-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ctsmith... What would be your ideal reticle to replace the IHR...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes you are... All that I listed was available at one time, and can still be purchased online if one really wants one...

How about them Lions...

Example... http://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-pm-11-4x24-sd-le-flash-dot-7-lt-ccw.aspx#

Last edited by elkhuntinguide; 01/04/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
ctsmith... What would be your ideal reticle to replace the IHR...

Something that can be seen would be a nice start. Simply replace the hollow section with the 1.5 MOA thick solid section, or reducing it to .75 MOA would work. Make the center crosshairs .25 MOA vs .18 MOA.

The below pictures are in full sun. If anyone took this reticle to the woods at sunset (without illumination, i.e. the new 42mm SHV) they would realize immediately that it is totally inadequate.

THIS

[Linked Image]

NOT THIS

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is what generally happens when non-hunters design "hunting" reticles.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
elkhuntingguide,

I've used all the triangle colors in various AccuPoints, and don't really have a preference, since they've all worked fine for me.

I suspect the differences in what others have reported are due to varying degrees of color blindness and color perception. Men have about an 8% rate (in women it's less than 1%) of some sort of color blindness, which I apparently don't have.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Vortex is the first place I look for glass....currently using

2-3 PST's...couple HS-T's along with a couple HS-LR's....

Razor bins.....never a moments problem....

If you don't mind... Could you share some details. I.e.- rifles, mounts, round counts, zeroing procedures, testing, frequency of zero conformation, what kind of use (abuse) do they see and do you check zero after drops, car rides, Etc.

Originally Posted by Enrique
I am actually pretty happy with my Vortex. I have had a couple set of Bino's, the Vultures and the Kaibab series. Both have nice glass. I had the Vultures fail me but I sent them back and got em fixed. No issues since.
The scopes, we went cheap and got a few of those Crossfire scopes Doug had on sale a few years ago. The 6-24 I think it is, is mounted on my best friends 7mag. 7 deer later and longest shot being over 600 yards, we aren't complaining too much lol. I mounted one of the 4-16s on my 25-06 and after zeroing it in, I noticed a spec of dust inside on the lense. The scope functions nice but that spec bothers me so it has to go back.
because I like how these low end Vortex have worked out, love the warranty concept, and feel their customer service is outstanding with the couple calls I have made and numerous emails, and have had minimal issues, I am looking to get a Viper HS for my 300 mag. I am hoping they have made improvements on the Viper scopes. Reading online on forums like this one, I have read numerous people complaining about the Viper and Viper PST. Some send em back and get them fixed and sell em and others have remounted and been happy.

Kique

Genuine question,

Why after a 50% return for service rate, would you want to spend more money on them? Granted, the speck on the glass may or may not be a real issue, but I'd bet money that there's more than that going on.

No one, and I mean- no one, would be ok with a rifle make/model that didn't fire 20-30% of the time straight from the factory. No one would be ok with about any other product that had as many reviews of problems, as they are with Vortex.

Because the Bino's were fixed and have worked flawlessly since, the spec in the lense hasn't affected its tracking that I know of. I get bothered looking at it, thats why its going back. If it didn't bother me, I wouldn't send it back since the scope works well.
I like the glass, I think they are clear and have worked well for me. If they sent em back and they didn't work or failed again, I wouldn't spend more money on them. But since they work well that's why I keep using em and spending money.
What has really changed my mind on buying based on reviews is the fact that my family for many years and I am sure many of you guys had bought various items without reviews. We talked to people that had em and went by that. it wasn't until the internet that we started reading reviews and getting sensitive to others thoughts. How we survived buying items without reviews is besides me. No wonder Tasco, Bushnell and others that are low end are still in business. In this case, I am happy with the optics Vortex puts out and I can deal with issues as long as they are not a trend and as long as they get fixed. Warranty is big to me because I tend to break stuff putting em thru the test.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Enrique,

I appreciate the response. I can understand what you wrote and why you feel that way, however for the same money there are optics that are significantly more reliable from companies that while having great warranties, very rarely need it. A company that sells itself on how great a warranty is has and where most users have had to use it, is not putting out a good product and they will continue putting out products that fail because people keep buying them.

I truly hope that those work for you and you get a lifetime of service out if them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife became quality control where she works. She used a phrase, We make products that don't come back for customers who do.

That should be any company's moto.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"We make products that don't come back for customers who do."

Excellent motto! Too bad it's hard to find many companies following this.

In the last year I've purchased a couple Vortex Viper PST's, one for my brother and one for myself as I wanted to get mid ranged scopes that could be used for longer range target shooting without breaking the bank and didn't need bombproof construction. Haven't had any problems with either yet but haven't really used them a whole lot yet either or put them to the test. Will have to run them through the paces, but hey that's a excuse to do more shooting:) At least they have a good warranty. I'm disappointed to hear of the potential problems, but not too surprised. A lot of folks have used them and been happy with them too, so hoping for the best.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Q
Q
I think some are giving Vortex short shrift. I am one of the guys mentioned in an earlier post by FredWillis. Our scopes get a lot of ammo under them in a year and are transported in soft cases many miles each year. That includes time banging around on farm track and across pastures. Are the Vipers the perfect scope? Hell no. Have I found anything else in the $300. range that is better. Again, hell no.

The particular scope in the Viper line that is noted for problems is The 4-16 PST FFP. The reports of failure normally include a description of a heavy recoiling rifle with a brake. The effects of such a rig on a scope have already been noted.

Formid... has offered what he believes are better alternatives. If compared feature for feature they are also significantly more expensive alternatives. SWFA also has a great warranty, are terrific to deal with, offer some terrific values on their SS line of scopes and I own several of them.

The difference is that Vortex offers scopes, spotters and binoculars in a broad range of price. The customer who buys a Diamondback gets treated in the same manner as the guy that buys the Razor. Not all of us are prepared to spend $1500-$3500. for every optic we buy. Vortex deserves serious consideration.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RDFinn
That is what generally happens when non-hunters design "hunting" reticles.

Yup.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got around to putting the PST back on the 300 mag that broke it the first time. Here are some observations:

Vortex gave very detailed packing instructs for the return of the scope but it came back just thrown in a box with NO packing and the turrets had knocked holes in the factory box. Very disappointing.

When I mounted it today I noticed that they returned it with either a dead battery or a malfunctioning switch for the reticle. Also disappointing. I will have to shoot the rifle to see how it is tracking and if it can hold a zero.

I get the impression that they (Vortex) are slipping a little in the customer service dept which was their biggest asset!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This thread made me $$$, I sold my HS Tactical 5-15x44! Preemptive maintenance...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (320090T, 1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 17 invisible), 1,071 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,144
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.