Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
You guys are something else. As the saying goes, somewhere in the middle likely lies the truth!
I've had good luck with Leupolds, but I've not put them through the punishment some on here claim they will fail under. For hunting purposes, they work well for me.

I can understand leupolds philosophy of wanting to supply chi-com wally world shoppers a bubble wrap scope that they can stick on top of there slidemasters and shoot one box of shells for the next 30 years and build it to the much lower quality standard to save money.
I get it.
But why in the world would a company apply that same philosophy to a competition scope or god forbid something that ends up on the battlefield.

dave

I've never used their tactical scopes so I have no idea behind their reasoning or even if they are a faulty as others say. So I guess I can't answer or agree/disagree with your statement.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pretty articulate. For an ape.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sweet rig there ct. Nice shootin' too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From Terry Cross on Snipers Hide:

I apologize in advance but I have to rant for a second.

I have always been a huge, huge Leupold advocate. They were always my benchmark for quality, innovation and U.S. workmanship. I own an awful lot of their product and continue to use it regularly.

However. . . . In the last few years, I have seen a change in the way Leupold does business and delivers product to the market. As they have grown, they have embraced many less than admirable traits that seem to define too many parts of American businesses. While their pricing has been steadily increasing at a faster rate than inflation, their quality has dropped. They are still capable of producing a sharp, repeatable optic but not as dependably.

My biggest aggravation with Leupold is the fact that less than 5% of their product line that can be legally stamped "Made in U.S.A." and I'm not even sure that those few are !!! What started out with a few of their Wind River imports has blown into an all out effort to prostitute their name brand for a dollar.

I just received 18 RX-4 range finders, 18 Tactical 10x50 Patrol Binoculars and 18 Mk 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm TMR Illum. scopes for a package deal I have to ship. This is pretty much suppossed to be their better gear. Guess what? Range finders "Made In CHINA". Binoculars "Made In China". Scopes have no country of origin marked on the packaging, instructions or product. Call back from Leupold informs me that the scopes are assembled in Oregon but so many of the parts and sub-assemblies are made over-seas (mostly China except for some of their lenses)that they do not qualify for the Made in USA stamp!

I can assure you that sourcing their components and products from China has dropped their costs very, very dramatically while they have continued to raise market prices. You know, honestly, it isn't even the price/profit thing that burns me. It is the fact that they chose to move their sourcing and manufacturing (I do consider "manufacturing" and "assembly" two different beasts in this instance) out of the country and specifically China. Why couldn't they keep most of their production here and just up their pricing 10%? Jesus, I could drop my selling price and triple my profit on freakin Pod-Loc kits if I used components from outside the U.S., but I refuse to go there. Guess that is why I still drive a 10 year old truck.

While they may still have satisfactory product performance and at least attempt innovative ideas occaisionally, I believe that they are straying from their roots, pumping a ton of money into foreign factories and putting yet another hole in the bottom of the lifeboat that retains at least a small fraction of our ability to domestically support our police and military logistics in the event of any serious conflict. I remain firmly convinced that we shall sorely curse the day that we wake up and realize that we need to raise our military to a task only to find out we have cut off our own legs. I aim this statement not only at Leupold but other textile, steel, electronics and molding industries based in the U.S. You don't just start that [bleep] back up inside the U.S. borders overnight.

I will continue to use my original Leupold products but I shall migrate away from giving their company blanket support. I will, instead continue to give more and more support to companies that take risks, accept slightly lower margins and consciously make the effort to strengthen our own economy and workforce. As you purchase your gear or spec out the equipment for your agency bids, please consider more than F.O.V. and click value.

I would seriously love to debate the execs at Leupold in front of their Board about some of this.

DISCLAIMER: I know that some out there will have personal budgets at home that restrict your choices to imports and I totally respect that. A non-US product is better than no product at all in some cases.

DISCLAIMER #2: Yeah, that was more than a second. Sorry.
TC

Answer from Lowlight on Snipers Hide.

Amen,

Every year they seem to get farther and farther away from what made them the company worthy of the reputation they have, which I personally feel is no longer warranted.

The shear number of them we see problems with is staggering, on military weapons systems no less. They seem to be completely out of touch with the shooter, all shooters, Civilian, Law Enforcement, and Military.

Unfortunately people still flock to their products based on the past reputation, regardless of the fact their current products don't hold up to that standard.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
When indisputable fact is posted also, it does seem to put the "Kaibosh" on a thread that a bunch of Keyboard Experts have posted on!

LO [bleep] L!

Your test ignores the ability to hold zero with use and abuse, which is my #1 concern. Mount to a rifle, zero, then bang around. I've a test that makes a Leup zero shift every time. Lay in the back of a truck (on a rubber mat) and bounce around off road (don't pussyfoot around). See if the Leup holds zero. Do the same with the NF. Report back.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Your test ignores the ability to hold zero with use - Report back.

