Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9508031 01/12/15
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Today I left the house and drove maybe seven miles and my engine light came on. 2004 Corolla with just 63,000 miles. I looked inside the hood and didn't see anything obviously wrong. I even checked the gas cap to see if it was secure knowing that could have triggered it. There was no loss of power so I'm discounting the catalytic converter being stopped up. It ran as always, just the check engine light was on.

Any ideas?

Kids are for people that can't have dogs

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
does it need an oil change?
the engine light comes on after so many miles since your last oil change.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mileage/timer in the electronics most likely.

Could be an O2 sensor as well.

Very likely a minor whatever.

Take it in, have the code run/read, and go from there. Not enough detail otherwise to have anything other than that level guess.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you live in a state that has emission checks take it to a dealer and spend a bunch of money getting it fixed, if not ignore it

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Go to the local auto parts store and have it scanned. If you can't, then buy an adapter ($10) and the torque app for your smart phone

OBD II interface for Android phone

Last edited by dennisinaz; 01/12/15.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fuel up recently?
Sometimes gas can get down the tank vent and wipe out the charcoal filter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Run away from it,it's going to blow!

Really might just be a sensor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You Corolla is just like a computer. If you feel good in doing so, take the ground cable off for about 5-10 minutes. This will cause a reboot. If the check engine light comes back on, then take it in to the dealer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My check engine light came on yesterday, I tightened the gas and the light went off today. It took 30 miles and a couple of trips before the light went off.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Autozone and O'Reilley's both let you use their scanners for free.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Filled up a week ago and it's on 3/4 tank now. The oil was changed last month and I rechecked today just in case.

Fortunately we don't have emissions checks here no inspections to pay for!! I never thought of taking it to Advance Auto. But, since I'll be taking it to Toyota tomorrow I'll let them find the problem.

If you feel good in doing so, take the ground cable off for about 5-10 minutes. This will cause a reboot. If the check engine light comes back on, then take it in to the dealer.

There's a point I had thought of but since I'm taking it in tomorrow that wold erase the code so, I decided against that. This has been the best car I've ever had, never causing any problem at all and being totally dependable. Maybe I just need to kiss her more often. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live in So Az and as of now I live in fear of the 'check engine'light. Started several years ago on my 2006 Mustang. Light appeared,took it to Ford and $650 later they had spliced the wires on top of the transmission where the Pack rat had chewed it in two.Three months pass and same thing happened but this time they had to drop the Tranny to make the repairs - $800. On to a new 2013 Hyundai Veloster and same thing happened twice more. So I have been out over $2000 for check engine lights. Damage in all cases have included the o2 sensors. So I live in fear of the 'check engine' light. I have lights under my car (an led droplight) a floodlight at shoetop level shining under it,- all on a timer to come on at dusk and go off at daylight - and a strobe light in the engine compartment hooked to the car battery, all to no avail sadly. I even have mothballs and a bar of Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment. So if you have ideas lets hear them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rat traps with foil on the trigger is what I have been told. I just moved here in Aug, someone told me if you have a problem with them, try that. Evidently, they really like shiny things and will pick them up and haul them to their nest.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good grief!! Time you bought a Toyota. smile I suspect a sensor but I'm no mechanic. You can't work on these things anymore like I could my old 'Cuda. I don't even know where they're keeping the spark plugs in this one.

I'm hoping it is something simple. The engine didn't run hot nor was there any problem with the transmission. If the light hadn't come on you never would have known anything was wrong.

I keep the car in the enclosed garage so no fear of rats.

Last edited by Kitch; 01/12/15.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I would strategically place a lot of D-Con cubes about in the engine compartment and under the tranny for them to gnaw on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't think I would waste money or time taking it to a dealer.. If it runs, all the levels are OK, drive on..

I did buy a code reader to plug in mine and work with my iPhone so I'll know what's going on.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to plug them into a diagnostic code reader to know why the light came on.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have two cars with the Check Engine Lights on...

but one is an 88, and that one has been on for a 150K

the other is a 93, and that one has only been on for 60K or so..

put it on the computer code reader at the college, but since I don't have to have them inspected, it isn't worth the time and effort to fix them.. vehicles run fine with them on...

when I go across the pass, ( get enough altitude), especially when it is cold, the lights go out...

These things are more a racket than having anything to do with '
pollution controls' in my book...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Buy a fricken code reader.Every car has a plug in for one.Then you exactly what is wrong.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ignore it. Buy a bottle of hooch.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,135
Posts18,502,708
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.