Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK heres the deal really hot water in the sinks , mostly luke warm in the showers. It has gotten worse over the years.

Upstairs is a brand new bathroom complete gut and refit about a week old now. Single lever and yes the anti scald is in the hottest position possible.

Downstairs dual lever old school nothing fancy original equipment.

I have a rheem 15A oil fired boiler, no hot water heater. Water in the sinks could scald you if your not careful because I raised the temp on the boiler to try and get a hotter shower. Shower gets hot right at the beginning then looses temp to luke warm and pretty much stays there. I used to get a really good shower so much that you would need radar to find your towel afterwards. Not so anymore. I get some steam on the glass doors but not like I used to . Tried to locate where a coil would go into the frame of the boiler but don't see where it could go in, no obvious bolts to pull one out unless it built right into the dam thing. Any thought's?

There is just 2 of us and we shower 3 hours apart. My one buddy told me to just get an indirect heater. Problem is the only place I can put one in there is behind the boiler and I would have to lift the heater up and over the boiler to do that (not an easy task). it would be a real PITA. Help Please . Thanks in Advance

I Kill Things......deal with it..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're losing hot water on the way to the shower. Check for leaks. I assume a dual pipe leading to the shower? Also, your diverter core in the shower lever has likely gone bad. Replace that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bad shower faucet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only advice about plumbing I know is:

Payday is on Friday.
Chit goes down hill.

Me

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The entire shower assembly is only a week old . Dual pipes coming in were cut and freshly joined with new copper. The run is literally 10 ft straight up no visible water leaks at all , that was checked before closing up the wall. No loss in pressure either.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Murphy's Law: If it can go wrong, it will.

There is no doubt in my mind that Murphy was a plumber.

Good luck!

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildone
The entire shower assembly is only a week old . Dual pipes coming in were cut and freshly joined with new copper. The run is literally 10 ft straight up no visible water leaks at all , that was checked before closing up the wall. No loss in pressure either.

Then you have a bad shower valve unit.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Bad shower faucet.

I really don't like those single control faucets.

- Tamara Keel
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
do you have a clothes washer in line? if so try closing the valves to it before taking your shower. ours had a messed up mixer valve and allowed cold water to mix into the hot side reducing the temp by half. I fixed that and voila' hot water again.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really have no idea and zero experience but ...

It could be a bad shower valve unit or ...

It's improperly adjusted and having the temp turned up on the water heater is causing it to over compensate.

Look at the owners manual for the shower valve unit and see if there's troubleshooting section. I'd try adjusting the shower valve, and the water heater, and then go from there.

I dunno. ???

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wildone
Shower gets hot right at the beginning then looses temp to luke warm and pretty much stays there. I used to get a really good shower so much that you would need radar to find your towel afterwards. Not so anymore.

I assume you adjust the faucet for more hot water as you shower. If so, run the shower until the control is all the way to the hot side and you are getting only luke warm water, leave it running and go shut the water off at the water heater or boiler. Now check the shower and see if you have cold water coming out. If so, you probably have a junk shower faucet.

- Tamara Keel
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Had the same problem years ago - 'till I stopped taking showers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
chit flows downhill Dean

that's what I know, no need to thank me

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
do you have a clothes washer in line? if so try closing the valves to it before taking your shower. ours had a messed up mixer valve and allowed cold water to mix into the hot side reducing the temp by half. I fixed that and voila' hot water again.

What he said!! Seriously. For sure shut off at least one valve to the washing machine. And try what savage24 said too.

Now for your further edification: The Six Rules of Plumbing:
#1: Hot on the left.
#2: Cold on the right.
#3: Schidt won't run uphill.
#4: Payday is Friday.
#5: The Boss's wife drives a Lincoln.
#6: Don't chew your fingernails after working on the sewer.

Last edited by Skeezix; 12/22/14.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Either the water isn't leaving hot enough or you are loosing a ton of heat on the way.

So is the water hot enough elsewhere - if it is try putting insulation around the copper pipes going up to the shower.

The issue with anything that heats water is that the internal tank corrosion can gum up the works and not heat the water properly. That gives you slower flows, and a very very small amount of HOT water.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Diverter valve isn't timed properly... it can be taken apart and timed, replace the cartridge, but if it's new better to just call your plumber and have him re-do it.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
chit flows downhill Dean

that's what I know, no need to thank me

I did not know that.

Thank you.

Whoa ...

Can I Thank you?

Is that appropriate ... or not?

I dunno. crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the same deal with my shower unit.
the hottest setting ,still wont get hot.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like the problems are with the sinks rather than the showers.

You're getting a cold blend through a leaking sink faucet,

How many bathrooms we talking, 2? 2 showers in both? they both act the same? This has been going for years?

Who did the upstairs remodel? A Plumber, or a "handyman"? This "Plumber" was in your house and couldn't find the problem, but you think We can do this over the internet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
recent plumbing work suggests that some pipe dope or other debris is blocking a screen/filter or opening at the diverter valve. Shut water off, remove diverter valve and clean out. Easy peasy

All American

All the time
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, 8 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.