22/14.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Wood working is easy. Just take off everything that doesn't look right. The expense to have someone else do it is in the time it takes. All you need to do it yourself is time, patience, a good eye, a rasp, mabe a rat-tail file, various grades of sandpaper and finish. It isn't hard and is highly satisfying - just think through it before you start and all the way thru. Checkering, however is a pita.

I have actually thought about doing the shaping myself and save my money to have someone else do a more elaborate checkering pattern. I have done a bit of woodwork, built an 8 gun oak cabinet and did finish an inletted stock for my smokepole to name a couple of projects. Just a bit leary of setting in on this thing although I am certain if I take my time I can do it just fine but I also know one bad move and the cost is going to run right through the roof.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another option is to have someone that does stock duplication mill it down using a slimmer pattern stock on the duplicator. This will take a special set up unless the pattern is a really good match.

This will insure the right proportions are maintained.

But if you have done cabinetry and finishing you should have no problem.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes, get on it yourself. A couple rasps, chain saw files, sandpaper and some sanding blocks and one can shave things down to exactly what he wants. A well padded vice and some good lighting is also helpful. Unless one has some precise dimensions written down, it's tough for a professional to generate what one might be expecting anyway.

A little reading on stock making might help too. Most stocks are simply a blending of several flats and the meshing of a few angles. Just go slow and never work against the grain. I've got a chubby Marlin Guide Gun that needs some of the same treatment.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/23/14.

1Minute
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I was talking to Wayne at AHR this morning about something else. I asked him if he fooled with factory CZ stocks and he said only cutting the off to install pads, LOP change etc. Not a reshape.

As to setting it on a duplicator to only cut the outside. That is a ROYAL PAIN. If it isn't perfect it is firewood.

Had customer send me one that had been drilled for the action screws by someone thinking about doing the inletting by hand. Took an extra 30-45mintues to get it set up to perfectly match the pattern. Not something I care to do everyday.

Do it yourself. Just go slow and leave the power tools alone.

Last edited by ramrod340; 12/23/14.

Just my 2 cents.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go for it as all you can lose is a stock that you do not like! You can always get a new stock. I have a Zastava mod 70 LH to do the same thing too. Good Luck and Have Fun with your project. Clint

just for Fun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd contact Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville, Georgia he is a Member of the www.acgg.org and has done exactly what you desire for other customers.

Mike

Roger Ferrell
Roger's Gun Works, Inc.

Fayetteville
GA

(770) 460-0533

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
G
Greetings 10gaugemag, I had similar concerns regarding my CZ 550 chambered in .416 Rigby. I shipped my rifle to Triple River Gunsmithing. As per their website "Triple River Gunsmithing has been building Safari Classic Rifles for CZ-USA since 2004 in 338 Lapua, 404 Jeffery, .450 Rigby, .500 Jeffery, .505 Gibbs and other safari calibers." Harlan and his team reworked, re-checkered, and refinished the stock. In addition, they added a grip cap and ebony forend. Upon receipt of my rifle, I was amazed at the quality of their work! Cheers and good luck!

Last edited by Glenn1956; 01/05/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.