Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
Buy a fricken code reader.Every car has a plug in for one.Then you exactly what is wrong.

they have all sorts of code readers over at the college...

not worth the costs of replacing the sensors, since it being on doesn't effect the operation of the engine or the fuel mileage whatsoever... so why worry about it...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
Ignore it. Buy a bottle of hooch.

Agree. Ran MANY thousands of miles with the the dummy lite on overt eh years. Until it causes problems ignore it.

220 Swift still king.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
having the code read is a very simple and efficient troubleshooting step, no guessing involved....get her done

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My '07 has the check engine light come on every winter. My no nonsense mechanic told me there is a sensor ( i forget which one ) that freezes up.If you live in a cold climate,that could be it.Doesn't seem to affect anything after several years.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My 04 chevy (5.3) had that light come on. Turned out it was the mass air flow sensor.
FYI for chevy guys it's located in the air intake hose. I have been told u can clean it with off with brake cleaner. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I also had a chevy 3800, same issue.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by viking
My 04 chevy (5.3) had that light come on. Turned out it was the mass air flow sensor.
FYI for chevy guys it's located in the air intake hose. I have been told u can clean it with off with brake cleaner. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I also had a chevy 3800, same issue.

Get the MAF cleaner, not brake fluid, and make sure not to touch the wires with the sprayer tip.

Just like you, I've had it work wonders, and I've had it do nuttin'. Still, it's cheap & really easy, so one might as well try it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Some of those problems are self caused by people who change out the factory filters for one of the ones that use a film of oil. It gets on the sensor and messes it up. ED K

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swift
Originally Posted by las
Ignore it. Buy a bottle of hooch.

Agree. Ran MANY thousands of miles with the the dummy lite on overt eh years. Until it causes problems ignore it.

My check engine light came on last year. The car/engine was running great so I ignored it.
Only some states check cars every year or two. So I am trying to fix the problem myself.
If you do a search for about a week ago. Should find lots of useful info.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Get it checked out by a reliable mechanic who knows auto computer systems.

The cause of check engine light can be caused by almost 200+ reasons (permutations) for that particular model. Some are minor, and some not. Ignoring the light usually always costs you more $$$, if not in future repairs then in fuel mileage.

-Ken

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll give you a good piece of advice. Don't go to a campfire or gun forums for auto advice! If you do not have a reputable mechanic to depend on, you need to find one. Now if you insist on going to an internet forum, go to an auto forum. A code reader could cost you a lot of money in repairs as it only identifies the area of the problem, not the exact problem. Do you think I would have a $10,000 machine if a $15 one would work? Maybe you would want to do this. Go to your parts store and let them scan it. Go to the internet and type your car model and year and the trouble code. You will stand a better chance getting the right answer this way.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd check the MAS, we had this very same issue a few years ago on my wifes 4 Runner and it gave us fits trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
According to Toyota today, it's the O2 sensor gone bad. that's most unusual for one to go bad in those cars at just 63K miles. At any rate, $100 for the diagnosis plus and other $300 for the sensor and labor. A most expensive day.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kitch
According to Toyota today, it's the O2 sensor gone bad. that's most unusual for one to go bad in those cars at just 63K miles. At any rate, $100 for the diagnosis plus and other $300 for the sensor and labor. A most expensive day.

If you believe the dealer. I have a Camry and the check engine light is on all the time. The reason -- the gas cap doesn't seat against rim of the fuel filler neck because the filler neck is rusted. Check that before you spend any money. I fear some dealers will replace those parts, then clean up the rust so the cap seats, and in a few months your light will come on again.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Next time go to Autozone and they'll pull the code for free. Dealers charge you both for the diagnosis and the repair. $100 for 30 seconds and a code reader.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is running right and everything checks out good I put a little piece of electrical tape over the light. An old rough mechanic used to take a small drill bit and drill right through the lens and break the bulb. Not recommended and you lose the warning the light can provide for a real problem. I drive junk and am just interested in transportation.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First thing I did after looking under the hood for an obvious problem was to check the gas cap. I opened/closed it just in case. The light still came on so, I knew it was something else.

I saw a chart today while there at the dealer and they charge up to $130 for spark plugs!! I nearly dropped my teeth. Use to those things were a little over a buck a piece and simple to replace in an older car. In this car I don't even see them or the ignition wires.

Last edited by Kitch; 01/13/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First thing I did after looking under the hood for an obvious problem was to check the gas cap. I opened/closed it just in case. The light still came on so, I knew it was something else.

it may take some time to go off.it doesn't instantly not come on.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There really wasn't anything wrong with the cap. I make sure after refueling I screw it on right and then past a few clicks but I did it again just to be sure.

I guess my only out is to trust their diagnosis.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I saw a chart today while there at the dealer and they charge up to $130 for spark plugs!! I nearly dropped my teeth. Use to those things were a little over a buck a piece and simple to replace in an older car. In this car I don't even see them or the ignition wires.

You aren't supposed to, uni-coils can be a bitch.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/13/15.

Swifty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.