-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hill Country Rifles has been saying for the past few years that the QC and reliability of Leupold's scopes has diminished considerably.

And all they're basically doing is sighting them in and testing loads.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Leupold variable scopes are extremely prone to failure. Every organization that uses them in large numbers and collects data says the same thing.

Short range bench rest- Leupold's weak erectors well known

50cal benchrest- dominated by Nightforce, Leupolds problems well known

US Military- evey sniper course, branch marksmanship unit, and most snipers all say the same.

Rifles Only- 20- 30% failure rate of student issued Leupold Sniper Scopes in 5 day courses

Manufactures will keep building junk, if people keep buying.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to one poster here, who is is very well respected on my fronts, and not just optics, I was told that Leupold's QC really dropped off right around the mid 2000's. Seem to recall that that was around the time when one of the last Leupold family members retired which seemed to trigger the start of their QC drop off. My own feeling, and I also agree with the person I referred to, that was when Leupold really started to expand their product line (the Zombie should be a good indicator of their distancing from the fine company they used to be, and I believe that unless they really expanded their workforce, this is probably where QC started to fall off. It's sad that this is the case, as myself included along with many other posters here, was a dedicated Leupold scope owner and all my rifle wore them. Also, the poster here seemed to get the feeling that the company seem to really, really focus to much on large profits as their interactions seemed much more profit driven and there was much less talk about construction of their once notable reliable scope line. to me, when I thought about Leupold scopes, the first thoughts that came to mind were, ruggedness, light weight, very fog proof, good value and great CS, which fortunately is still solid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
dave 7mm,

Interesting observations from Frank/Lowlight

Of course, hunting and sniper school are different.

With leupold its pretty much always about the number of rounds fired.
Unless its one of the many other issues they are noted for.
900 to 1100 rounds has always been where every one i've ever owned, started to puke.
Then you can start talking about how great there service is and how quick you got it back.
Ive done pretty well with S&B and Nightforce in my 1000 yard BR game.
Last summer I built a 6mm Dasher on a 12 pound BR rifle and topped it off with a 10-60x52 March.This is my first March and im only at the 400 round mark right now.I like the scope alot but only shooting it, will tell the tale...
For big game hunting I only run FFP Euros.
I consider leupold ,way overpriced, very light duty scopes,that can serve you pretty well, as long as you dont use them very much.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Leupold's QC really dropped off right around the mid 2000's.

RD thats when the chi-com parts came onboard.

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You guys are something else. As the saying goes, somewhere in the middle likely lies the truth!

I've had good luck with Leupolds, but I've not put them through the punishment some on here claim they will fail under. For hunting purposes, they work well for me.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
And they will shoot one hole groups.

Until they fail again. And they will.

There are at least 4 different sets of videos on YouTube testing multiple scopes like the ones above. In every single case the Leupolds and Vortex's have problems. In every case the Nightforce's work correctly. Every mechanical object can and will fail. I saw a briefing in the not to distant past with the recorded failure rates of every then current US military issued sniper optic. Two things stood out-

1) Everything we were seeing in the field was correct.

2) Nightforce NXS's are the most reliable, durable scopes ever fielded.

Leupold variable scopes are extremely prone to failure. Every organization that uses them in large numbers and collects data says the same thing.

Short range bench rest- Leupold's weak erectors well known

50cal benchrest- dominated by Nightforce, Leupolds problems well known

US Military- evey sniper course, branch marksmanship unit, and most snipers all say the same.

Rifles Only- 20- 30% failure rate of student issued Leupold Sniper Scopes in 5 day courses

A little history.....

Every Military scope for the last 5-6 years have had a Horus Reticle as a requirement. There are multiple reasons for this, not the least of which that when the SPR and M110 came online with their variable Mark 4's, there were so many failures that it became common to not only hold instead of dialing but being taught holds instead of dialing. Holding for all shots with regular mil reticles sucks. However, most did not have access to other scopes and did not realize that there were scopes that worked perfectly. Along comes Horus. It was an easy sell, nobody wanted to touch their turrets and it made holding more accurate. The biggest benefit that was being pushed is not having to dial, because "we all know that sometimes scopes don't work"... BOOM every scope from then on out has had, and will have a Horus reticle as a requirement.