This is where Leupold gave away the farm.
Leupold has directed the chi-coms to build there erector assemblies to a very minimum standard.Leupolds calculation
is that most of there scopes won't get used that much.And thats the market they build for.
Oh they look pretty good out of the box.You can screw it down on a jig and just impress the crap out of yourself.But built to the low quality standard they are, they typically fail when pushed to anything near professional use.Then everyone can yak on about what wonderful service they have.Pretty much like free advertising.
With the historically high failure rate and glass that can best be described at second or even third tier at best.
I dont understand the attraction.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I'm scarred from the episode surrounding my first truck bed discovery. Daylight was fading and I was big man on campus, showing some kids how to twist a turret. We were set up to shoot over a field but got uncomfortable with the situation due to hunters in the area. As light was fading we hurried down farm roads to another location, my highly touted Rock laying in the back of the truck. I'd usually be more careful with it but got in a hurry. First shot is nowhere on the radar, neither was the second. Hurriedly stepped off 100 yards and hung a piece of notebook paper in tree, completely missed the paper. Finally got it worked out but it was too dark to go long. The Rock and I was the butt end of a few jokes that night grin

BTW, I have a similar story but the villain was being off a rotation on the turret, hence my longing for zero stops.

I am good at screwing up! Please remove as many variables as possible. At least none of it has happened in the field, but thats what I am trying to prevent (probably going overboard). I'm sure Formidilosus experience comes from knuckleheads like me.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
In reality ANY optic will fail if beat around enough... Tuners little jaunt like he's driving Miss Daisy has given him the confidence that his leupy will perform to his expectations for the amount of abuse his optic will see... That is great and I'm sure it will... Good job Tuner...

Others here will have a hatred for Leupys do to one experience or lack there of, while others will Champion Leupy's due to their ownership/sales of them...

I have 13 Leupy's that are all 30mm Tubes variables in Vari-X III, VX-III and Mark 4 models... 2 ea of which are at Leupold for repairs right now and 7 of which had been repaired previously... Repairs consisted of canted reticles, erector/tracking problems, side focus/parallex problems and internal problems...

I have 11 ea Nightforce NXS scopes in Compact's, 3.5-15/F1's and 5.5 to 22's...Some with zero stop and some without... 1ea has been sent in for repair due to a turret problem which I created.... I've had no other problems with them...

I have 3 ea Schmidt & Benders... 1ea fixed 10x42 single turn, 2 ea 4-16x42 Single turns, 1 of which has been at Schmidt & Bender for 3 months to repair an elevation turret problem...

I have 1ea IOR Tactical 2.5-10x42 which has been beat hard and have never had a problem with it since new...

Personally I would only purchase Nightforce scopes knowing what I know now... Leupy's have their place as do the others but I can not see myself buying a Leupy anytime soon... Their new "Tactical" product seems very robust... I have used a few on several occasions but until they build a better track record than they have now I will stick with what works for me...

I don't have a bunch of cool pics that I can hang and assign random distances too... I don't have fancy jigs to compare a 2nd focal plane scope verses a first focal plane scope/zero stops with matching turrets, then base my choice on price...

BTW Rick, at what distance do you use that story board/jig and what are the substension measurements on the story board mil side... Just curious...

I don't have cool videos of Tony showing the rigors of a tactical comp... I'd be more worried of Tony busting a seam on that size medium Spandex shirt than I would him wearing out/damaging a scope in that video...

I do know that of all the Optics I own I have had more problems with Leupold than any other brand... Just my experience... YMMV....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
elkhuntingguide's 9 of 13 Leup failure compared to the NF 1 of 11 failure (and the 1 has an asterisk) pretty much shut this thread down grin

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Have we decided who can piss higher on the tree yet?

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Sweet rig there ct. Nice shootin' too.

Thanks!

Maybe one day I can entice you with a big pot of chili and you can see it first hand, during your deer season, and I'll be so kind as to deliver it to camp. grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RC, My experience has mainly been with the 3.5-10x40 VX (Vari X) III with M1's or target turret, which was my go to setup for years. I am not and have never claimed to be a "long range" hunter. These scopes were to get me to 400 yards comfortably. I have a 400 yard range with the 400 line literally 10 yards from my back door. Safe to say I'm comfortable at 400 yards. I would estimate conservatively that the number of Leup scopes would be 20. Of the 20, at least 10 have failed. Failures include shifts of zero, and I'm not only talking about little shifts either, but mostly big swings. Tracking was individual to each scope. Click values were not what they should be and returning to zero after big swings was a crap shoot (big swings were mostly during testing but I occasionally get to go long).

I'm not a fan of heavy rifles but I do have one and consider it my tester. Its a 308 with a bunch of rounds down the tube but still holding them tight. When a scope is in doubt the rig tells the tale, and its ratted out several.

Here's a sample of six 5 shot groups.

[Linked Image]

1minute,

Regarding finances, I appreciate your concern. I am a current licensed CPA. I've got it under control.

