Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What type of accuracy are you seeing out of the Weatherby Vanguard S2 line of rifles?

Pros, cons?

Any info current or past owners could provide would be helpful.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have its close cousin, a Howa 1500. It's very accurate, getting 1/2" groups isn't hard if I do my part. This is in a 22-250.

The only downside is they're not a light action, but that's because they're a solid build IMO.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NTG
I have its close cousin, a Howa 1500. It's very accurate, getting 1/2" groups isn't hard if I do my part. This is in a 22-250.

The only downside is they're not a light action, but that's because they're a solid build IMO.

Just received a new Howa catalog last night. I really like the Alpine Mountain rifle. Japanese made correct?

Last edited by StudDuck; 01/13/15.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yes...just like the vanguard. The vanguards were assembled in the US from japan parts...don't know if that's still the case.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a few of them, but I have not fired any of them. I don't know what I am waiting for... always messing with something else I guess. I have a new stainless in .30-06 and a new blued in .257 WBY. I sure would like to get a new one .240 WBY just to have a back up to my coyote rifle.

IC B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A .240 wby is a hell of yote rifle...but easy on the skins!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have two: .30-06 Sprg and .243 Win. Both are � MOA shooters with my handloads. They have very good triggers. I've never had any problem with either rifle.

CC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a .300 Win Mag. Mine is very accurate, the action is smooth, the fit and finish is really well done, and the trigger is wonderful.

The only downside is the heft. I wanted an elk rifle that isn't too heavy, and mine comes in about 9#, which helps with recoil but it get's heavy toting it up and down. In my opinion the stock feels clunky and heavy, at least for the purpose for which I bought it. I just ordered a McMillan Edge for mine hoping to get it closer to 8.25# all up.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've a 257 bedded in Mc Edge that's extremely accurate. Just a few ozs shy of 8lbs all up

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They are to heavy for my taste but they shoot good

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought S&W 1500 which is nothing but a Howa with a wood stock a few years ago at an auction. The gun shoots great with the first load I tried using H-4350 and Hornady 165 Gr. Interlocks. All shots touching at 100 yds, if I do my part. I then tried Nosler Partitions in the same weight and was pleased to see they shoot just as good as the Hornday's and to the exact same POI. What's not to like.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two - one in a 7mm/08 shoots the 140 NBT's into .6 3 shot and .75 5-shot groups.
The second is in a .243. Still doing load development but put 95 NBT into a .9" 3 shot group. Still have a couple of more bullets and powder mixes to try before I settle on one.

The '08 shot well enough that a fellow I guided this year (used my rifle to take a nice axis) has bought one and reports similar groups with his new rifle.

They definitely aren't 'light weight' by any means but aren't that bad to tote around.

Put some decent glass on them and have fun.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Gobble

Then check out the newer Vanguard S2 Back Country model. It shaves weight without sacrificing barrel length, and shoots tiny groups.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not the s2 but I have own d 2 vanguards over the years. The only difference in the s2 that I know of is the stock inserts and the trigger so I would expect the accuracy potential to be similar. Both. I had were good shooter and the older 243 vgx from the 80s would via for the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. It would consistently puts 3 shots in your thumb nail at 100 yds. I think the vanguards are probably the best of the value priced rifles out there.

Last edited by bangeye; 01/14/15.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by Gobble

Then check out the newer Vanguard S2 Back Country model. It shaves weight without sacrificing barrel length, and shoots tiny groups.

I should've started this thread just for the Back Country model, that's the one I'm interested in. As previously stated, the standard S2 model is too heavy for my taste.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 4 Vanguard S2s; 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor, 1 in 243, and 1 in 223. Agree that in factory dress they are a bit heavy, but weight is one of the reasons we buy so many McMillan stocks. One is bedded in a McMillan Hunter which, for me, is a good choice for the 24" barrel. One is bedded in Boyds Prairie Hunter laminated stock making it a bit heavier, as if it needed to be heavier.

FWIW, Weatherby changed the ROT on the Vanguard S2 223s at SN VB084281, with those below having a 1-12" ROT and those above having a 1-9" ROT.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A buddy of mine has a 6.5 Creedmoor and it's a sub MOA rifle with 140 Bergers! I agree, they are a little heavy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Below is an excerpt from the email conversation I had with Andy McCormick, President of Legacy Sports in reference to the new Alpine series rifle.

Mr. McCormick,

I just received my 2015 catalog in the mail and I am intrigued by the new Alpine Mountain Series Rifle. On the surface, it is a beautiful rifle, but I have several questions that I hope you can answer before making my decision. Please take the time to provide detailed answers to each individual question.

1. Your catalog lists the the Alpine Mountain Rifle having a #6 contoured barrel; please describe to the best of your ability the type of barrel used for the #6 contour; I assume it's a thin lightweight "mountain contour" barrel or is it a heavy barrel contour? Perhaps there is a misprint in the catalog; judging by the pictures, it is a thin barrel as compared to the Hogue Kryptek Full Dip Package that is equipped with a 20" #6 heavy barrel. Good Catch , It is a # 1 lwt contour � they are changing it now on the website and downloadable catalog .. thanks

2. Is the barrel free floated? YES

3. What type of crown does the barrel have? Same as all of our Howa�s � Standard recessed LWT and Standards.. HVY Barrels are Target Recessed

4. What method was used to install the rifling? Describe how the barrel was manufactured; hammer forged, etc. Drawn process

5. Is the action bedded, if so, how? Pillar Bedded

6. Does the rifle have an integral recoil lug? YES � Monster one J If not, please describe how the recoil lug is assembled into the rifle.

7. Is the barrel threaded into the receiver? YES If not, please describe how the barrel is attached to the receiver.

8. Is the Alpine Mountain Series rifle built on a true short action receiver or is it built on a long action receiver, utilizing a bolt stop similar to the design of the Tikka rifles?
SHORT ACTION � all of our #1 contour calibers are � 223, 204, 22-250, 243, 308 and 7mm-08

9. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger user adjustable? What is the adjustable range? If not, what is the factory trigger pull weight? 3 lbs. from Factory.. can be adjusted to 2.7 lbs .
Without affecting the safety engagements.

10. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger group enclosed? YES

11. Where is the "high tech light weight stock" manufactured? Is it an injection molded stock or is it hand-laid fiberglass, kevlar, etc.? Hand Laid Fiberglass � Mark Banser !

12. Can the bolt assembly be field stripped by the owner? Absolutely !

You won�t be disappointed � We also have it coming in 6.5 Creedmoor in May !

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I don't own any Vanguards. I had one of the first series in 243. It was an alright gun. I didn't like the trigger on it. It had a lot of creep.

When I looked into a new trigger, I realized I could get a Tikka for less money than what I had in the Vanguard and a good trigger upgrade. I went with the Tikka.

Recently, I handled an S2. The price was good, but the trigger felt the same. I left it there.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I ordered a Vanguard S2 from Bud's last week in 7mm Rem Mag. Supposed to be delivered to my FFL sometime today. Got a VX3 and a DNZ Game Reaper mount waiting for it.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.