Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anybody else tired of the weather folks on the tube and their "wind chill" maps....u can't tell me the dammm wind is blowing the same all over a state OR that the wind is not different in the upper half vs lower half of said state OR that its blowing all the time !!!! hell! I could be on the down wind side of a big building in full sun and all comfy smile !!.... Besides, wind chill ONLY WORKS ON THINGS THAT ARE ALIVE!! A dry wooden chair placed outside is ONLY going down the ambient temp !! if your alive ...you are only going down to ambient temp!! < only fast - er cause of evaporation ! What a crock of chit ..the weather folks only want to run around like chicken little and justify their worthless lives chasing crap that aint !! There I feel better !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And let us not forget the people who must park their vehicles facing out of the wind.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All I can say is I climbed up the ski area this weekend (upper mountain not open due to lack of snow) intending to ski the upper nordic track. Mid-teens ambient w/ 30-40 mph winds. Definately a -10 wind chill. Fuggin cold SOB!!! Wind chill is real to this mortal.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've always it was just BS hyperbole. As I understand, it's an index of the combined effect of cold and wind on exposed skin that is not in the sunlight.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
And let us not forget the people who must park their vehicles facing out of the wind.
<<< shocked remove these people from the gene pool!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
anyone else read this thread and think, oh yeah, winter cabin fever? :-)

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have special feelings for the people who feel like they are entitled to park diagonally and take up two or three spots.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Besides, wind chill ONLY WORKS ON THINGS THAT ARE ALIVE!! A dry wooden chair placed outside is ONLY going down the ambient temp !!

Yous gots frostbite 'tween yer ears!!!

True that a wooden chair will only get to ambient air temp, but it will get there faster in a wind. Dat's why they put a fan on your car's radiator...

Wind chill has an effect on just about everything the wind reaches. The effect generally only has dire consequence for living tissue...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just don't go outside naked and one should be fine.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
unless one is really FINE.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
The effect generally only has dire consequence for living tissue...

This,...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to work powerline construction and that's a fact Jack. Cold coupled with wind can kill.

Tell the OP to STFU.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ask these folks:

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Did anyone notice that the OP did, in fact, make mention of the fact that he recognized the effect of wind chill on living things? He also made the very valid point that it is not a constant for a given area due to the fact that it is possible to be sheltered from the wind or in direct sunlight, both of which will have an effect.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP also claimed that wind chill had no effect on anything not living.

Anybody buys that gots solid bone from ear to ear...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Much ado about nothing.

The whole point of reporting wind chill is to raise awareness of the hypothermia danger. The point that staying out of or otherwise finding protection from the wind protects you from wind chill is THE point. You have to go out in the wind? Expect it to be this much worse. You and I might take that as a given, but others may need to be reminded. A lot of people won't get the point unless you assign a numbered scale.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Answer me this Einstein, Do you think that a thermometer is gonna read any colder in a 5 degrees temp with a fourty mile an hour wind than it will with no wind at all?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

...then I must be your father! welcome home son! no amount of tweaking will make wind chill more comprehensible. The language of �equivalent temperatures� creates a fundamental misconception about what wind chill really means. It doesn�t tell you how cold your skin will get; that�s determined by air temperature alone. Wind chill just tells you the rate at which your skin will reach the air temperature. If it were 35 degrees outside with a wind chill of 25, you might think you�re in danger of getting frostbite. But your skin can freeze only if the air temperature is below freezing. At a real temperature of 35 degrees, you�ll never get frostbite no matter how long you stand outside. And despite a popular misconception, a below-32 wind chill can�t freeze our pipes or car radiators by itself, either.

The recent fiddling with wind chill has only made the numbers less useful. The old system might have overstated the numbers when it said that 5 degrees could feel like minus 40. But after three decades of practice, we all got pretty good at translating from the outrageous numbers in the weather reports to our own experience. When the weather service recalibrated the system in 2001, we had to start all over and rebuild our frame of reference from scratch.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was on my snowgo at 3 below all weekend near Denali ..so much for cabin fever ...that word is for food stamp sour dough's from the lower 48..man up puzz's !!............... 50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian Cars won�t start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17..9 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9 Fahrenheit (-78.5 C)
Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can�t thaw the keg

-459.67 Fahrenheit (-273.15 C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying �cold, eh?�

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
The effect generally only has dire consequence for living tissue...

This,...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to work powerline construction and that's a fact Jack. Cold coupled with wind can kill.

Tell the OP to STFU.
I'll just get louder smile > stop watching mnsnbc and get out !! fact = http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=faq-winter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.