They only two groups in the conventional and white special operations forces that didn't jump on the Horus bandwagon immediately was Navel Special Warfare and the Marine Corps. This was because they either didn't use Leupolds or had switched almost every optic over to another brand and were not seeing failures.

No currently issued Leupold has won a full and open competition against their peers. Most sniper weapon system contracts are for the system. I.e.- the manufacturer can use whatever scope they want as long as it meets specs. The scopes are not tested separately for function. Leupold, like a certain manufacturer of semi auto sniper rifles, has DEEP ties with manufacturers, and therefore gets it's optics on most systems that are submitted. Just because a piece of equipment is issued doesn't mean that it was the best or even competed against others. The 1.1-8x Mark 8, the 3-18x ECOS and the 6.5-20x 34mm tube Mark 4 Leupold are all examples of this.

Don't confuse what some are using as necessarily what is best, especially the vast majority in the military. Most have no choice or don't know better, and even those who do have to use all of the issued equipment to remain current. I use plenty of Leupolds, S&B's, Nightforce's and one or two others, because they are issued optics.

Manufactures will keep building junk, if people keep buying.

For the record I think there is a whole lotta bullschit in your post. laugh

Dark side SOF drove the Horus requirement because of real world gunfight techniques. The fact you don't understand why that is speaks volumes. cool

Real world gunfighting and hunting are 2 very different applications.

Originally Posted by Tanner
ehg don't know as much as he thinks he knows? That's some Grade-A humor right there...
Tanner

Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Actually if March were using the French, NATO, old Army 6400 division in a circle then the reticle would have moved less than indicated. It was moving further than indicated.

In other words the clicks were bigger than a real Trigonometric 0.1 Mil so the March Mil would be fewer division in the circle, or less than 6283. The Russkis used a 6000 division Mil.

You are correct and I guess I shoulda watched the video before making my comment... I took for granted it would be the same bitching and complaining of how the March does not track in true Mils etc... I stand corrected and my statement should be a general statement of the current March scope product line and not directed towards the video... I only watched the first video and then posted the others as I am working off my phone with sub par service... Ive been able to watch the Vortex, March and half of the Leupy video and am not at all surprised of the results...

Umm OK.

When someone posts a completely wrong post that offers advise that actually makes the problem worse I figure that fella fits in the "don't know what he don't know" category.

For the record I started out pretty light handed.

On a side note I reckon EHG is way above average and for that reason I actually spend the time to really read what he has to post. That is why I am the only one here that actually understood what he posted and why it was factually wrong.

Respect is not just blindly agreeing with someone just because they have a pretty impressive DD214. cool

Blind agreement... More Grade-A humor. What ehg did or didn't accomplish in the Armed Forces is none of my business.... But I've seen his hunting success. Think it'll suffice to say that you don't have a clue about what he does on a regular basis.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tanner likes tater tots too.....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The SO I shot with shot at 300 yds. just to warm up for their annual qualifications. They use the 800 yd. tactical range to qualify. These are rural cops, not big city sorts. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
You guys are something else. As the saying goes, somewhere in the middle likely lies the truth!
I've had good luck with Leupolds, but I've not put them through the punishment some on here claim they will fail under. For hunting purposes, they work well for me.

I can understand leupolds philosophy of wanting to supply chi-com wally world shoppers a bubble wrap scope that they can stick on top of there slidemasters and shoot one box of shells for the next 30 years and build it to the much lower quality standard to save money.
I get it.
But why in the world would a company apply that same philosophy to a competition scope or god forbid something that ends up on the battlefield.

