Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
My friend, the rancher, is so busy this time of year he asked me if I would "sight in" his new savage bolt action rimfire, in 17 WSM.
I had not shot one of these yet so I was looking forward to doing this for him.
So a couple days ago I picked up his rifle and his ammo and started the wait for good range conditions.
His bolt action Rifle is the heavy barrel, stainless steel looking model with the accu-trigger.
Today came around with no wind and temps looking like they would get above freezing so I headed out for the range at noon.
He only had a small cache of ammo for it, 100 rounds, so I double checked the store where he bought it's, bore sighting job.
Seemed close enough so I began fire at 25 yards - nearly right on so I moved the target to 50 yards and fired a 5 shot group there that measured .392" - and this with a Leupold 3x9 variable with Du-Plex reticle.
I was impressed with the way it shot but everything else on the Rifle seemed chincey including the loading and insertion of the magazine (difficult!), the bolt action (rough and scrunchy - not smooth and positive like I expect), the bolt handle itself (cheesey and chincey).
The stock seemed OK and rode my bags pretty well.
I did set up some 12 gauge fired shot shells on the 50 yards stand and plinked them pretty consistently after the groups and sight-in were done.
My friends ammo was the 20 grain Winchester stuff - I guess they also make 25 grainers.
Over-all I was impressed with the accuracy and the trigger but everything else was "unusual" to my tastes.
Man, if Ruger made a 77/17WSM in a heavy barrel with their wonderful rotary magazine I would have one in an instant - for long range rimfire Gopher Hunting and such.
I don't know what my friend paid for the savage but he won't be disappointed in the accuracy I am sure of that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good round, but unless someone comes out with a decent, affordable rifle soon, it will flop.

Browning T- bolt, maybe?

From what I read early on, the round requires special action features to contain the pressure safely in the rimfire casing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Good round, but unless someone comes out with a decent, affordable rifle soon, it will flop.

Browning T- bolt, maybe?

From what I read early on, the round requires special action features to contain the pressure safely in the rimfire casing.

I would like to hear more about your first hand experience before I make a purchase.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I v read that Savage 17 WSM rifles now has a wood thumbhole stock on their heavy barrel B Mag. Should I start seeing Winchester, Hornady, and Federal ammo in the stores where I shop I may be tempted in getting a B Mag rifle. Should CZ or Ruger make a 17 WSM rifle I would get one of them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
My friend, the rancher, is so busy this time of year he asked me if I would "sight in" his new savage bolt action rimfire, in 17 WSM.
So a couple days ago I picked up his rifle and his ammo and started the wait for good range conditions.
His bolt action Rifle is the heavy barrel, stainless steel looking model with the accu-trigger.
Today came around with no wind and temps looking like they would get above freezing so I headed out for the range at noon.
He only had a small cache of ammo for it, 100 rounds, so I double checked the store where he bought it's, bore sighting job.
Seemed close enough so I began fire at 25 yards - nearly right on so I moved the target to 50 yards and fired a 5 shot group there that measured .392" - and this with a Leupold 3x9 variable with Du-Plex reticle.
I was impressed with the way it shot but everything else on the Rifle seemed chincey including the loading and insertion of the magazine (difficult!), the bolt action (rough and scrunchy - not smooth and positive like I expect), the bolt handle itself (cheesey and chincey).
I did set up some 12 gauge fired shot shells on the 50 yards stand and plinked them pretty consistently after the groups and sight-in were done.
My friends ammo was the 20 grain Winchester stuff - I guess they also make 25 grainers.
Over-all I was impressed with the accuracy and the trigger but everything else was "unusual" to my tastes.
Man, if Ruger made a 77/17WSM in a heavy barrel with their wonderful rotary magazine I would have one in an instant - for long range rimfire Gopher Hunting and such.
I don't know what my friend paid for the savage but he won't be disappointed in the accuracy I am sure of that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That's a super fast 17 rimfire. 25 and 50 yards is a joke with something like this. How were the 100 and 200 yard groups????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Browning T- bolt, maybe?

I would like to hear more about your first hand experience before I make a purchase.

No first-hand experience at all.

