Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best Sporting Event you've been to?

I'm pretty sure there have been several.

They all had a few things in common, too.

Guns, targets, timers... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Masters....TV does not do the course justice, the fairways and greens are always immaculate, seriously, even the grass behind the concession stands is in better condition than the greens on most courses. the flowers are stunning, the history is rich and deep and it's without a doubt the best run sporting event I've ever attended.

Golf fans owe it to their selves to make the trek and even if golf isn't your favorite sport all sports fan should put this on their bucket list. Its reasonable too, you order a sandwich (I recommend the pimento cheese AND egg salad!!),chips and a beer and you will get change back from a $10, free parking too.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a sports fan much at all.
Hunting and fishing have ALWAYS been the best places for me to relax and unwind.

That said, the absolutely raw, violent power one witnesses at an NHRA professional drag racing event is truly a spectacle to behold.
I'll attend the one in Sonoma Ca every few years.
Video is a piss poor representation...

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
1987 Talladega 500 when Bill Elliot qualified at 212 MPH, and lapped the field 3 times, before restrictor plates.

Heart of Dixie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by spotdoctor
1987 Talladega 500 when Bill Elliot qualified at 212 MPH, and lapped the field 3 times, before restrictor plates.

I watched that one and wondered what would have happened if Cale had still been racing.

That race, more than any other, was the death of NASCAR.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slg888
Dusty Rhodes vs Rick Flair, Greenville auditorium 1983

He said sporting event, not soap opera...

Mine was Wyoming Basketball vs Utah in 2002. 16,089 screaming Cowboy fans in an arena with 15,028 seats. The fire marshal looked the other way as the Pokes knocked off Utah 57-56.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Georgia state track and field championships. 400 meters. Looong time ago, when I was skinny!

I heard the gun and flew outta the blocks. I knew I had a solid start and was uber focused. I felt the acid in my legs and pushed harder. As I came out of the final turn and knew I was close, I realized there was no one near me!

I pulled toward the finish line thinking I had won. As I was ready to lean for the line I looked up only to see 7 black kids with their hands on there heads recovering from the race.

My azz got smoked ! Still a fond memory.

I don't even want to think about a 400 now. I'd puke. laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The Mile" San Jose. Back in the late 80s

Jay Springsteen on a pushrods HD against the OHC Hondas.

Half way thru the main at mile 25 there were 9 bikes in maybe 3-4 bike lengths.

Every straightaway the Hondas would pull forward.

In the turns Jay would weave thru the pack to the lead again. Jumping up and down for traction.

He didn't win but he was the best rider out there.

Went to the pits after and there was a guy there with his 9 year old and wanted a picture of the kid and Jay.

Jay didn't say a word and just kept walking. Looking totally beat. The guy didn't know what to say.

Jay had to get the keys from the truck cab.

Unlocks the back. Unstrapped the bike and rolled it out and put it on the stand.

Got out his leathers and helmet, put them on the kid and put him on the bike and got on behind him and innocently said "is this okay?"

He was totally beat.

What a class act.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
"The Mile" San Jose. Back in the late 80s

Jay Springsteen on a pushrods HD against the OHC Hondas.

Half way thru the main at mile 25 there were 9 bikes in maybe 3-4 bike lengths.

Every straightaway the Hondas would pull forward.

In the turns Jay would weave thru the pack to the lead again. Jumping up and down for traction.

He didn't win but he was the best rider out there.

Went to the pits after and there was a guy there with his 9 year old and wanted a picture of the kid and Jay.

Jay didn't say a word and just kept walking. Looking totally beat. The guy didn't know what to say.

Jay had to get the keys from the truck cab.

Unlocks the back. Unstrapped the bike and rolled it out and put it on the stand.

Got out his leathers and helmet, put them on the kid and put him on the bike and got on behind him and innocently said "is this okay?"

He was totally beat.

What a class act.

I'd buy that man a beer today. If you do, send me the tab.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Best one I personally went to was in Pullman WA, college football. #1 USC at the time vs #3 or 4??? WSU. Game went into triple overtime and WSU ended up winning and earned a trip to the Rose Bowl. We stormed, yes we the fans, stormed the field and partied like crazy that night. Good times

I like cougars!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the Bullfights i attended in Juarez, Mexico

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
About 1962, I went on a Father/Son basketball trip to UW/Madison. I went with my younger brother because our Dad was too sick to go. Ohio State, with Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek was playing the Badgers. OSU was far and away the best college team at the time, while Wisconsin, with a pretty good team, was not thought to be any where near the same level. Wisconsin smoked Ohio State by twenty points! The gym was an absolute mad house.

Was at County Stadium in Milwaukee for Warren Spahn's 300th career victory. Game was nothing special otherwise.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was in AIT at ft Jackson they loaded us up on a bus took us too university south carolina stadium and they were playing Tennessee Peyton manning final yr playing college ball. It was a blow out tennesse beat them 40 to something manning didn't play the 4th qtr. When I retire i have some bucket list things I want to do. Go to a Alabama home football game, go to a Steelers home game and to a packers home game, go to talladega etc.

Last edited by 79S; 01/09/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mud wrestling night at the Vapors.

Man you mad to be there. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went to a MNF game at the old Texas Stadium when they inducted Tom Landry in to the Ring of Honor. It was the first NFL game that year and Dallas was playing Atlanta, back when Dan Reeves was still coaching at Atlanta. We had damn good 50 yard line seats, and Atlanta's hot shot running back broke his ankle and ended his career in the 1st QTR.
I can't remember his name.

But the best part of THAT game was the Halftime show, where they inducted Tom Landry into the Ring of Honor. EVERY Cowboy that EVER played for Dallas and was still alive, were introduced on the field during the Landry induction Ceremony. So I got to see ALL of my childhood Hero's on the field at one time, in one place. It was Awesome!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/09/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Small town rodeos in Montana.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
4th of July rodeo, Belle Fourche, SD. Made you feel proud to be an American. One of the best family events I've been to.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I am home in Quebec in the season, I am front and center all over upper New York State and Quebec, following this group around to as many events as I can.

http://www.adirondackpull.com/

I am a bonafide fan of of none other than TRACTOR PULLS !!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW !grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
December 22, 1982 #5 Indiana versus #2 Kentucky basketball game. IU won 62-59.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any time my daughter pitched. As a 10U pitcher she got her first work during a state championship game against another team from our town. It was an inning plus of mop-up, but to see her pitch for a state championship was priceless.

Second year of 12U. She's locked up in a tight game, and doesn't have her good stuff. She's working hard in the 6th innning and obviously running out of gas. I head out to the mound. The relief pitcher is warmed up and ready to go. I get about half way to the mound and she's giving me "the look". I asked her how she's feeling, and she tells me to get the hell off her mound and let her work. Bases loaded, one out, we're up by three, and their best batter's up. She throws her three drop balls in a row for the K, gets the next batter to flail wildly at a strike three curve ball and walks off the field.

Second year of 16U. She's playing on a club team, filling in for an injured pitcher. With a catcher she barely knows, she throws a perfect game no hitter. Great stuff. These are the favorites I have. I consider my self a very lucky man.

Her first appearance playing college ball. Not a good outing, but by God, she made it. This year I will get her to work again, but this time as a pitching coach. She's agreed to coach an inner city 12U team. It's all kids from a rough neighborhood. This is right in her wheelhouse, and I'm sure she'll make a positive influence on these kids, win, lose or draw.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 58 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.