Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
would like a good pair of upland boots that are waterproof and don't have a tread that would hold mud. Also must be fairly light weight and break-in easy. Any suggestions?

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GF bought me a pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorns. Most comfortable boots I've ever owned. I've read people questioning the durability of said boot, I guess we'll find out. Hunted all last fall in these and haven't had any issues yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pair of Browning Lightwieght upland boots.

I like em. They are comfortable, light, & water proof. I'll get another pair when these one die.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm with Supercub.Got a pair last fall. Luv'em.

Too old to suffer fools
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The L.L. bean boot is graet for bird hunting. I have a pair with 14" uppers super lite and very comfortable. Darren

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other, for you freedom.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ohiohunter,

About 4 years back, I took a chance and it changed my mind on this topic forever. I'd been to So Dakota 3 years running, hunting hard for 3-4 days. I'd always come away with tired, sore feet. I called Russell Moccasin co in Berlin, WI. I didn't have time to have a custom pair of their South 40 Birdshooters made for me, so I ordered a pair of their "In stock sizes" sent out. At the time they cost $285 plus shipping. I wore them around the office for about a week, only on carpet and never outside. I was trying to notice if their was any discomfort because if they didn't fit, I would send them back for a full refund. Off I went to So Dakota with my friends, and I tell you, It was an extremly hard decision to finally put those boots on and wear them in the "dirt"; at which point I knew I could not get a refund. Even after 3 days of hard hunting, I could keep on going for ever, I felt. I still feel that way. So much, that I ordered an even more expensive custom pair of their Sheep Hunters for hunting mountain game here, out west. I will tell you that I've had the Sheep Hunters picked up twice by UPS, after calling Russell and requesting a "tweak" to the fit. Russell paid for the pick-up by the way. They now fit and feel wonderful and can't wait for this Fall's deer, elk and blue grouse season in Utah.

Here's the link to the South 40 Birdshooters.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_birdshooters/bs_south40.html

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Check these by Danner

Sharptail covey (dark brown gortex) - light, mid solid sole, and gortex - I am on my second pair, my oldest son nabbed my original pair. Good for fields/soft dirt, sole self-cleans and they are light.

Grouse - I have a pair of these that are 20 years old, rebuilt once by danner after 15 years. Excellent, light weight, vibram sole.

Danner light (same design as the grouse by 6" boot) - excellent all around.

The only caution - the Grouse and Light have no insulation - at 30 deg, you will get cold feet (been there).

The pronghorns I have are the first batch, light as sneakers, comfortable, but I find they are tough on the feet for a day of walking in the fields/broken terrain. I woke up today after walking around off an on dove hunting with sore feet.

C
C
The L.L. bean boot is graet for bird hunting. I have a pair with 14" uppers super lite and very comfortable. Darren

I second the above recommendation

~Cold

458 SOCOM owner? You need to be here.
www.458SOCOMforums.com

"Big Bores for Big Boars"
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I recently got a pair of the Danner Pronghorns mentioned above and these things were so comfortable they didn't need any breaking in. I haven't tried any of the others mentioned but am interested in seeing what kind of life I get out of these Danners.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.