The Savage rifle is terminally oogly, even for a Savage. It looks cheap and crudely made and the styling is bizarre.

The Low Walls are excellent and finely made rifles (I have the Browning in .22 Hornet), but at $1350, aren't exactly going to sell like hotcakes.

The ballistics of the round are good, and the reviews, I've read have reported good accuracy. With 400+ fps over the HMR, it should be even better at whatever the HMR is good for. Since I have a nice Hornet, hundreds of cases, bullets, and primers, as well as 5 or 6 pounds of suitable powder, neither round is particularly attractive to me, but even if the WSM round was just what I wanted, the fact that the only reasonably priced rifle chambered for it is, to my eyes, uglier than a bag of a**holes, would keep me from taking the plunge.

If you feel differently, knock yourself out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My SIL bought a BMag last year, but was able to find only the 2600fps ammo. Finally tracked down 2 boxes of the 3,000 fps version, so we shot it on New Years Day. Conditions were cold and windy, but his rifle produced consistent 1.25" groups at 100 yards. The rifle seems to be getting a little better with use.
Getting past the subjective stuff on appearances, the rifle functioned perfectly. Only real point of flawed design is that the bolt handle lies where my hand wants to be.
I am fascinated with the concept of a 3000 fps rimfire.
Should add that I place far more priority on accuracy than I do looks. Theres no shortage of sad looking rifles on the market. This holds true for the 50 years I've been paying attention, witness pressed checkering, birch stocks, vented rifle ribs, ad infinitum.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make some nice rimfires and they're good shooters and good buys. They seem to have lost their way on this one. I hope they figure it out and clean this one up a bit. The concept is sound, especially if the increased performance is at a price comparable to the competition. There's a big market for a round like this, not just here, but in places like Britain, where fox shooting is a big deal.

I was in a LGS yesterday and handled one of the Low Walls. This one was a .22. The wood had nice grain, but no figure and the metalwork was good. Very nice rifle, but a little plain considering the price.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't understand WHY Ruger hasn't released the 77/17 in WSM the action can hold the Hornet why not the WSM?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe because the hornet kicks it's azz?....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And maybe they don't wanna do a new mag?...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or maybe because they don't wanna fugg with a rimfire bolt in the hornet action?.....

So many questions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't see the bolt being an issue ... New mag, perhaps. Although I'd think it would be a cool rig, I doubt I'd pluck down my cash for one. If I didn't dumb luck my ass into a HMR, I doubt I'd own one of those today. LR's, WMR, HMR, Hornet and .223, I can't imagine where or why I would need a WSM. But never say never.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None of those are really the issue. They could do it if they wanted. And it would sell some rifles. But, I think the reasons are, that if ruger and hornady had done the collaboration it would have flown. Witness the HMR and 204.....Instead, ruger can't keep up with demand on some models as it is, so have focused on business at hand and their own new releases. My take anyhoo....

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsa1917hunter: Maybe you didn't read all my post - my rancher friend has 100 rounds of ammo!
I did not want to shoot it all up.
He has Coyotes, Badgers, Skunks and Ravens to kill - so I gave it the function testing and sighted it in - now he's good to go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: And this - I brought home five of the fired casings from the range and my thought was to double check them for "bulged bases" (a pressure sign?) versus flat.
Well no signs of pressure at all but the firing pin strike mark seemed awfully small as compared to a "normal" firing pin strike mark.
So I get out my jewelers loupe and sure enough it was a "small" strike mark because it was perfectly round and a perfectly shaped (half round) "crater"!
I checked all five of them and all were perfectly round strike marks.
So the firing pin on this rimfire must be similar in tip contour (though smaller) than a centerfire firing pin.
Checked the Rifles bolt face and sure enough there was a tiny round hole for the firing pin to come out of upon trigger pull.
Then I got out my more powerful loupe to check the firing pin marks again on the rims of the cases and the firing pin left tiny but distinctive rings (about 5 of them in each crater) in side the half a grapefruit shaped firing pin indentations - I am not complaining I just had never seen this type firing pin mark on a rimfire before.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well, since Ruger is making a 77/17WSM in a heavy stainless barrel and laminated stock configuration, have you bought one yet?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 8 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.