Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Any of you Alaska gents hunt with or shoot double rifles? Just curious as doubles are my life and every summer the double rifle shooters get together for a few shoots. I shoot caribou every year with a .450-400 and have taken grizzly with a .450 no2 and a moose a few months ago with a vintage .600. If you're into doubles, contact me and join us for a shoot.
Cal Pappas

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never even owned a double rifle, don't really see the lure of it here in Alaska. Too heavy IMO and lightweight is where it's at up here.

Africa, now that's a different story.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only guy I know that used one regularly was Joe Want when he was guiding on Kodiak

.500 IIRC

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cal,

Don't own a double (dream about them though) and don't live in AK. Saw your name and just wanted to say I bought your book on the .600s and enjoy it very much. That's what dreams are made of! Still need to get the one on Bore rifles...

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Cal,

Don't own a double (dream about them though) and don't live in AK. Saw your name and just wanted to say I bought your book on the .600s and enjoy it very much. That's what dreams are made of! Still need to get the one on Bore rifles...

GunNut:
Thanks for the post. Email me at <pappasmtaonline.net> and I can tell you about the bore rifle book and my newest, The Double Rifle Primer. Also, come on up some weekend and shoot with us.
Cheers,
Cal

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome to the campfire, sir.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've never understood the lure of single and double rifles. It must be the safari mystique, but since safaris don't captivate my attention, perhaps I am immune. I figure if one shot is good, two is better, but three or more shots is just using your noggin. Bolt or lever, doesn't matter to me but having at least two follow-up shots at my disposal is the way things ought to be.
Having said that, only having one round probably encourages one to be a better marksman.... and I wouldn't pass up a Ruger No.1 at a good price. But double rifles, no.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cal,

I haven't taken the double rifle plunge yet, but one of these day's I'll probably get one. A 9.3X74 just seems too practical not to have one, though the real allure for me is the larger bores.

I did take the big bore plunge though. Had two different 458 lotts and then someone talked myself into a 500 Jeffrey project. Somehow the 500 has gone on the back burner, somehow after shooting some starting loads I put together with 100 gr of RL15 under a 600 gr cast bullet and clocking 2200 fps my motivation to complete the project waned wink I occasionally regret having gotten rid of the second lott, it was a simple rough duty rifle put together with a Ruger #1 take off barrel shortened to 22" on a mauser action.

There is something about the craftsmanship of a fine double rifle that is lacking in modern magazine rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Cal,,

I have been around a few doubles ans shot a couple,,enough to see their allure. I guided for Jim Harrower for 15yrs and had a steady stream of well heeled Germans,,mostly with fine rifles and a few doubles. Most of the doubles were 9.3X72's and an odd 9.5 rimmed or so. They all had the huge claw mounts with BIG Zeiss scopes and shot plenty good enough for moose in semi-timbered country.

Longtime friend and summer neighbor Chris Goll had a 470 WR that he would uncase a couple times a year and we would kill a target or two and he backed up a couple of brown bears on the Copper here with it,,nice rifle!!

I'm guiding with Bob Cusack now and he has a 458 and a 9.3 double,both Italian made,sorry no idea name? His daughter killed her Very Nice Bear on Deadliest Hunts with the 9.3!

i worked with Joe Want one year on Kodiak but he had already sold his 500 and was carrying a Ruger in 416 Rigby.

A friend across the lake in Iliamna has an over-under 30-06 that he'd love to sell to me,claims it would be a good yard gun! I already have that covered with an Old Ugly Clone and a Big Horn Armory 500 S&W on order.

welcome to the fire

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cal, besides the folks Jim mentioned, I still keep my Zoli 450/400 around for hunts that might involve some close, fast shooting and have guided a few clients with them as well. In fact our friend Dr. Lou used a 9.3 Chapuis SxS to take his moose with me 21 years ago.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One day I like to buy a butch searcy double. Double rifles are neat and if they were good enough for Elmer Keith good enough for me.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the great fun to shoot Steve_No's 450-400 and Gunner500's 500NE double and his 577NE double. Very usable shooting irons. Single shots??? I would not hesitate for a heartbeat to bust a cap on any bear alive with my old Sharps 45/110 buffalo gun or my 44/90BN Sharps.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a good friend in Alaska hunts with a double BP muzzle loader.

I think that would be fun for sure. THe moose sure disagree though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never had much interest in double rifles, quality sxs shotguns are another story.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,480
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.