Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just bought another of these scopes. This is the 1" version that has been out of production for a few years. I've found the one I have to be the best low light scope I have ever used but I have never owned the higher end Zeiss or Swaro or S&B scopes. I paid $650 for each of mine and it's about my limit on scope price.

These scopes are quite trim and light for 50mm at only 15.5 OZ. I just wondered if the higher end Swaro's Zeiss, or S&B scopes offer a lot more. Basically I'm having a little buyers remorse since I don't have a rifle to mount this one on right now.

I just don't see these often and wanted opinions as to what is currently as good or better in this price range in case I do let this one go.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dont let it go! Kahles has one helluva reputation in low light, ^4650 sounds like a bargain.

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kahles is great glass and you've gotten more than your money's worth. I do not have the 3-10x50 but have two 3-9x42 and one 4-12x52 and they are about as good as it gets. I don't think you'll ever find anything much better-crisp flat glass and really rugged.

3-9x42 MZ on a .338wm

[Linked Image]

4-12x52 MZ on .300wm

[Linked Image]

3-9x42 on .50 cal muzzle loader

[Linked Image]

Golden............
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have it on the way. I have another 3-10X50 Helia CL and it is really good in low light. It's better than a Zeiss HD5 that I owned as well as a 3.5-10X50 Conquest I had. It's the best low light scope I've ever looked through.

I didn't need to spend the money right now but I don't see these available very often. I just wanted to make sure it was as good as I thought and worth spending the money to go on a rifle I don't even own yet.It's in like new condition and may not have ever been mounted.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I just bought another of these scopes. This is the 1" version that has been out of production for a few years. I've found the one I have to be the best low light scope I have ever used but I have never owned the higher end Zeiss or Swaro or S&B scopes. I paid $650 for each of mine and it's about my limit on scope price.

These scopes are quite trim and light for 50mm at only 15.5 OZ. I just wondered if the higher end Swaro's Zeiss, or S&B scopes offer a lot more. Basically I'm having a little buyers remorse since I don't have a rifle to mount this one on right now.

I just don't see these often and wanted opinions as to what is currently as good or better in this price range in case I do let this one go.

One of the highest rated scopes on Opticstalk , I believe it was number 1 or tied for 1 in their scope comparison chart. Ihad one and should never have sold it . Good luck trying to surpass it. I wish they still imported them and at the price they originally sold for.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

One of the highest rated scopes on Opticstalk , I believe it was number 1 or tied for 1 in their scope comparison chart. Ihad one and should never have sold it . Good luck trying to surpass it. I wish they still imported them and at the price they originally sold for.

I think the current model is about $1200, which is why I bought this one at half that price.This is the 4th Kahles I've bought in the last 3 years. I've just never owned anything more expensive to compare them to. I don't however think there is anything around $650 out there that is better. My Conquest HD5 was nice but I sold it when I bought the 3-10X50 Kahles because the Kahles was better in every way.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For some reason they don't fetch as much as they are worth, IMO, on the used market. Have four of them (3 2-7 MZ & 1 3-9 MZ) and they are the only 2nd Focal Plane scopes I use. Kind of like one of the best kept secrets. LOL

Enjoy it!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought the 3-10x50 CL from when CDNN Investments had the Kahles closeouts. Turns out I'm not a big fan of 50mm objectives for hunting rifles (mounts up too high) so traded it for a 3-9x42. Kahles needs to get back in the midpriced 1" market. Great optics.

Last edited by kcTbear; 12/31/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About a year ago I tested my CL 3-9X42 against a brand new out-of-the-box Leupold 6 x 42. It wasn't even close, the CL was way brighter at last light conditions than the 6 x 42. The similar thickness reticle showed up better too. Guess which one went away? :-)

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would like a 3X9X42 but the 50mm is only 1.4 OZ heavier and it will mount in the same Burris Signature Zee rings as the 42mm model on my Kimber. I'm thinking of setting up a Montana 308 using this new scope. I have mounted one before and it isn't too bad for a 50mm since it only weighs 15.5 OZ. I'm not really a big fan of 50mm scopes but low light performance is very important where and how I hunt. 90% of the time shot opportunities come at last light and our definition of end of hunt is an arbitrary "dark".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a huge 50mm guy but I do have one sitting and waiting for a rifle that calls for it. No argument from me on Kahles quality. Only scopes I own anymore are a mixture of AH and CL - mostly 2-7x36s with a smattering of 3-9x42s.

I miss being able to pick them up for $375, seems word got out and the used market went up over the past year or so. Still worth every penny when compared to similarly priced optics sold currently.

Last edited by hillestadj; 12/31/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had one and liked it very much. Optics were great. Spent a couple of evenings with a friend at the range comparing it with a Swaro PH 2-10x42,and a S&B Summit till after lights out..

It hung in there very well with the other two except that it required focusing at 10X as the light got poor. The other two scopes did not.

Otherwise excellent optics.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hillestadj
I'm not a huge 50mm guy but I do have one sitting and waiting for a rifle that calls for it. No argument from me on Kahles quality. Only scopes I own anymore are a mixture of AH and CL - mostly 2-7x36s with a smattering of 3-9x42s.

I miss being able to pick them up for $375, seems word got out and the used market went up over the past year or so. Still worth every penny when compared to similarly priced optics sold currently.

I have two of the 2-7X36 models and they are my favorite. I'm very partial to that power and size anyway but when I am going on an evening hunt I'll take my rifle with the 3-10X50. I've compared them side by side and while the 2-7's are good the 50mm is a lot better in low light.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had that exact model and would have kept it had the reticle been a #4 instead of 4-a. It was a terrific low-light performer and good enough for moon-only shots on hogs. That scope outperforms the Conquest, Swaro Z3 and Conquest HD5 and is nipping at the heels of the Diavari Victory.

Your $650 Kahles scopes represent a heck of a bargain when you consider what you are getting.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys
That makes me feel a little better about my impulse purchase.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought 2 of that same model from CDNN a few years ago on closeout for $500 each. Worth every dollar!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I bought 2 of that same model from CDNN a few years ago on closeout for $500 each. Worth every dollar!!!

Exactly what I should have done if I had any brains left

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are outstanding, you will not be dissapointed and won't get much more bang for your buck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 46 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,250
Posts18,504,685
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.