Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well as graphic as they have to be... anyway 300/221, 7.9 Lil gun currently, around 1020 fps, LC case, Rem 7.5, 2.180 oal, 194 Lehigh max expansion. Rem 700 factory 16 inch threaded. 30P1? Ti can.

First one will be exit on a buck I shot at around 60 ish yards or so, just by a guess distance wise.

Followed by a doe, shot at 123 yards by laser rangefinder, and the damage plus the bullet. Entered behind liver, on purpose, trying a longer shot and penetration stuff... broke the shoulder socket where it joins the leg bone and cam to rest after shattering that in multiple pieces, resting int he shoulder meat. Not visible IE lump under skin on off side FWIW.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c...%20body%20shots/IMG_0530_zps7bcdfc35.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c...%20body%20shots/IMG_0535_zpsf002e515.jpg[/img]

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Nice slice to the heart. I give you credit for good bullet placement. Beyond that, the damage looks pretty minimal.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have shot 5 deer this year with it. Found performance with this bullet never lacking at all.

Have not seen one go more than about 80 yards. Mostly about 50-60.

Shots from about 30 yards to 123.

I would not hesitate to use it to 200 wiht the right zero and ribcage shot. Bullet designed to open down to 750 fps.

Lil Gun is supposedly the quietest powder. Supersonic just barely the gun groups great.

Subsonic is another thing. Not quite as big as 2 moa but still I"m not that thrilled and no clue why.

Then there is the sound thing. Sometimes its like a pellet gun going off, and sometimes there is a fairly loud whoosh... not supersonic. But not pellet gun quiet by any means.

Spoke to the Thunderbeast and they say either unburned powder igniting inside can or while the projectile stays sub, the gases around go super.

Will be trying to drop it down to 900 or 950 while searching to pray to find that good accuracy node again...

I do have about 50 rounds down the tube without cleaning and we never got time to UBC the bore. IT may be fouling and raising pressures and speed too from the last chrono.

According to data this MV should remain sub sonic down to -20. It seems noticeably quieter when its warmer out, BUT the first weekend it was 50s for highs and 2 shots there were super quiet....you never know.

Bullet is so heavy it retains the energy very well to 100, and even furhter.

Did not take pictures of other deer due to time. Will continue to try to take pics.

Sure want to give 208 amax and 240 SMKs a go into a deer, will try 240s first looking for tumbling, as the 208 amax should be totally stable I suspect. Will not get that far this year unless i can find some pigs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Nice slice to the heart. I give you credit for good bullet placement. Beyond that, the damage looks pretty minimal.

thats prolly due to the lack of bruising from the comparative lack of hydrostatic shock....you dont see alot of damage from a broadhead due to this but they still kill effectively....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Not exactly sure what some would expect from a 1000 fps projectile.

Its designed to expand, does so to almost an inch I'm guessing. All deer have been VERY dead. With a variety of lung shots, including one that only got one lung that my buddy did.

They bleed out and die.

of course like in the long range forum, if its not your cup of tea thats no biggie.

But an expanding subsonic bullet that leaves an exit hole bigger than I ever expected, well that was amazing to us.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I would have shot them in the head....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, you ever try supersonic 125s?

How'd they work?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
supersonic would be in a different caliber if I ever did. No use at all for supersonic rounds out of this dink round, and suppressed. supersonic defeats the purpose, IMHO.

I have shto 125bts out of x39 and they worked fine. Nothing spectacular but did just fine and acted like a normal bullet, not a bt bomb.

My buddy runs 110 or is it 115 Barnes supersonic in his 300/221. Reports lots of dead pigs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very informative, thanks!

That's a much better exit than I saw on a pig, shooting the Outlaw States. In that case the exits looked just like the entrances.

Shooting with a can, how much does it spook other animals in the area? A couple years ago I got surprised by a large group of pigs, feeding at 25 yards from the blind. I had a Ruger #1 and a Colt 1911. I tried the .45 and dropped one, but couldn't get a 2nd shot before they were all gone. I always wonder if the can would let you get multiple shots off before they finally spook.

Those bullets look like they'd be good for defensive use, too. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was thinking it was you that sent me the other bullets.

Was hoping you'd see this!

As I noted there are issues on the can noise... usually very quiet.

I shot the first buck, the other buck and doe with him ran off, probably because he did. No one within 400-600 yards of me heard the shot at all.

Had about 20 other deer out 150 yards away, they did nothing.

Had the largest buck I've ever seen( long story there... still looking for him to come back by, I"ll shoot him this time...) on the place come by at 50 yards checking does, about 5 minutes later. This was the 60ish yard shot

Shot another doe a few weeks later. She was outside the feed pen, just barely, with a mature old buck in the pen about 10 yards behind her. He looked at her like she was nuts when she ran off. Went back to eating. 123 yard shot

Shot a 2nd doe, when I was about 50 yards from all the deer, they all ran off a bit, but stopped and came back to eat again.

