Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hopefully the Winchester brass is just a seasonal run issue. I see where Nosler is producing brass and it is available in places. I think the 325WSM is a great 8mm round.

I am not an elk hunter, and have not shot anything with mine. I have carried it a few times moose hunting, but the moose did not cooperate. Mine is a Kimber Montana.

I have a couple of buddies that have whacked moose or two with the factory 200 Accubond and they are sold on it. I prefer the 200TSX.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read that 325 brass has been discontinued by Winchester.

However, there's a lot of 300 WSM brass out there and it can be easily resized to 325. Just use a tapered expander ball and full length resize it. Be sure to thoroughly lube the inside of the neck.
The only difference between the 300 and 325 cases is the neck diameter. You're only increasing it by .015" which is very little. It's less than expanding the 30-06 to 338-06 which commonly done.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winchester's web site still lists it but that's not saying their site is current.
WINCHESTER CASES

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I use the 200gr accubond and it has put down two elk no prob. Shots were at 160 and 320. It has also done a fine job on antelope and a few deer.

Very little recoil and easy to carry in the ported Kimber Montana. It is the largest caliber gun I'll ever need on this continent smile

Gun control means hitting your target.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
beretz,

In Africa in 2007, one of my hunting partners brought a .325 and a bunch of the 220 Power Point factory loads. After a few days the PH told him to quit using it, and stick to the .375 H&H he brought for Cape buffalo instead, even on plains game. The 220 retained weight fine, but opened so widely it didn't penetrate very deeply on heavier animals like zebra.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to load 220 Swift A-Frames for a buddy in his .325. I think he killed two elk with that load, no complaints. Also killed about 10 antelope with his .325 because it shot so well.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
200 gn accubond did the job for me on a big cow 365 yards

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My Kimber shines with the 200 grain Accubond lit with RS Big Game and a WLRM primer. Only had the opportunity on one elk so far. 330 yards, single shot, two steps and falling over. Huge amounts of blood pooled up on the ground around her soaking through the quickly accumulating snow. First elk with my Montana, and hopefully many more to come.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mine won't shoot 200 Accubonds at all. Handles the 200 TSX very well though.

RL17 works well but I switched to 4007 or H414 because I can actually buy these powders.

Last edited by North61; 01/03/15.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Kimber doesn't shoot 200 Accubonds very well either, however every flat base bullet I've tried so far shoots great with H4350. A pard and his Dad shoot A-bolts and love the Accubond in their 325's...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Rifles are funny aren't they? Mine shoots those Accubonds so well. I have also seen good results with Partitions and recently with the 220 Sierra Game King. Have some H4350, but haven't opened it yet. Still have a few pounds of Big Game and have had good results with RL17 too. Tried imr4007 but saw pressure signs too early, although accuracy was good. Also used imr4350 with good results. Love the rifle and look forward to getting to know how it does even more.

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 01/03/15.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boomwack
Brother left with me a 325 wsm with dies, bullets and some RL19. It is a model 16 stainless savage w/ nikon 3x9 prostaff for glass. He knew I would be fiddle'n with it sooner or later.

I ended up at 68 gr. of RL 19 and a CCI 250 cap under a 200 gr. accubond for 2900 fps and groups the same size as the precision $3000.00 long range rifles built just south of my home and I have had the privilege to shoot on occasion. Brother may have issues getting his 325 back now....

I love the 338 win mag, but this 325 runt shoots just as good and with less recoil, and a bullet very close to the same diameter.

So, its inevitable It will go with me this october a time or three for elk, brother be damned..... How will this 8mm runt magnum cartridge perform on elk? I am very anxious to find out grin

The 300 WSM knocks the hell outa elk, I don't see why the 325 would be any different. When it first came out, they tried to say it was better than the 338 win mag. Same velocities as the 300 win mag with the same knockdown power as the 338 win mag. Major marketing bs hype, but it is what it is...Short fat and new (2005), make the best of it... grin

This is what Chuck Hawks had to say about the 325 wsm in an article he wrote.

Titled, "The short magnum cartridges":

"In the same class as the .300 short magnums is the .325 WSM. This cartridge came about as the result of a failed attempt to create a .338 WSM. The .325 WSM is intentionally misnamed to make it sound bigger than it is. It actually has a .315" bore diameter and should have been named the .315 WSM. It is an 8mm cartridge and its performance is nearly identical to that of the .300 WSM. The most important difference between this cartridge and the .300 WSM is the relative scarcity of 8mm bullets for reloading. Another drawback is its vicious recoil in the light Browning and Winchester rifles supplied in .325 WSM, recoil comparable to the .338 RCM and in excess of the .350 Rem. Mag.

