Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Formidilosus,

Apparently NF is open to a hunting reticle, see the IHR (International Hunting Reticle). How could they possibly screw it up so bad? Who tested this reticle? I am at a loss.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Just seeing the usual problems. Incorrect tracking, failures to return to zero, and occasional loss of zero. They are still better than the variables.

It used to be that the only things you had to worry about was the rear ring breaking the reticle if over tightened, and the adjustment values being off. They held zero well, adjusted consistently, and returned to zero.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Doesn,t Phil Shoemaker use 2 and 3x Leupold scopes on his DGR rifles ?

Last edited by bcraig; 01/04/15.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Just seeing the usual problems. Incorrect tracking, failures to return to zero, and occasional loss of zero. They are still better than the variables.

It used to be that the only things you had to worry about was the rear ring breaking the reticle if over tightened, and the adjustment values being off. They held zero well, adjusted consistently, and returned to zero.

Thanks for your help!
Steve

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was fresh out of the Army at the time of that pic and that's what I had for a pack! Have since greatly improved my pack selection, but I still use the ALICE for some short distance pack outs - it stays in the back of the pickup for hunting season and if it blows out or gets stolen I figure they did me a favor. grin

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
John, I had not read your post when I posted the above. Dont hold back on your evaluation of the IHR. If you cave in we may never get it fixed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bcraig,

Phil's a big fan of the 2.5x Leupold, having had one on his main .458 Winchester brown bear back-up rifle for decades. It's been used from at-your-feet ranges to several hundred yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
MD,

Appreciate that. No doubt that 3x is fine for hunting. My thoughts with regards to 1x was more about worst (or best depending on how you look at it... grin) case of following wounded animals. In that case, from my own experience I prefer in order- 1x red dots, 1x scopes with daylight usable reticles, irons.

Ct,

Very often military shooters, competitors, and hunters don't cross pollinate. That is they believe that they know best and therefor the others have little to offer them. The IHR appears to me what happens when target shooters try to design a hunting reticle. I will talk with them and see if a better design can't be offered. I know most "believe" that they want a plain duplex, however that would be wasted on a scope that is truly designed for dialing. Am thinking a very duplex looking reticle of proper thickness with low profile mil ticks for wind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BSA,

That's what I'm talking about.

2MG,

You are wrong on both scopes. Google can be your friend, but not in this case. The Trijicon 1-4x is an outgrowth of a military organizations, and competitive 3- gunners use of the 1.25-4x scope. They wanted the same scope but with 1x and finger adjustable and resettable turrets.

There have been at least three versions of the Shortdot, as well as FFP and SFP, and multiple reticles including "hunting" ones. It IS a hunting scope, just like most Leupold Varible Mark 4's are nothing but rebadged versions of their hunting scopes with different turrets and reticles, except that for the most part ShortDot's work....

Fost,

I am sure there are some here that have more experience with S&B's hunting scopes, as I only see a few used heavily a year, however they do seem to be good scopes and as good as they always have been. For their purpose I would not hesitate to use them and would test, and watch them just like every other scope.

No you are wrong on both scopes and I have no idea where you come up with half the $hit you say. I shoot with 2 guys from Trijicon. The Accupoint is their hunting line. Look at the reticles for gods sake.

The short dot is a CQB scope and comes with a CQB reticle.

How you could argue either point shows your ignorance......

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I was fresh out of the Army at the time of that pic and that's what I had for a pack! Have since greatly improved my pack selection, but I still use the ALICE for some short distance pack outs - it stays in the back of the pickup for hunting season and if it blows out or gets stolen I figure they did me a favor. grin

If they steal it, the first time they use it they'll know karma is real....

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

No you are wrong on both scopes and I have no idea where you come up with half the $hit you say. I shoot with 2 guys from Trijicon. The Accupoint is their hunting line. Look at the reticles for gods sake.

The short dot is a CQB scope and comes with a CQB reticle.

How you could argue either point shows your ignorance......

Wow... Keep googling.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Formid,

Forgot to mention I did use a Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x on the grizzly at about 65 yards--and the bright triangle would have worked fine with the scope on 1.25x if he'd charged.

Did shoot him again to make sure as he ran past me, angling somewhat closer, but that was a blind run as the first bullet had taken out both lungs. Didn't bother to turn the scope down off 4x, though.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Formid,

Forgot to mention I did use a Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x on the grizzly at about 65 yards--and the bright triangle would have worked fine with the scope on 1.25x if he'd charged.

Imagine that.

Keep inserting your foot further into your mouth Formid. You are clearly fighting a losing battle.......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Very often military shooters, competitors, and hunters don't cross pollinate. That is they believe that they know best and therefor the others have little to offer them. The IHR appears to me what happens when target shooters try to design a hunting reticle. I will talk with them and see if a better design can't be offered. I know most "believe" that they want a plain duplex, however that would be wasted on a scope that is truly designed for dialing. Am thinking a very duplex looking reticle of proper thickness with low profile mil ticks for wind.

Count me in! Maybe your feedback combined with John's (because John will shoot straight with them, right John?) will get the wheels turning.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks John,I thought I remembered that.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I hunt and target shoot. The NP-R1 is my favorite, followed by the MOAR-T.

However, would you ask them to please make 1 MOA hash marks on the windage axis of the NP-R1? They fixed the elevation from the NP-R2, but I never understood the reasoning for 2 MOA on windage on the -R1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
The short dot comes in 1 retcle and it is called CQB. You do the math.

2muchgun you are incorrect... The Gen 1 shortdot was offered with an FD7 reticle and the Gen II version which came from the Zenith Hunting line but badged the Zenith LE and listed as a PM II scope is available in FD2, FD7 and FD9 reticles and also has a 24mm objective...

Police Marksman II line:

9467 - 1.1-4x20 Short Dot (Gen I) w/ Flashdot#7 reticle (illum.)
946SDL - 1.1-4x20 Short Dot (Gen II) w/ Short Dot "CQB" reticle
946SD - 1.1-4x20 Short Dot (Gen I) w/ Short Dot "CQB" reticle

9762 - 1.1-4x24 Zenith Short Dot LE (Short Dot II) w/ Flashdot#2 reticle (illum.)
9767 - 1.1-4x24 Zenith Short Dot LE (Short Dot II) w/ Flashdot#7 reticle (illum.)
9769 - 1.1-4x24 Zenith Short Dot LE (Short Dot II) w/ Flashdot#9 reticle (illum.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John...

Which color triangle do you use... I seen somewhere in the thread that an amber was recommended but in my experience the amber would seem to wash out in light colored (IE: sand, yellow grass, sandstone etc.) backgrounds... I have only used the Green accupoint but had The Reflex sights in amber and they washed out terribly....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BSA what scope is on your 9.3x62?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (320090T, 1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 17 invisible), 1,071 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,144
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.