Print Thread
Hop To
L
lv2hunt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I like to add a little fat to my deer and elk burger but my Cabelas grinder wont touch fat. Thinking of getting a LEM grinder but I don't want to waste money on another grinder that wont grind fat. Any info on the LEM grinders is appreciated

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why wont it grind fat? What happens?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
lv2hunt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
The fat clogs it up immediately. It will grind meat all day long but as soon a I add a little fat it clogs

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make sure fat is close to freezing, and meat not much more. But then again it's a Cabelas. I have no problem with my 15 year old, $100, Northern Tool grinder

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
lv2hunt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
We have tried all of the tricks and haven't had much luck. It won't even grind beef.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you sure you have good sharp knives and plate. I have ground deer with the grinder on my wife's kitchen aid mixer. Have to cut on strips about 3/4 but it will do a good job.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
lv2hunt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I think the knives are sharp. Like I mentioned, it will grind meat all day long but the fat clogs it up right away. Cabelas customer service was less than helpful with this problem. I have two elk hanging, ready to process. I need a good grinder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lv2hunt
It will grind meat all day long
It won't even grind beef.

????????????????

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L
lv2hunt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
By meat I mean deer and elk. It works fine if I don't add fat.
We tired to grind some beef for a friend but the fat content in the beef was enough to also clog the grinder

IC B3

L
lv2hunt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks 284LUVR
I'm assuming that you also add some fat to your venison.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pork fat to the burger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We tired to grind some beef for a friend but the fat content in the beef was enough to also clog the grinder

Gottta be cold meat. Are you using plates with the small holes for your first grind ? Larger holes first then step down. Sometimes 2 or even 3 grinds is the way to go.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the knives are sharp. ....... I need a good grinder.

Replace or do a really, really good job of sharpening the knives and plates. If you are freezing meat and fat to near freezing (chunks are just a bit hard on the outside but not completely frozen through) and you can't get the grinder to work - your plates and knives are the only remaining 'suspects'!
I like this style of knife - get the best steel you can afford.
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/20-22-grinder-knives/butcher-grinder-plates

Good Luck!!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Gottta be cold meat. Are you using plates with the small holes for your first grind ? Larger holes first then step down. Sometimes 2 or even 3 grinds is the way to go.

Yes!! I hadn't thought of that - fat will definitely smear if you jam it through too small a plate. Good catch!!
But,I'm still wondering if it's dull knives.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

This tells me that you have a few problems. Remember a grinder "cuts" so if it's not cutting look at the surfaces first.

1. Your blades could be dull. If there is any roll over on them or glazed spots you need to sharpen them or replace.
2. Your plate is warped, pitted, or worn out. If the blades don't sit flat over the whole surface then it will plug up and not cut.
3. You don't have enough pressure between the plate and the knifes. You have to tighten them up good.

If your blade is worn and can't contact the plate then you should replace both as well if your not trying to grind too big of pieces through a small plate. This is what I would do;

Get a nice flat stone and using a circular motion with a little WD-40 (works better than any oil or spit) on it flatted both sides of the plate. Next get your blade sit it flat on it and do the same until the blade has nice new metal entirely across and no dull spots or rolled metal at the tip. Next clean and reassemble paying close attention to ensure they are touching and tighten it up.

I always put some oil on my parts when I put them away as well, just a lite coat.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (boatboy, Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,232 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.