Print Thread
Hop To
S
SteveE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Talley light weights came in and I installed them today. Fully prepared to shorten the front screw as suggested on here but I decided to try it first without. Put the front ring on snug and checked for wiggle and there was none. So I stuck the back screw in torqued them down and then removed them. Checked the screws to see if they were shiny from being bottomed out. They weren't. Still not satisfied that the front screw was short enough I got my calipers and used as a depth gauge and measured the hole and the screw sticking out of the mount. It don't hit. Thus my ? Have they changed something or I just lucky
Thx
SteveE

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently installed them on my Montana and had no issue with the screw either.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Every situation different no doubt.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would imagine that inconsistency in the depth of the hole is the issue, not variability in the screw length.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
I would imagine that inconsistency in the depth of the hole is the issue, not variability in the screw length.

I've been telling myself that for years...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I recently put a set of talleys on a Borden Alpine actioned rifle. The first set I put on were too high so I returned them to talley and swapped them for a lower set. When I mounted the front ring from the first set the screws were too long and bottomed out in the action. When I returned them I asked talley to send me the proper length screws with the second set, which they did, but it was a packet of shorter screws off to the side in addition to the longer ones in the package. Borden's tolerances are pretty tight and I highly doubt that they vary enough to where talley can't know which length screw they should take. It seems like they just put in longer than needed screws with the expectation that the person installing them will shorten them as needed. I've shortened plenty of mount screws that were too long over the years and it's kind of a PITA. It would be much better if they'd just do a little homework and include the correct length screws to begin with instead of expecting the installer to file them down.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

I've been telling myself that for years...

LOL!

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SteveE
Talley light weights came in and I installed them today. Fully prepared to shorten the front screw as suggested on here but I decided to try it first without. Put the front ring on snug and checked for wiggle and there was none. So I stuck the back screw in torqued them down and then removed them. Checked the screws to see if they were shiny from being bottomed out. They weren't. Still not satisfied that the front screw was short enough I got my calipers and used as a depth gauge and measured the hole and the screw sticking out of the mount. It don't hit. Thus my ? Have they changed something or I just lucky
Thx
SteveE

What Montana, an 8400 or 84?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
SteveE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Mdl 84

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had no trouble with a long front screw either on my 84M.

Since all the screws were the same length, I assume that Kimber changed something in the hole.

Or, luck just so happens to have the barrel threads turned just right that it gives a bit more length in the hole.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talley knew of the problem
I am sure they fixed it

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,260
Posts18,504,811
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.