Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Personally, I never understood why the .32 Special hung on as long as it did. My Dad's best friend swore that his trusty M94 .32 was a waaaay better killer than any old .30-30, when we knew that there really isn't a lick of difference between the two in that respect. I guess we all have to create talismans to give us that "edge" in the deer woods!

Placebo effect? laugh

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BradD

One other thing I've heard and read about was that the 32WS had a bad reputation for accuracy after the barrel started to get rough because of a slower barrel twist. I have no practical experience there and would be happy to hear if that is truly the case. I'm about to give 32WS a whirl through a very good bore and I'm hoping to see decent results.

I've heard and read this before as well. I did read an article a few years back where this was debunked.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BillR
Epps in Ontario had a Savage 1899 in 32 special a couple of months ago. Original barrel obviously re-chambered by Savage! (Bubba Savage who owned a junkyard along Highway 11)
Marking was much bigger than original and a different font. Since it was an 1899 H I suspect a 303 or 30-30 (because even Bubba Savage wouldn't have done that to a 25-35 .... or Bert would still be screaming!)
BillR

Just to be precise and picky, if the original barrel was changed from .303 or .30/30 to .32 special, it was both rechambered and rebored.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed this article about the .32 Special.

http://www.levergun.com/articles/special.htm

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of the other selling points that Winchester initially advertised when they released the 32WS was that it would fill a niche in between the 30-40-220 and 30WCF and also be hand loaded with black powder as gnoahhh says. If you look back in the old catalogs the ballistic tables show a greater difference between 30WCF and 32WS but within a few years they were much closer to the same thing. It's kind of a Rodney Dangerfield/No Respect of calibers but they did sell a lot of guns chambered in it.

One other thing I've heard and read about was that the 32WS had a bad reputation for accuracy after the barrel started to get rough because of a slower barrel twist. I have no practical experience there and would be happy to hear if that is truly the case. I'm about to give 32WS a whirl through a very good bore and I'm hoping to see decent results.

that "bad reputation" stuff is in old Speer reloading manuals claiming you can't hit the side of a house when the 1-16" twist barrel goes bad. i never really understood that statement, what rifle does shoot well with a worn out or pitted/rusty barrel? I really like the 32 Win Spl much more so than the 30WCF. It's a cast bullet machine. 2250-2300 fps with perfect accuracy, that slow twist is so forgiving.

Last edited by 451whitworth; 01/06/15.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Henry McCann

Thank you. I enjoyed it as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started hunting with a model 94 32 Win special that my paternal grandfather gave me in 1976. My father shot his first buck with it in 1956 and then my father dislocated his shoulder in a football game and my grandfather swapped my dad his model 8 automatic for the 94 so he could hunt without working the action. They each were happy with the arrangement so they never swapped back.

Anyway, everything I ever shot with that 32 Win Spec died. My son uses that gun from time to time now and everything he has ever shot with it died.

If that means anything... grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henry McCann

The only thing I would say or add or think about is that the 1916 catalog that the author references was a full 15 years after the 32 Win Special was developed. I'm thinking that there wasn't anybody at Winchester thinking that black power was going to be making a comeback by then. That may not have been the case when they originally developed and marketed the gun and caliber in 1901.

Just something to think about.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
N
niel26 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Savage300 - Perhaps I didn't explain myself or make it clear enough for you. My question was basically why would someone take a rifle to a smith and have it re-chambered like this one has been? Was it lack of ammo availability? Ballistics? Wanted to try something? Or some other reason altogether? Just how common was it to re-chamber a 99 into a 32 Special? Have people on this forum seen loads and loads of these, or are they few and far between? I've seen 2 now in just the last year, so I really don't know. So there's the basis for my query. If you feel that is what constitutes a 'dumb post!' so be it.

Mad dog - Yes it is a crescent butt plate, 4 digit serial number. The number starts with either a 6 or a 9. The 1st digit has been rotated 90 degrees one way or the other so I really can't tell if it is a 6 or a 9. The digit lays horizontal to the rest of the digits. Is that significant in any way? Both the wood and the butt plate are stamped the same.

A couple other things to inquire about. It has a 20 inch barrel, but the front sight is not dovetailed. It has a band around the barrel that was barely soft soldered on. Under that there's a machined groove maybe 5/32" inch wide and 5/16" long that tapers towards the muzzle. Has me stumped. I'm guessing the sight is not original at all.

Several people on here use the term 'bubba d' to describe a weapon that has been modified either a little bit or a lot, and that certainly describes this one.

Have a good evening everybody.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the wood is stamped the same are the cheeks on the sides rounded or pointed?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 451whitworth
One of the other selling points that Winchester initially advertised when they released the 32WS was that it would fill a niche in between the 30-40-220 and 30WCF and also be hand loaded with black powder as gnoahhh says. If you look back in the old catalogs the ballistic tables show a greater difference between 30WCF and 32WS but within a few years they were much closer to the same thing. It's kind of a Rodney Dangerfield/No Respect of calibers but they did sell a lot of guns chambered in it.

that "bad reputation" stuff is in old Speer reloading manuals claiming you can't hit the side of a house when the 1-16" twist barrel goes bad. i never really understood that statement, what rifle does shoot well with a worn out or pitted/rusty barrel? I really like the 32 Win Spl much more so than the 30WCF. It's a cast bullet machine. 2250-2300 fps with perfect accuracy, that slow twist is so forgiving.

Well, I'm really looking forward to loading for mine. Something new and it should be interesting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The, "why" of why people do things is something that is really all over the map. For example, some people purchase a rifle in a certain cartridge simply because they ran into a set of reloading dies that were priced very favorably. There are endless similar examples. A gunsmith might have rechambered a .32/40 to a .32 spl. mainly because he happened to have to have the right chamber tool to do it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or a guy simply wanted something hotter than a .32-40. There was no shortage of .32-40 ammo and components way back when.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Or the rifle had been a .30/30 or .303 and the bore was shot out. I'm not a gunsmith but had the impression that the jump from .308 to .321 was not enough of a jump when it comes to a rebore?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
By the way, I remain curious if this rifle had been originally in .32/40. It's certainly a bigger deal with more involved to rebore from a smaller caliber than to just open a chamber up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
Or the rifle had been a .30/30 or .303 and the bore was shot out.

I'd say that was most likely the case. But who knows...

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin?! grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.419" dia. @ base 32 Spec.
.424" dia. @ base 32-40
.442" dia. @ base .303 Savage

I guess that's how many fairies could dance on the head of a pin ?? LOL Good one Gary !! BTW belated Happy Birthday.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
.419" dia. @ base 32 Spec.
.424" dia. @ base 32-40
.442" dia. @ base .303 Savage

I guess that's how many fairies could dance on the head of a pin ?? LOL Good one Gary !! BTW belated Happy Birthday.

So, probably won't get a lot of multiple loadings out of the .32 spl. brass. If the barrel were rebored and set back, the chamber dimension problem could be overcome.

I realize it's not possible but I would be very interested to know what year the rifle was reworked.

N
niel26 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Mad dog - If by 'cheeks' you mean those areas of the stock just adjacent to the tangs, they are rounded and smooth. I am going to guess this may have some bearing on the identification of the stock? ? ?

boltman - I understand your curiosity about what this thing was originally. I am too. But not enough (not yet anyway) to pursue it.

gnoahhh - Goodness only knows how long ago it was re-chambered. Here's a question then. Without searching around for 32-40 ammo available right now, when did it fall from being a round commonly available? Available like, pop into your local gun store or sporting goods joint and grab a box or two off the shelf?

Thanks all for chiming in with your thoughts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.