My buddy shot at a doe ( we managed to get the CDS scope that doesn't have a zero stop, a full turn of elevation off). 97 yards. She never looked up. Bullet went over her.

Then he shot at one at about 35 yards, bullet of course went over her took. She walked off after looking towards the stand.

Then we got it back to zero... he shot a doe two weeks ago, 70 yards. Buck behind her at 97. He never looked up.

I can say this, everytime we've shot the gun in the brush its been quiet.

But when I shoot a direction that has a lot of open air, and then runs into a far off tree line, there is a lot louder "whoosh" than normal.

From all that, and discussions wiht thunderbeast I'll be dropping the round speed a bit more. Just to see. And they noted using a mag primer.

I'm still curious about filler to make 100% dense loads, but they didn't comment from thunderbeast and I don't really want to send that through a suppressor without an ok.
RE load density is the accuracy issues only, BUT it might also make the powder burn completely.

Hope that helps some.

I agree on defensive use, they open much more than a Barnes does, every bullet I"ve pulled from my backstop of dirt, has opened and looks very similar. To me they are wicked big exits, considering the round and speed they come from.

Lehigh ain't cheap, but they are cheap by far since they work.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks! I think the 240 SMK's will have a hard time matching those results, tumbling or not. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't know jack about using a can, but having used filler in a couple cartridges, I don't think I would want to use it in a can. Those bullets do seem pretty wicked and will be on the list to try.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gzig5
I don't know jack about using a can, but having used filler in a couple cartridges, I don't think I would want to use it in a can. Those bullets do seem pretty wicked and will be on the list to try.
Thats what I'm thinking, even if it was granular, it may still not burn....and foul the suppressor.

And really, when I look at 7-8 grains with the 194 at the depth they suggest, its really a pretty full case...

Need to call Lehigh and pick their brains some more after season is over.

will be time to tweak the trigger, bed the gun into the stock and get a good dial with zero on it finally.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to see the results of one of those out of 308 or 30-06. I'm guessing bambi wouldn't make it very far...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Jeff, I am going to give the subsonics a whirl based on this.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by gzig5
Thats what I'm thinking, even if it was granular, it may still not burn....and foul the suppressor.

And really, when I look at 7-8 grains with the 194 at the depth they suggest, its really a pretty full case...

Need to call Lehigh and pick their brains some more after season is over.

will be time to tweak the trigger, bed the gun into the stock and get a good dial with zero on it finally.

Speaking of zero...at the speed you are running that bullet, what are does the trajectory look like at 50, 150, and 200 if you zero at 100? Or if you have another combo available, i'm just interested in how quickly a 200gr starts dropping if sub-sonic.

Last edited by gzig5; 12/22/14.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Drop, no problem. I think I can still easily make it work to 200, but then I have a bit of knob turning experience to say the least...

Zero at 110, its +2 at 25, +4 at both 50 and 75, then I forget, I have it on the dial but think its 7 low at 125, I have the data somewhere for the complete thing. Ok, found it on my iphone. 100 its +2 high. 125 its -2 low, 150 its -11 low 175 its -17 low and 200 its -28 low. Thats all inches and rounded off from about 3-4 sight in runs physically shot at each distance.

Of course its impossible for it to be flat at 50 and 75, but the rise is pretty much the same at both distances, even though its a different correction on the knob.

If I could get it to group decently enough then we might have more firm data.

With a rangefinder and the knob 100 to 125 is no problem at all so far.

Depends on what you are after if thats good or bad. BC is .638..

BTW antoher post said 308/06... data on the box, and I have no clue what would happen, but designed from 750 fps to 1250 fps.

They have some kind of small cavity insert in them to help the hydraulic forces start working it looks like.

Final caveate, remember I"m a bowhunter from way back, I don't mind following trails. I am training or trying to train a blood dog now, since we inherited the mutt, and he is doing wonders but it drives me nuts running behind him to the deer, rather than following the puzzle.

I have see a couple of shots where there, even with the large exit wounds, was very little blood to follow in tall grass. Not that I could easily find. Dog had no problem following though.

On a couple though there have been good blood trails.

I can say this though, unless you are in a swamp thicket, the deer should be dead inside of 100 yards. And that can't be hard to find.

Just want folks to be really aware, its not going to be for everyone. Especially if you like ballistic tip outcomes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jeff do you notice any decrease in accuracy with the can?

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jimmy

Being that I"m dedicated somewhat to one bullet its hard to say.

I can say that I have no clue how accurate the factory gun is without the can. Why even try it that way. I know that doesn't answer the question.

I can say this, with the Lehigh, what was subsonic in the summer was under MOA a bit. But get colder and had to back off the load. Then it went down hill.

When I get more time to play with the 500 of 240 SMKs and 100 of 208 amax for cheaper plinking I"ll know a bit.

Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you I have heard some of the AAC suppressors that screw on the flash hider can result in loss of accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.