Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I am tying to weigh pros/cons of the two to come to a decision. I like the 12x14 Colorado Wall tent. And, I am considering the AO 12'.

I realize the AO 12 Extreme boasts a condensation free interior. Does that mean the others will form condensation?

Opinions?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Davis wall tents are by far superior to anything out there, and they have the best costumer support you could ask for.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brayirish
Davis wall tents are by far superior to anything out there, and they have the best costumer support you could ask for.

Does Davis Tent & Awning offer lightweight wall tents that compare to blend tents offered by Montana Canvas?

Here's a comparison

Arctic Oven 12' tent, 78 pounds (includes poles and stakes), $2,430
http://www.alaskatent.com/oven/ao-12-extreme-w-vestibule.html

Montana Canvas 10'x12' blend Wall Tent, 37 pounds, $971.50
9 prefab Frame Joints + 1" EMT Pipes, 30#, +/- $150
http://www.montanacanvas.com/products/montana-blend

Don't understand why anyone would buy an Arctic Oven Tent, unless they have more money than they know what to do with.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"ARCTIC" being the key word here. If you are indeed camping in extreme cold, the Arctic Oven is far warmer and easier to heat.

Most fall hunting weather can be handled in a wall tent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by brayirish
Davis wall tents are by far superior to anything out there

Horsechit.......They make a good tent, but so do other makers.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a Davis 12x14'. It's a good USA-made tent, but not anything extraordinary.

In direct comparison, I think the Montana Canvas tents have better stove jacks, and frame angles.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I chose a Davis because they have some really good monthly specials.

I got the tent, stove/pipe, floor, fly, angles, bags, screen door, storm flap door, stakes all for $1100. I had done some shopping around and that was a pretty good deal.

After only a few trips afield, I have some small rips on the roofline index grommets....wind.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I once owned a Davis wall tent. I camped with it in 3rd elk season here in Colorado in moderate snow and 0 degree temps. I liked it, it was well made and comfortable. On the other hand, I camped in an Artic Oven in 20-50 degree temps in Alaska in high winds and constant rain. In the later situation there is no question that the Artic Oven was more comfortable. Weight is an issue with the AO and so is cost. If hauling the extra weight and $$ are not a concern, and you're in for high winds and wet weather, there is no doubt in my mind that I would prefer the Arctic Oven. Still, for the Rockies, the Davis is a good choice.

Last edited by plainview; 01/13/15.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
"ARCTIC" being the key word here. If you are indeed camping in extreme cold, the Arctic Oven is far warmer and easier to heat.

Most fall hunting weather can be handled in a wall tent.

Yes exactly right. To say you waste money on an AO is a mis- statement, more like a mis-use.

I can't imagine camping in AK in the winter at -40, with simply a wall tent etc...

If I wanted dual use, I'd buy the AO and use it.

If I was after something like CO elk only, wall tent, but like a tipi understand it will sweat/condensate, but generally a wall tent is wood stove heated which takes all of that out anyway.

We have a wall tent here, for elk hunting, that I likely will never do again. But I wouldn't take it to AK for a winter hunt. Though I likely will eventually get it there for fall moose hunts due to the larger size.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Very good info. Thanks for everyone's input.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Barneys sells bomb shelters too...about same as AO. I think the AO is probably a bit better quality, but I have been in bomb shelters too and I wouldn't have an issue with them personally.

Just FYI

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been using a Montana Canvas Spike Tent(old style with the short walls, 10x10 center pole) made out of their Relyte(?) for going on 20 years. It doesn't let moisture out or absorb like canvas when closed down, but at under 40 lbs with a Riley "Little Amigo" stove it is pretty handy. What condensation I've had just dripped down the walls unless it was blowing hard and only was a problem until the stove dried everything up which wasn't very long.

Canvas will be quieter when the wind blows, the synthetic is more snappy especially when in sub freezing tempts and canvas will hold the heat a little better than the man made stuff but with a good stove run properly I don't think I'd notice much of a difference.

I spent a week in sub zero(-20F nights with 0F daytime highs) temps during a late season cow elk hunt here in MT. and once you got the stove going all was good, although the frost line came up from the floor to the height of the top of the stove. In that case canvas might have been better but who cares, I was warm and having fun.

Last edited by SBTCO; 01/14/15.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SBTCO
...I was warm and having fun.

Exactly the end result I am looking for.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
So, canvas will condense on the interior? Did not know that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
So, canvas will condense on the interior? Did not know that.

Condensation will occur on most materials if it's cold enough and enough moisture in the air. From my experience the canvas will not allow the frost to slough off like the Relyte will or run down the walls when the frost melts.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
will condensate and if closed tightly enough, the fact that you are breathing in smaller tents provides the moisture source.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Under the right condition I'm sure it could happen but never had condensation issue in my wall tent even with a plastic tarp of the roof. I'll get moisture on top of my bag but that's it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A 10ft. AO is my dream tent, I have a Four Dog Ti large stove for it and hope to buy one, someday......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Davis 14x16 and never had condensation...ever. I've hunted in some cold chit too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.