Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I am thinking about getting a Ruger Hawkeye M77 in 7MM rem mag and would like to know if there is anyone that has had some experience with this rifle and if the new M77 is a accurate rifle? I have heard that they are and then read that they are not.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lonehawk, I've got a Hawkeye All-Weather in 7mm08. It will shoot Hornaday Am. Whitetail fac. 139 gr. into 3/4 " all day. It has done this since the first trip to the range brand new without fail, so I've never even tried anything else in it. I can't remember when I've been more pleased with a rifle right out the box. While mine is s/a and a 22" bbl, the balance and handling are just about perfect. The l/a 24" shouldn't be that different.
John

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine are all excellent rifles. My Rugers are all floated and bedded and if you need the trigger tuned a bit they are easy to work on.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad has an All-Weather chambered in 308......I don't have anything in my safe that is as accurate as it is.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a 223,308, and 358. All three are very accurate going below 3/4 MOA with ammo they like. A few years ago I got dad the 338 Fed. It shoots the 200 gr Fusion load into a big ragged hole.

A friend got one in 7 Mag and its OK but not great. 1 1/4" groups with factory ammo and just below 1" with handloads.

Another friend got one in 257 Bob. It was crap out of the box. bed/float and lapping the bore took care of it and its a heckuva shooter now.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Hawkeye in 257 Roberts about 2 years ago. Would not shoot for anything. Replaced trigger out of the box, tried in stock form. Nada. Floated, nada. Bedded the action, nada. It is now a 7x57 in a McWoody. Its the only 77 I couldnt get to shoot out of the 7 I have owned. Lemons every now and then I guess.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had one and it was a 1.5 moa shooter when I got it. After bedding it, it became a solid 1 moa shooter...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some 100 and 200 yard targets from the 308 SS All Weather Hawkeye I used to own. I only sold it after buying a Winchester EW that I like slightly better. Accuracy is about the same with the Winchester. I'd highly recommend the Hawkeye.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a left hand 7mm-08 I just got this year. After I replaced the trigger spring with one from earniethegunsmith and got it to two and a half lbs, it shoots the 139 interlocks into a half inch 5 shot group and I'm a lousey bench shooter. Havn't tried anything else with it as to why mess with success.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I purchased my first Ruger Hawkeye in 308 winchester. I was disappointed at first when trying to work up loads. I was getting 1.5-3 inch groups. After consulting a few guys here on this forum with suggestions to free float, bed, and putting in an aftermarket rifle basix trigger it shoots sub moa. I will more than likely buy another down the road.

People forget that 2 inches at 100 is plenty accurate for hunting but for the perfectionist it simply won't do.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Mine are all excellent rifles. My Rugers are all floated and bedded and if you need the trigger tuned a bit they are easy to work on.

That says it for me, too. Have three LH Hawkeyes in .308, .25-06 and .223 and had a gunsmith glass bed, free float and do a trigger job on all three. Triggers all break cleanly from about 3 down to 2 pounds (he overdid that last one wink ), and all three are definitely sub-moa for five shots, not just three. The .25-06 especially is a real bug hole shooter.

Out of the box with no mods all three were good shooters although triggers were a mite heavy - all three rifles definitely benefited from the tweaking.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have one NIB (blue/wood) that I should get pics of and list to sell.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy it. They are a little rough around the edges but easy to work out and in my experience they will shoot. I like Rugers...........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion the Ruger Hawkeye rifles are one of the best values on the market. But I'm definitely biased as I have a safe full of Ruger M77, MKII and Hawkeye rifles and all shoot well. (I ditched the Ruger American I fiddled with for a year and couldn't get to shoot.)

Free float the barrel and reseal the channel, a 15-20 minute job you can do yourself, then torque the action to the stock - really tight up front, tight in the rear and just tight enough in the middle to keep the screw from backing out.

The LC6 trigger on my Hawkeye and Scout was pretty good as it came from the factory, a definite improvement over earlier Ruger triggers. All of them are easy to work on, though, and I've yet to replace one. The LC6 is the easiest yet - sear engagement was already close to minimum on the Hawkeye and on the Scout it was at minimum. Pretty much just took a Dremel and Cratex fine and extra-fine polishing wheels and polished out the faint tool marks on the mating surfaces, then used jeweler's rouge and a buffing wheel for a final polish, leaving a mirror finish. Maybe half an hour's work start to finish.

The 7mm RM is a fine cartridge - my first centerfire was a Ruger M77 in 7mm RM back in 1982 and it has been my most-used hunting rifle. (Partly because it was my only big-game legal bolt rifle for the first 20 years.) Took it out again this year. It will outlast me and, with a modicum of good treatment, my children's children.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
I purchased my first Ruger Hawkeye in 308 winchester. I was disappointed at first when trying to work up loads. I was getting 1.5-3 inch groups. After consulting a few guys here on this forum with suggestions to free float, bed, and putting in an aftermarket rifle basix trigger it shoots sub moa. I will more than likely buy another down the road.

People forget that 2 inches at 100 is plenty accurate for hunting but for the perfectionist it simply won't do.

Hey, who you calling a perfectionist Willis... grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a SS Hawkeye in 223. Floated the barrel and put in a Timney. Great shooter and loves the Nosler 64 gr BSB. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My LH Hawkeye .270 is under an inch, shooting 130gr tsx over H4350..... All day long!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rjencks
My LH Hawkeye .270 is under an inch, shooting 130gr tsx over H4350..... All day long!

wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a the 375 Ruger Alaskan, only Ruger rifle I own. All I've ever done is put a scope on it, very minimal load work up, and it shoots better than I can. Makes one heck of a handy whitetail rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image] After working on it some, not bad but could do better?

Finished product. Magazine Box was binding.

[Linked Image]
Ruger Hawkeye 308 with 165 Hornady BTSP

Last edited by Esox357; 12/26/14.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 13,724 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,148
Posts18,542,598
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.