Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Remington 700 223AI that I have been shooting for several years. I have never been able to get feed smoothly. I have a milled follower.

Every once in a while it will feed smoothly, but 9 out of 10 I have to wiggle the bolt to get it to feed the rest of the way in. My brass is being terribly scuffed.

I was wondering if any of yall have swapped to a center feed system and if so was there a noticeable improvement in the feeding? I was looking at the wyatts center feed mag box. All I see listed is a bdl mag box, will they work in a ADL setup?

The next option is to go with a Badger type setup wit AICS mags. Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What does the scuff look like. Is a scratch that runs along the casing, or is it a wide short scuff? How far in the chamber is the round when you have to start wiggling the bolt?

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have you looked inside of the chamber? I've never seen ammo that was a scuffed up as that.

Aim for the exit hole.
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well those have been chambered many times.... those are dummy rounds. Fired rounds usually only have one scuff and thats if it hangs up while feeding.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
@ Badley: Looks like the same problem I hadwith my two 700 S As. Do this: Load a few rounds straight into the chamber without loading in the magazine first. If there's no hanging-up or case scratches-- then the problem is with the undersides of the mag feed lips. You could probably feel it with your fingers by depressing the follower and checking, but be very careful when you do. I got cut by the sharp edge on both of mine [ .243s--A Varminter w/H BRL. and 700 Syn. w/22" Brl.] Took some 220 wet-or-dry then 320 and finally 600. Edges are slicker 'n owl s.... Well.... let's say--- no hanging-up and no scratched cases. Try it . It may solve your problem. Good Hunting.
WILL.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ill check that out blue. It has no problem feeding standard 223 rounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess the linear scratches are a secondary problem and not what is causing the problem. Sounds like the smith forgot to chamfer/radius the leading edge of the chamber, or didn't radius enough. Shine a light in there it should have a slight radius!

As already stated the rails can be polished to be easier on the brass. I would collapse the spring a bit as well. Looks like it's putting lots of "up" on the follower...

X-VERMINATOR

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 12/23/14.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does this look right?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to tell but I don't see a radius there. Do you?

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll see if I can hang a pic..

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who was it that set the barrel back and rechambered??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like this??

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could not capture a pic with my chitty camera. The leading edge of the chamber should have a slight chamfer, bevel, radius around the circumference...

Most cartridges with a bit of taper can get by without it but I've found AI's benefit greatly by doing it...

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Like this??

[Linked Image]

There it is. That shows it clearly!!

X-VERMINATOR

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know, picked this gun up already chambered. I worked up a load and it shoots great. Both fire forming and fire formed loads. I liked it so much i decided to make it even better and had it rebarreled with a 1/8 Hart. While rebarreling the smith went through the action and trued everything. Had issues with the gun after that failing to fire. I got frustrated with the gun, took it back to the smith and had him swap the barrel back out. Sent the bolt off to Gre-Tan and had the firing pin bushed and have not had a issue with it failing to fire since then. Now that it fires like it is suppose too, I want it to feed like it is suppose too. I'm really getting fed up with the gun, but I am in it to deep to just walk away.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Like this??

[Linked Image]

Mine definitely doesn't have that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the X-man hit the nail on the head.

Wonder if it would have been good with the Hart if the firing pin had been bushed before the change back to the Rem barrel?? How long ago was that and do you think the smith still has the barrel??

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Heck I can see brass shavings now that I am looking.

Badley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think the X-man hit the nail on the head.

Wonder if it would have been good with the Hart if the firing pin had been bushed before the change back to the Rem barrel?? How long ago was that and do you think the smith still has the barrel??

I sold the barrel to a buddy, its now a 22-250AI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.