Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Tell me exactly how you discovered a failure por favor

I think he shot at a tree. laugh

And Missed.

Could be wrong but WTF it makes me smile. grin

Side note: You and I are Pompous A-Holes. Like that is really "News"

Extra Side Note. You really are a Pompous A-Hole. Me , I am just a wall flower that is misunderstood by a few. laugh

Extra Extra Side Note. While I am not exactly a shotgun aficionado that picture of the trophy with Andy Duffy's name and yours is pretty F'n cool.

Well done and good shootin, that did not come easy, Rick. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Having used lots of Leupy variables over the past 42 years hunting big game (zero failures) and having over 100 hunters show up in our hunting camps toting rifles topped with Leupy variable with zero failures, it makes me wonder if there are that many people who do not know how to properly mount a scope, know anything about parallax, etc. Leupold cannot possibly put out as much junk as dave's ridiculous regurgitated BS shows.

Johnny, would that statement extend to Hill Country Rifles too? Or would you agree that HCR must have an idea on properly mounting scopes, etc.?

HCR from what I can ascertain has no agenda. They've simply been reporting their vast experience with Leupold QC and failure rates over several years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So is it safe to assume that Mr. Burns knows EHG personally? And that he knows him better than most. And that by him (burns) saying that Mr EHG is full of chit, that he speaks from experience? I've seen several of EHG's posts in which many fine animals were taken....he seems to know his stuff....

I found the videos interesting. Mostly in that it showed a pretty good representation of how to set up a tracking device to test your scope. I also found it interesting that some of these scopes were repeatedly off by a small margin.
Now being how these scopes were "cherry picked" or not remains to be seen. The fact is that if these scopes that were in the videos were off on tracking on the bench, what would it be like in the field? Now depending upon what rifle a guy is using, being off a few clicks may not matter, but using a heavier round would definitely have adverse affects....ie....a 264 win mag vs a 30-06....wouldn't it?
I'm sure all scopes have a point in their lifetime that fail. It is that stance of some here that Leupold products fail more than others, and it also safe to say that some Rick and John have not experienced these failures as often, or at all....
any scope is only as good as the guy behind them. I'm no long range guru by any means, and I don't claim to be one either, I prefer to bow hunt.....but that is a personal choice...have I taken animals with a rifle, yes....from no distance anywhere near what Rick shot that coyote at...that's a heck of a shot on that one Rick....good job.

What size of target do you guys practice on?
So I guess I need to ask is how should I practice at these long distances to become more proficient? With MOA sized targets? I'm looking to get better at shooting further. I mean I can hit the silhouettes at the Whittington Center, and have shot the white Buffalo, but that thing is like the size of a UPS van...I didn't find that much of a gauge of my skills... lol

Thanks in advance for any help or info....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't tell you how many Leups have failed me alone. But I can tell you its WAY more than is acceptable TO ME, without quantification.

Wow! With numbers like that no one could offer up an argument. I hope one keeps better track of their finances.

So, does that mean something like 7 failures, 200, or 3,157?

Last edited by 1minute; 01/07/15.

1Minute
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
RC, My experience has mainly been with the 3.5-10x40 VX (Vari X) III with M1's or target turret, which was my go to setup for years. I am not and have never claimed to be a "long range" hunter. These scopes were to get me to 400 yards comfortably. I have a 400 yard range with the 400 line literally 10 yards from my back door. Safe to say I'm comfortable at 400 yards. I would estimate conservatively that the number of Leup scopes would be 20. Of the 20, at least 10 have failed. Failures include shifts of zero, and I'm not only talking about little shifts either, but mostly big swings. Tracking was individual to each scope. Click values were not what they should be and returning to zero after big swings was a crap shoot (big swings were mostly during testing but I occasionally get to go long).

I'm not a fan of heavy rifles but I do have one and consider it my tester. Its a 308 with a bunch of rounds down the tube but still holding them tight. When a scope is in doubt the rig tells the tale, and its ratted out several.

Here's a sample of six 5 shot groups.

[Linked Image]

1minute,

Regarding finances, I appreciate your concern. I am a current licensed CPA. I've got it under control.

Remember, you are the one with the argument, not me. I have never claimed anyone's account to be false. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have only followed the reports of others, with discretion, and vaguely reported my experience if anyone is interested. I have made my own conclusion based mainly on my own personal experience, confirmed by others' experience who I consider reliable sources.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is 10 rounds from my most current rig, which weighs in at less than 8 lbs including rings and scope! Point being, shooting is NOT a priority of mine and not really even a hobby anymore, though I do my share of it. I am not an expert. But I am not an idiot!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300MAG
John,

Still waiting on my rifle.....................

Zinger.

Hope you get it soon.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle ctsmith......even better shooting...
Hardly anyone anymore posts pics of 10 shot groups....
I'm interested when you want to sell it,
What are the specs?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks John.

I think. smile

Unless you're just being a pompous a-hole wink Ha!

Nothing worth having comes easy and it's obvious you know that. On being branded as pompous a-holes, I think that feelings get hurt when blatant evidence is shown by either you or I that is contrary to what the owner of those feelings wants to believe. The evidence acts like a Ronco inside-the-egg egg scrambler in the brainial region of the feeling-holder causing dissonance.

