Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Old- 1950's Remington 513 Sporter vs. Newer- ?1990's ULA 20 22 Rimfire.

The old held it's own against the newer 22 even though I wasn't really comparing apples with apples.

Remington 513S - ~7+ lbs., "good" factory trigger, 27.5" medium weight target barrel,
Weaver 2X7 Classic scope
ULA 20 - ~5 lbs., Jewell trigger, 22" Douglas barrel, Melvin's full length bedding,
Burris 4.5-14 Timberline scope w/AO

I succumbed to boredom the other day and took these two 22's out for a little friendly competition at 100 yards. I shot off an improvised portable gun rest on the tailgate of my truck, me sitting on a 5 gallon bucket... pretty "redneck" but it worked! It was overcast, 35 degrees, with no wind.

I was pretty pleased. I have had the 513 for many years and it has long been my favorite 22, bumping aside my treasured childhood Browning T-Bolt. The ULA is new to me and shows great promise as well! It certainly did not disappoint given it's lighter, handier platform. The "Bulk" ammo impressed me as well.

I would love to see what both could do on a cement bench w/ higher powered target scopes and high quality target ammunition! As for now, they are certainly "minute of jackrabbit"!!! I am going out for a little stroll in the sage tomorrow... the "wabbits" ought to be a little nervous!!!

[img:center]
[Linked Image][/img]

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

They only made about 13,000 of the 513S's vs many more of the commonly seen 513T's. Most were not grooved or tapped for scope mounts other than Stith mounts which limit you somewhat. The 513S would certainly qualify for inclusion into the recent thread on "22's you are proud to own and shoot" or whatever it was titled. If you ever find one for a decent price, even if it has been drilled or tapped, buy it!!! You will not be disappointed!

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fun comparison lundtroller and good shooting! I have a 513s (grooved receiver) and it is among the most accurate .22s I own (which includes some pretty good ones) only problem I have with it is that damn trigger. It is not horrible but inconsistent and for off-hand shooting - which I do a bunch of it is almost "useless" (one time it will be around 2 lbs the next around 3 lbs, etc....) but from a bench with the ammo it likes it will shoot around 1/4" at 50yds!

I do not have a NULA but have always kinda lusted after one!

Rabbits beware!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 01/16/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 513S that was tapped for a side mount AND aftermarket grooved for tipoff scope. So it is hardly a collector's item, but easy to scope and looks and handles more like a centerfire rifle than most .22s. A very neat package that I love to shoot, but don't hunt with any more--I've switched to all single shot .22s for hunting. Just because.

My present favorites are a relined Win 1885 Low Wall .22 LR (made in 1902, NOT by Miroku) and a T-C G2 Contender Carbine with an 18" MGM custom .22WRM barrel. The G2 gets taken along when the terrain is challenging (and since I'm 72, more of it gets more challenging by the day....).

I bet that NULA is a treat to pack out hunting! Not so much fun to PAY for, unfortunately....

The 513 trigger is not the greatest, for sure. But when compared to the guns I learned on, the Remington 514 (Yuck!) and the Winchester 67A (better, but still a half-hour trigger pull) it is a marvel of crisp precision! Doesn't bother me; you just need to take your time with it.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have only taken the occasion to shoot 100 yards at a range with the .22 RF one time. It yielded a 1/4" group of 3 with a 10-22 of '72 vintage. I had enough sense to stop shooting at that point.

More commonly I run 50 for target work and with only a single target .22 I don't do that often. The target gun is a 513T of unknown vintage equipped with a Redfield Olympic sight system, palm rest and butt plate options for various positions. It is my personal RF rockstar.

10 shots, 50 yards, Wolf MT, front rest:

[Linked Image]

The 513S is in original configuration, other than D&T for scope. It has one of the nicest pieces of walnut I've seen for that class of rifle and averages in the low 4s at 50 for 5 shots. Quite a lot of family history with this particular rifle and I don't shoot either of the 513 guns a lot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan that is a pretty impressive group at 50 yards, nice shooting both you and lundtroller. All this shooting talk has me fired up to go to the range myself this morning before the wind picks up too much. We're talking 15-25 gust later today but right now it's about 10mph. As it warms up it's going to get windier. I'm taking out my 44US(a) and my M77/22 more than likely. Heck might drag the mounty along too.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Glad to hear that there are some 513S aficionados here on the "fire"!!!

Up until obtaining the ULA recently with it's Jewell trigger, I think my 513S's trigger was the best of my 22's. I know it is relatively "primitive" in it's design and adjustment capabilities, but mine has always been crisp and consistent. I just sold another 513S with a Stith/Lyman Alaskan set-up (wasn't friendly to my eyes anymore) and the trigger seemed similar. Maybe someone "worked them over" in years past. To be honest with you, the Jewell trigger as adjusted on my ULA is almost too much of a good thing out in the field... I've disengaged it a couple of times just getting on my target before I was actually ready to shoot.

The rabbit hunt on Saturday was good; I was not sure what to expect as the jackrabbit #'s have really fluctuated a lot in recent years with what seems like no predictable cycle nor the amazing peaks in #'s of years past. I went with a friend and we walked for about 3 hours in a large valley bottom with low sage interspersed with more open areas of cheat grass in between. There was about 2" of noisy, crusted snow and a 10-15 mph wind. The rabbits were definitely at an advantage as we walked with the wind. You could see 5-10 (maybe more at times) moving as singles, sometimes groups of 3 or 4 out 150-300 yards ahead of us. They seemed pretty "skittish" to say the least. I took the 513S (gave me 7 shells in the gun vs only 4 total with the ULA given the clip "issues" I have read about). Occasionally, a jack would give me a brief 50-125 yard standing shot offhand. I only connected on 2 rabbits on the first half of the hunt. The wind as well as mid-range trajectory errors given my 100 yard "zero" made for several uncharacteristic 50-75 yard misses. Moving north 1/4 mile and hunting into the wind back to the truck early in the afternoon made for a totally different experience. The rabbits held tighter, the shots were on average a little closer, and there was a lot of "cat and mouse" stalking action in the sage. I still had some mid-range misses but I did get a couple on the run and "popped" one through the sage when all I could see was its ears above the branches at ~100 yards... haven't made a shot like that in years!!! I figured we saw around 1000 rabbits although my friend did not think it was that many. Either way, we both agreed it felt like the good old days of our youth and college days with tons of action. The hawks, coyotes, and eagles were very happy I am sure as well!

Lesson's learned:
1. 75 or 50 yard zeros just make more sense for 22's. I guess I'd rather hold over for the 100-150 yard shots. The 50-60 yard misses are painful!

2. All 22 hollow points are not created equal. I was watching several rabbits hit at closer ranges of 25-50 yards where I could see their reaction when I shot. Several acted like nothing had hit them. I thought I had somehow missed when they ran off only to find them 10-15 yards away dead with no obvious wounds, bleeding, etc. The 22 shortage has made it tough when you can only shoot what you can find for sale (which usually has not been CCI Mini-mags, Velocitors, etc.)

I hope everyone else has had some luck finding similar activities to tide them over through winter!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,214
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.