Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 116 of 144 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 143 144
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As soon as we checked in at the ranch, we were directed to the range to check the zero on our rifles. Interestingly, both rifles needed two or three clicks of adjustment to put them back on the money, so to speak. Not sure what that was about, but it was nno big undertaking.

There was a bit of discussion as to whether we would be hunting on Wednesday night, and the decision was made to go hunt. I'm certainly glad we did, as Tide Jr was able to take his first pig ever.

We were sitting in one of the ground blinds, watching a group of whitetails in a sendero, when a sow showed up. She had three little piglets in tow, and they were feeding between us and the whitetails.

There was no discussion as to whether he would shoot her or not, but I did spend time whispering to him about letting her clear a few little mesquite limbs that were between us and her, and also making sure the deer were clear from behind her in case of a miss or pass through. I think that the extra time it took for the shot to develop gave Jr. more time to relax and breathe before he actually broke the shot.

When his little rifle did bark, the sow dropped like a sack of sausage, kicked 3 or 4 times and was still. The little ones scattered, along with the whitetails and we stepped off the distance and collected his trophy. 77 steps, and the 125 grain Ballistic Tip produced an exit, which mildly surprised me. Definitely looking forward to deer season here at home now, there will be more shots taken with the 300 Blackout.

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When you have two Kentucky boys who don't get out all that much, most anything will be a wonderment. Take for instance, Jackrabbits.

Jackrabbits only barely resemble cottontails, and they were everywhere on this ranch. It is no wonder that rattlesnakes were in abundance. Although, Roger and Poobah both opined that jackrabbit was not edible, I'm guessing rattlesnakes don't care about that.

After the first evening's hunt, we got clearance to smoke jackrabbits at will. Just so happened that we had a 10/22 in the truck, so Jr. made a run at the Jackrabbits.

He informed me at the end of his jackrabbit safari that they are fairly oblivious to 22 LR, unless you shoot them through the grape. I'll have to take his word for it, as I didn't shoot any, but it was duly noted.

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well...I just had a great time. Too many things to list initially. Good to see old friends and make new ones. As luck would have it, we received 1/3 of the areas annual rainfall in two days, making it a little squishy and spring break traffic was tough. Central and south Texas are big destinations. I made it home in about 8 hours, which was good time, but didn't stop but for diesel and a sandwich.
See why I hate driving through Houston, Joel?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
What a great addition to the 24H camp, Lawson was. You and mom did a fine job, Joel. Fantastic young man. It was a pleasure to meet him.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell

See why I hate driving through Houston, Joel?

Yeah, that was a ballbreaker.

I was grateful to pop out the East side of that mess.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by isaac
What a great addition to the 24H camp, Lawson was. You and mom did a fine job, Joel. Fantastic young man. It was a pleasure to meet him.

Thank you, sir. I'd be lying if I said we weren't proud of him.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
SO WHO THE [bleep] was the Drill Sergent?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just beat him regularly....... wink

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
SO WHO THE [bleep] was the Drill Sergent?
That is Joe aka Follically Challenged
Rolled through my door at 1:20 AM but the long day of travel was well worth the good times and company

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, Bob beat you home by 12 hours. What's up with that? laugh

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bob paid Delta to give Dan the runaround for a few hours.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm glad to see Junior got a pig, he looks like a beanstalk version of dad. The 300 looks like a fun, little rifle.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks, Scott. I'm glad I got to be there for it.

Trace bought me that rifle for Christmas. I picked up a Timney trigger for it from 7x57Steve and mounted a 2x7 Leupold. It is ridiculously easy to load for and recoil is nearly non existent with the 125 grain bullets.

For hunting out of those ground blinds, that short barrel length was perfect.

Hoping that there will be a bumper crop of groundhogs around here this year. I'd like to do quite a bit more shooting with it.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
The 3 amigos

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All that rain and no mud on Bob. I bet the staff tired of carrying him over puddles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Made it home at midnight last night. Left the Ranch at 6:30 am. Only stopped for gas 3 times. A lot of traffic jams.

My Wifes Kia negotiated the muddy ranch road with ease.

Had a great time meant a lot of great folks seen a lot of fine guns.

Will post some pics later today or tomorrow.

Thanks Dan for putting this together.

Pat and Poobah made for good blind partners.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Special thanks to Rodger for bring 15 lbs of fresh jumbo shrimp,wahoo and red snapper fillets. Pat and I prepared the feast and we scored big points with Lois the cook for our help
Pat grilled every thing up over a mesquite fire

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were pretty darn yummy, too!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yes Sir!Thanks Roger,Pat and Dan they were delicious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best shrimp ever. Thanks Roger, Pat and Dan.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 116 of 144 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 143 144

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1moredeer, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.