I would have said "cognitive" dissonance, but there's not a lot of cognition happening around here. laugh laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Tanner

Think it'll suffice to say that you don't have a clue about what he does on a regular basis.
Tanner

Well you would be 100% wrong. Pretty sure if he wanted that to be a topic of discussion he would have gone there. Hint.

There's always the possibility that he didn't want it to be a topic of discussion. Hard to fathom, eh?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
JG, One thing is for sure, the more rounds down range, the more likely you are to see a failure. Realize that we arent all idiots, we know how to mount a scope, and we know about parallax. We have learned from our own personal experience. What is laughable is that some try to tell us it didnt happen! Hell, I was there!

I never said you were an idiot, ever. What I did say is that there are an awful lot of guys, including gunsmiths (via reliable info from our own MD's books) that do not know how to properly mount a scope. I've seen it myself on a smaller scale. There are even more of the every day hunters that don't know what parallax is, and have never even heard of it, but like to blame the scope first. We've had several instances in camp that verify this as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The fire has a strong legacy of shockingly ignorant PR by business owners. John Burns, Marc Taylor, Whambasted...
Say what you want about Stick, at least he has the sense to separate his income source from internet pontificating.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Having used lots of Leupy variables over the past 42 years hunting big game (zero failures) and having over 100 hunters show up in our hunting camps toting rifles topped with Leupy variable with zero failures, it makes me wonder if there are that many people who do not know how to properly mount a scope, know anything about parallax, etc. Leupold cannot possibly put out as much junk as dave's ridiculous regurgitated BS shows.

Johnny, would that statement extend to Hill Country Rifles too? Or would you agree that HCR must have an idea on properly mounting scopes, etc.?

HCR from what I can ascertain has no agenda. They've simply been reporting their vast experience with Leupold QC and failure rates over several years.

Hey Fost. No, HCR knows the program, 100%, and I believe you and their results as well. Notice I said earlier that I have no doubt there are a certain amount of Leupy failures. By contrast, when they lapped rings and mounted up my Leupy scope on my HCR 7mag, tracking and performance was perfect because I asked them. They said the .5" group was "easy" to obtain.

It's like anything else....if I told you personally that HCR rifles sucked because I have had multiple failures with their rifles, while at the same time you have had multiple successes with your HCR rifles, You'd likely have a hard time understanding or believing that HCR rifles suck, and I wouldn't blame you.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm posting this with no claim of being a expert of anything.

When I was looking for a quality knob turner scope I asked a gunsmith that I respect & does a lot of tactical rifles for his opinion, his reply; "I don't recommend any scope anymore, they all have problems!" I said,"Come on? Even S&B and Nightforce?" His response, "I've even had them come back with issues." So I redirected my questions as,"So what are on your personal rifles?" His response, "Forget it, I no longer recommend any scopes to friends and/or customers. They all have issues these days."

Of course the conversation went from there to; what kind of issues & why? He shared a lot of information with me which I will not go into here.

My recommendation is buy with in your budget and expected to have issues or get lucky and find one that does not. Truely it is a crap shoot, in my opinion.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[quote=FOsteology][quote=JGRaider]
It's like anything else....if I told you personally that HCR rifles sucked because I have had multiple failures with their rifles, while at the same time you have had multiple successes with your HCR rifles, You'd likely have a hard time understanding or believing that HCR rifles suck, and I wouldn't blame you.

I wouldn't. If I had good luck with them, but you and three or four others could demonstrate that there were significant problems, I would rightly figure their QC was off, and would not take the risk. Why should I? To do so, is the definition of burying your head in the sand.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

What I did say is that there are an awful lot of guys, including gunsmiths (via reliable info from our own MD's books) that do not know how to properly mount a scope. I've seen it myself on a smaller scale. There are even more of the every day hunters that don't know what parallax is, and have never even heard of it, but like to blame the scope first. We've had several instances in camp that verify this as well.

Agree 100%.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I wouldn't. If I had good luck with them, but you and three or four others could demonstrate that there were significant problems, I would rightly figure their QC was off, and would not take the risk. Why should I? To do so, is the definition of burying your head in the sand.

Ask my good friend John (Hondo) how that philosophy turned out for him with his Zeiss a few weeks ago. And the great part about it was that I happened to be with him in Texas to witness it (actually was spotting for him when it happened). Classic! eek

Eating_Crow_via_Zeiss_HD5

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

A sample of 100 different Leupy variables perfoming as intended is hardly "burying my head in the sand". The vast, vast majority of these same hunters show up with Swaro binocs. Maybe this proves to the 24HCF experts they aren't dumbazzzes after all?

Leupy QC may be off, I don't personally know (time will tell though).

I love the Meopta stuff I've fiddled with....a lot.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/08/15.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ctsmith....that would indeed pisss me off. This is exactly why, in my hardheadedness, I'm currently sworn off of SwaroA/Z3 scopes. Not to be boring redundant but I had one come apart while actually trying to kill a 190" mule deer buck. Shot the poor thing to pieces. In fact, this is what made me go back to VX3's and VX6's, at least for a while. Swaro CS is stellar though (which is a terrible quality to mention according to many here) in that they had it back to me, new erector assembly included, within 3 weeks. I sold it promptly.

My hunting buddy Big Al had a Zeiss 85T spotter go titsup (focus wheel broke) rendering it useless. It took them over 6 months to get it fixed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Some really funny stuff there on that thread. Especially the part about dropping rifles on their scopes and the expectation that they should retain their zero.

fuggen amazin'

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,347
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.