Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[b][color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

Former three-term New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, the liberal son of Italian immigrants who gained national attention with a rousing speech at the 1984 Democratic National Convention criticizing then- President Ronald Reagan, died Thursday. He was 82.

Cuomo, who went on after the speech to become considered a leading contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in in 1988 and 1992, died in New York of a heart condition.

Cuomo was hospitalized for a heart condition in November 2014 shortly after his son, current New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, won re-election to a second term. The New York Post reported that Mario Cuomo joined his son at a victory event, but was rushed to the hospital the next day.

The New York City native held the highest office in the state for over a decade, between 1983 and 1994. He was defeated in his bid for a fourth term by Republican George Pataki. Before that, he was lieutenant governor of New York from 1979 to 1982.

However, Cuomo never lost sight of his humble beginnings as a son of immigrants. When asked by the New York Times Magazine in 2011 if he was proud that his son Andrew was following in his footsteps, he said he felt lucky rather than prideful.

�I somehow stumbled through and became a governor,� he said. �I�ve told you that story. It was all luck. Luck and nothing else.�

During his tenure, Cuomo was known as a staunch liberal.

He rose to national prominence after a rousing speech at the 1984 Democratic National Convention, in which he criticized Reagan�s economic policies. He accused Reagan of believing in social Darwinism, and said the president�s analogy of America as a �city on the hill� was only for some of its people.

�In fact, Mr. President, this is a nation -- Mr. President you ought to know that this nation is more a �Tale of Two Cities� than it is just a �Shining City on a Hill,�� Cuomo said in the address.

Cuomo was considered a leading contender for the Democratic presidential nominations in 1988 and 1992, but chose both times not to seek the office. After being defeated for a fourth term, he retired from politics and worked at Manhattan law firm Willkie, Farr & Gallagher.

He was a graduate of St. John�s University and St. John�s University School of Law.

Cuomo is survived by his wife of 60 years, Matilda, and his five children Margaret, Andrew, Maria, Madeline and Chris. Andrew Cuomo was formerly married to Kerry Kennedy, daughter of Robert F. Kennedy.

Margaret Cuomo is a well-known radiologist who frequently writes and blogs about cancer prevention. Maria Cuomo, known as Maria Cuomo Cole, is married to fashion designer Kenneth Cole. Chris Cuomo is an anchor for CNN�s �New Day.�

GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
HA! That makes your avatar very fitting.

Regardless, RIP Mister NY.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Where are they burying him ? I gotta piss.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many of the comments are priceless!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

LMFAO!!!!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
His son needs to follow him to hell

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Would it be un-Christian of me to hope that junior follows closely on his heels?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I almost peed myself reading that one . . .

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If he's not in Hell, there is no Hell.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Again, misdirected. You all should be pissing on over half of the New York residents. I'm betting there are a few on the 'Fire that voted for him too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Again, misdirected. You all should be pissing on over half of the New York residents. I'm betting there are a few on the 'Fire that voted for him too.

never said he would be the lone ranger

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More than half the state voted for him, and his son. Hell, NY couldn't even get more than a 1/3rd out to vote to kick his son out.

NY gets what it deserves, of course there are lots of good Yankees there, like there are lots of good Muslims.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Agreed, and that after having had Guliani save their asses previously.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not everyone gets what they deserve lots of conservative folks in the Northeast. I fail to see how insulting an entire region is a very intelligent strategy. Especially since the last time around they kicked your ass. I have always found the South to be a really great area full of folks who shared my values and beliefs. It does have it's share of idiots mostly confined to the large metros very similar to our region. So how about we stop re-fighting the war of northern aggression and rejoice in one less commie bastard for us to deal with.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Makes sense, keep funneling your money to them.

Sharing beliefs is nice, but what impact have you made, besides continually given money to the state that wants to take away rights?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
????? Mario Cuomo was a scumbag but he was just a tempest in the teapot. The KING of all leftists and their icon was a southie. LBJ made the liberal/left/progressive wing what it is with his "Great Society". Do I have to hold Texas to blame for that abortion?? How about the rest of the southie dems??? THEY created the froamework for the scuz to flourish. At least the scumbag Cuomos influence hasn't poisoned the entire nation.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
More than half the state voted for him, and his son. Hell, NY couldn't even get more than a 1/3rd out to vote to kick his son out.

NY gets what it deserves, of course there are lots of good Yankees there, like there are lots of good Muslims.

This is the part that bothered me. Voter turnout was terrible. I looked up the statistics and upstate could have outnumbered New York City. Cuomo lost Long Island too! The voter turnout in my county was around 30%, the other counties I looked up were about the same. Voter turmout in the 5 buroughs of NYC was around 25%. He didn't win by that much. All the people that say ustate can't win because we're outnumbered don't have that excuse anymore...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately a common bitch I see here on a national level (they're all the same, I ain't gonna waste my time voting) has come up MANY times in my conversations with folks here on the state level. THEY lost their right to bitch as they could have made change but were so wrapped up in NOT having "Mr.Perfect" that they couldn't get their heads out of their asses causing a schhitty outlook.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
????? Mario Cuomo was a scumbag but he was just a tempest in the teapot. The KING of all leftists and their icon was a southie. LBJ made the liberal/left/progressive wing what it is with his "Great Society". Do I have to hold Texas to blame for that abortion?? How about the rest of the southie dems??? THEY created the froamework for the scuz to flourish. At least the scumbag Cuomos influence hasn't poisoned the entire nation.

There are many and LBJ just as you say is at the top of that batting order.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.