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The SO I shot with shot at 300 yds. just to warm up for their annual qualifications. They use the 800 yd. tactical range to qualify. These are rural cops, not big city sorts. E

Shared my home range with local SWAT snipers last summer.
100 yards was the qualifying yardage.
But they did play around shooting through windows and windshields.They also did some timed events.
Was kinda interesting to watch.
They shot Blazers in 308 with 5.5-22x56 NF scopes.
Good bunch of guys.
I had one of them try out my Dasher at 500.The guy got a kick out of the 2 oz. trigger.... and the 1 inch group at 500 yards.

E.
What happened to your name anyway?

dave

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ah, yes. The famous 20-30% "failure rate" rants. Posted by guys that think that all Leupold scopes are made the same. Nightforce and S&B don't make far cheaper hunting scopes. Scopes that can cheaply converted to quasi tactical scopes. Leupold even makes lines of cheap tactical scopes as well as top quality ones. They also have no idea which scopes are new and which have histories of high use. Funny those of us that shoot and have hunted alot don't see anything like these failure rates.
Leupold's quality dropped off after 2000 ? So, they now make lower quality scopes so they can maintain a large repair department because that is cheaper ? Sure they do.
Nice try Dave. E

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Couldn't log in some time back. So I logged in with a different name. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually E.
I figure my 900 to 1100 round count number is a bit high.
I tend not to want to believe my loopies would quit like that so I push on hoping im wrong.
The number is more like 700 to 900 before the flippie erector bites the dust.
I just didnt want to believe it.
Sad actually.

dave

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That's pretty funny Dave. I haven't had that happen. Neither have any of the guys I shoot with unless they shoot really hard kicking rifles. When that happens, they can't seem to find anything that lasts longer. Unless it's a Leupold fixed magnification scope. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man everybody sucks Im so confused. Im a Leupold fan but I think that Burns and Murgia both come off as pompous a holes.

So where does that leave me? I am not a Sniper I don't shoot tacticool matches. Longest hunting kill was a Whitetail at 438 yards. Longest shot on target was 735.

I get by with a 6x I don't like variable's. But I can say that I have put well over a 1000 rounds each on two different 3-9 Varix 1s and they are still working.

My 6x42 on my 7mm Mag has been on there approaching 1500 rounds and I bought it used. The 6x42 on my .223 has been on two different rifles totaling over 5000 rounds.

My old 6x36 M8 has been thru 800 round on my .50 cal muzzleloader and I really have no idea how many on different rifles that I have bought and sold. Its kinda my floater scope.

Never had any issues with any of them. So in my experience they Leupolds hold up well past the 1000 round mark.

About forgot I have a old m8 4x also that I have had for 20 years. Dont have a clue how many rounds it has presided over but its several. Even once killed a doe at 350 yards with it. Must of been lucky.

Leupold may not be the best Sniper or Tacticool scope out there but they are a pretty damn good scope for the money.

And Old Formidilosus even though he ain't a Leupold fan speaks like he knows what he is talking about. So I do listen to what he says.

Like I said Im confused....

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner

Think it'll suffice to say that you don't have a clue about what he does on a regular basis.
Tanner

Well you would be 100% wrong. Pretty sure if he wanted that to be a topic of discussion he would have gone there. Hint.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree 7mmMato. These constant Leupy failure threads are almost laughable. Do some fail, of course they do. They all do.

Having used lots of Leupy variables over the past 42 years hunting big game (zero failures) and having over 100 hunters show up in our hunting camps toting rifles topped with Leupy variable with zero failures, it makes me wonder if there are that many people who do not know how to properly mount a scope, know anything about parallax, etc. Leupold cannot possibly put out as much junk as dave's ridiculous regurgitated BS shows.

Do Leupy's fail, of course some of them do. Some of every brand fails. The 24HCF optics discussions often times have me shaking my head.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
JG, One thing is for sure, the more rounds down range, the more likely you are to see a failure. Realize that we arent all idiots, we know how to mount a scope, and we know about parallax. We have learned from our own personal experience. What is laughable is that some try to tell us it didnt happen! Hell, I was there!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me exactly how you discovered a failure por favor

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (222Sako, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,386
Posts18,506,786
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.