Remember, you are the one with the argument, not me. I have never claimed anyone's account to be false. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have only followed the reports of others, with discretion, and vaguely reported my experience if anyone is interested. I have made my own conclusion based mainly on my own personal experience, confirmed by others' experience who I consider reliable sources.

What amazes me is that you bought 20 scopes and never learned your lesson! This is why I don't use a CPA.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 2 leupold vari x II 6x18 with target turrets. I liked the glass very much but both scopes have been back 2 times for new errectors. But the bigger problem has been a point of impact difference between powers. This last spring there was a 2" difference at 200yds between 6x and 18 power. I sent it back, but when the scope was sent back to me "fixed", I found the problem still occurring. I sent it back again, and this time it actually was fixed. That scope is now in its box replaced by a swfa 3x15. I hunt coyotes every day and I just got to where I couldn't trust my leupold. Two identical scopes both with the same problems.??

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
atse....parallax maybe?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

In 2010, Calvin Johnston was CEO of Leupold. He was formerly President of Galls (uniforms and LEO gear) and CEO of Russel Athletics (sweat pants?). He had limited experience (none?) in optics or shooting/hunting equipment.

In 2013 Calvin Johnston left Leupo and in 2014 joined a candle and candle accessory company, Candle-Lite. Sports optics to... candles?

In 2014, Leupo appointed Bruce Pettet as CEO. He was formerly CEO of Collective International (Airwalk skating shoes among other companies) and CEO of Brooks Sports (running shoes). Prior to those, he was Chairman for Famous Brands International (Mrs. Fields and TCBY yogurt brands).

Leupo press releases state that Pettet is an avid outdoorsman which is great, but the reality is that Leupold hires these guys to improve sales and profitability.

I think Leupold has done well keeping some assembly jobs in Oregon. And they still maintain excellent customer service to an extent, but I don't think their business objective is to build bombproof scopes for hard use. They probably could if they wanted to but I don't think this is what they are after. There is no doubt that they have done the cost-risk analysis.

They want to expand and increase profits. And that is probably best done with the "hobby consumer" as someone stated earlier. Just speculation on my part, but I thought it was interesting to see who ran Leupold. And in contrast to someone like Jeff Huber at Nightforce... who understands his products well and is in direct contact with fellas like Frank Galli and Terry Cross. Maybe even Formi, who knows...

Then there is Chris Farris of SWFA. I heard a rumor that Chris was asked about building tough hunting scopes based on the SS models... but he wasn't interested. Leupo, Vortex, Nikon, etc. own the hobby market.

I think the focus of NF and SWFA is to build tough scopes without the fluff that a bigger company like Leupold is after. Not saying Leupo is bad... I just think they have a different business objective.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/08/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not even a fan of leupold even if the scopes were bomb proof. to me they aren't that friendly to get behind. get behind a nightforce and see how forgiving the view is behind it compared to a leupold, or even a bushnell elite is nicer to jump behind to me, at least the 3x9 elite is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Not sure if these have been posted before or not but found them very interesting... Not the most scientific test but should open a few eyes as to what some of these scope brands are capable of right outta the box...

On the March scope the reason it's off on the tracking is that March uses a Mil value of 6400 verses the standard 6283... The 6400 is an old Army artillery value and not common in todays scopes... In 2015 March will begin using the 6283 value...

If you put in a value of .097 (6400) mil adjustment in your ballastic calculator verses the .1 (6283) mil value the March tracks perfectly... Just a side note...

Leupy Mark 6 3-18

Vortex Razor HD

Bushnell Elite Tactical

March 3-24

Mark 4 6.5-20 M5A

NightForce F1

So back to the OP...are the tests as shown in the videos an accurate way to test a scope? I can see what you all see that some track and return better than others but wondered if the test method was an accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The OP is out of pocket for a bit I believe.

Ghost,
In the first video it shows how to set up a target board so you can make sure your scope tracks properly.

I think you could set up your own with known values. With the targets available now, a guy could find exactly what you need. Check around the snipers hide....or maybe one of these guys have access to them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CC,

The only scope I care for from Leupo is the 6x42. Otherwise I'm not interested in their products.

I drive by their facility almost everyday. Been there numerous times with scopes and binos for myself and friends. I'm about to chuck my son's Leupo binos in the river... I'm tired of taking them back. A few friends have given up on the Leupold variables due to failures to hold zero (all older VXII 3-9x40).

There's a few good guys at Leupo and a couple of jackasses I've dealt with. But, if something is busted or not getting love, I've learned who to contact after going there enough timesgrin If he left, I'd not have nearly as much confidence in them fixing things. I had two 6x42 scopes that took 4 trips each to get fixed.

Still, I love the FX3 as it is forgiving and easy to use. And has taken a beating on heavy kicking rifles and from me dropping them in rugged terrain.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1234, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,366
Posts18,506,409
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.