Hop To
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Looking for informed advice.

I am looking at a used Trapdoor Springfield which I belive was manufactured in 1882 in 45 70. Rifle was converted to a carbine version with stock forearm shortened and
barrel shortened. Work is well done, and rifle appears reblued.

Dont think it has any collector value being drastically altered.

I would buy to hunt with.

Question are:

-Price is $450, is this reasonable?

-Can I shoot it with smokeless or only black powder loads

-If I can use smokeless loads, can I use jacketed bullets or only cast bullets?

Last edited by cv540; 01/07/15.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The price might not be to bad, when you think about the cost of other guns these days, and it is a piece of history.

I am by no means an authority on these guns but I would not use jacketed bullets that often. Softer lead would be easier on that old metal IMO.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Assuming that it is in good condition you can shoot it with smokeless or black powder. Making sure you use only the "trapdoor" loads like you find on the Hogdon reloading site on in a reloading manual that specifies that the loads are for Trapdoor. The Lyman reloading manual refers to the 45-70 Government loads for the Springfields as "1873 Springfield" and it is important to make sure that your loads come from that data and not for more modern chambers. If you use the 45-70 loads for Marlins, 1885Wins or the Ruger No.1s, your gun will probable blow up in your face.
No reason you couldn't shoot a jacketed bullet from it but, not sure why you would want to given the velocity range you will be in. I'n my opinion it is better to shoot a slow heavy lead bullet rather than a copper jacketed bullet hoping for expansion.
Price is all relative to how much your "want it" factor is if you recognize that there is not any collector value. That said, your buying it to shoot it and hunt, will you have to baby it or, can you safely practice and hunt with it? I'd say that is up to you. You can find Marlin 45-70 Lever actions for about the same price and you can stoke them up with all kinds of loads. So the price is in the realm of philosophy regarding its value. I have one that is in original condition I inherited from my Dad. He shot it only with black powder. They are fun to shoot and can be very accurate if everything is on good condition. Are you certain it was made in the 1800s or could it be a replica considering it looks reblued.

Last edited by Armymark; 01/08/15.

Anchorage, Alaska
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
OK, thanks for replying.

I was aware there were different type (and pressure) 45-70 smokeless loads, for older rifles and modern one, and differences between loads for the lever action, and say a Ruger #1, and should have said so.

Rifle does not look like a replica, as it does have the original markings. I do have an original 1873 version that is has not been modified, but condition is only so so.

Will give it some thought, and look up ammo onllne, so thanks again.

Any other thoughts from other readers would be appreciated.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That price is in the ballpark for a cut down trapdoor Springfield. You might find one for a bit less if you look, but if you like the gun it is a reasonable price.

The 300 gr. JHP and 405 gr. JSP ammunition from Winchester, Remington and Federal is safe to use in a trapdoor Springfield in good condition. I personally would be looking for the Remington 405 gr. stuff if it was me.

Some manuals and articles over the years have stated that jacketed bullets are hard on the bore of a trapdoor Springfield because of the soft steel used, but I've never actually seen or heard of a trapdoor that had its bore ruined by jacketed bullets. The small number that a hunter would use for sighting in and in the field would never be a problem.

Various companies produce lead bullet "cowboy" loads in .45/70 and they would be fine for use as well.

Obviously you need to avoid using any high pressure ammunition such as Garrett or other ammo designed for use in a stronger action. You don't want your breechblock imbedded in your cranium.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
When I shot mine, i loaded with 34 grains of 3031, with cast bullets of 405 gr.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 71 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,409
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.