The .338 RCM is offered factory loaded with 200 and 225 grain bullets, which is fine as far as it goes. It is an excellent elk cartridge. Unfortunately, the long 250 grain bullets that made the .338 Win. Magnum's reputation as a slayer of giant animals takes up too much powder space in the short RCM case to be practical. That leaves the .338 RCM a definite step ahead of the .325 WSM, but clearly infrerior to the .338 Win. Mag."

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my 325 wsm far as recoil it's a pussy cat. My 338 wsm will push a 225gr to 2860 out a 22 1/2 in barrel.

Last edited by 79S; 01/04/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I'm shooting the factory Winchester ammo in 200gr accubond. It groups an inch at 100 yds out of my Kimber 8400. Performance wise they have been great, and the gun is sighted 2" high at 100.

The only thing is the brake on the gun, it is sooo loud when I shoot it in the field. I am considering removal but don't want to fix something that isn't broken. Its just for my ears. The brake was originally for my dad when he shot it because he has spine/shoulder issues. I could really do without it, but will it change my zero?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I like my 325 wsm far as recoil it's a pussy cat. My 338 wsm will push a 225gr to 2860 out a 22 1/2 in barrel.

Sounds like an elk stomper to me. Both the 325 and 338 wsm.. What kind of powder do you use to push them that fast? Are you using IMR 4007 in both cartridges? Are you seeing early signs of pressure like what has been mentioned in previous posts?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hdk182

I'm shooting the factory Winchester ammo in 200gr accubond. It groups an inch at 100 yds out of my Kimber 8400. Performance wise they have been great, and the gun is sighted 2" high at 100.

The only thing is the brake on the gun, it is sooo loud when I shoot it in the field. I am considering removal but don't want to fix something that isn't broken. Its just for my ears. The brake was originally for my dad when he shot it because he has spine/shoulder issues. I could really do without it, but will it change my zero?

If you cut it off, how long will it be when done? You should still be good if you don't go too short. If you go too short, you'll end up with a lot of muzzle blast and almost defeat the purpose. A 22-23" WSM would probably be about perfect, all else considered. Have the barrel professionally crowned and you shouldn't lose any accuracy, however you will lose a little velocity. Depending on how short you go with it..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Sounds like an elk stomper to me. Both the 325 and 338 wsm.. What kind of powder do you use to push them that fast? Are you using IMR 4007 in both cartridges? Are you seeing early signs of pressure like what has been mentioned in previous posts?

I use a book load of 4007 in the 325 wsm and rl 17 in the 338 wsm. I was getting pressure signs in the 338 wsm on the high end hard extraction etc.. Backed off and settled for what I got now.. I bet I could get the .338 200gr accubonds screaming out of it.

Last edited by 79S; 01/04/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, elk season slipped by with not seeing one legal animal in Idaho to kill... no matter the caliber of rifle I carried. Thats the reality of elk hunting grin

When Winchester brought out the 'short fats', I wondered how they would catch on. Remington wasted no time with there "short fats" and they seem to fall to the way side first and fast.

This 325 wsm I like. Its just a little more than the 30 cal, but not quite a 338 my favored elk caliber. The rifle is light to carry, recoil very manageable and bullets that have good diameter and weight for any animal in the north American continent, but seems to be looked over. I wonder were it will be in cartridge sales in the next few years

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
boomwack, I think the wsm's will be around for a looooooong time. They are extremely accurate and efficient as long as you don't overload them with too heavy of a bullet. The 300 is king of the WSM's as far as popularity goes, but I don't see the 325 going anywhere too soon. You have seen what's happened to the good ol 8mm mauser and 8mm rem mag though. More of a European market and one the American public may overlook at times...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If you cut it off, how long will it be when done? You should still be good if you don't go too short. If you go too short, you'll end up with a lot of muzzle blast and almost defeat the purpose. A 22-23" WSM would probably be about perfect, all else considered. Have the barrel professionally crowned and you shouldn't lose any accuracy, however you will lose a little velocity. Depending on how short you go with it..

Thanks for the input. Ill think it over...losing what I already have going would stink, it is a very good setup. Maybe Ill carry earplugs instead smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hdk182

Thanks for the input. Ill think it over...losing what I already have going would stink, it is a very good setup. Maybe Ill carry earplugs instead smile
You might ask around at the gunsmiths. Someone might know of another someone wanting a brake and who is willing to do a barrel swap. The odds aren't good but you never know.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (21, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.