Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Someone on the Facebook 99 group posted this...I figured one of you deep-pocket guys over here would buy it.

Price doesn't seem all that high, really. Nice wood.

http://www.foxriversporting.com/products/savage-model-1899-deluxe-first-year-gun

Doc B
Amarillo, TX

For the best handloading listserve on the internet, try

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/handloading/info
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IF I had the money it would be mine, nice gun, I can dream

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimbobfunny
Someone on the Facebook 99 group posted this...I figured one of you deep-pocket guys over here would buy it.

Price doesn't seem all that high, really. Nice wood.

http://www.foxriversporting.com/products/savage-model-1899-deluxe-first-year-gun

Judging from the kill notches, the owner of this FINE gun used it for it's intended purpose. Makes me feel right at home hunting the two lowly "K"s that I hunt from time to time. Actually this rifle with the hunting/killing folk are can be had for less money that a decent "K".

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice looking gun, and not a crazy price tag. This is about an hour and a half down the road from me..if any of you guys with deep pockets want to wire me the money, I'd be more than happy to pick it up personally. laugh

P.S. There's a face book 99 group??!!

Last edited by JeffG; 01/17/15.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG

P.S. There's a face book 99 group??!!

I just went and checked it out, didn't join but had a look.

Winner of the photo contest was a 99T that was drilled and tapped so Calhoun must be a member, BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Am I the only one that noticed that the worn finish of the metal reflects the age of the gun, but the wood looks brand new? Also, how is it that there is zero dark area where the wood meets the metal, which should be very dark and black from many decades of oil absorbtion?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
1899guy,

Exactly what is your point??? And yes, you are the only one who noticed what ever it is that you are "seeing"... no one has ever questioned the originality of the finishes on this gun.

Wanted: Nice Fox Shotguns, SP(E) Skeet & Upland game a specialty. Looking for Savage Posters/Calendars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Marshfellow
1899guy,

Exactly what is your point??? And yes, you are the only one who noticed what ever it is that you are "seeing"... no one has ever questioned the originality of the finishes on this gun.

Idiots abound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom. So far this guy can't load his gun, can't squeeze the trigger and bought something and then has to ask what he has. Don't think he's a threat to anyone but himself. Let's stop feeding the troll. wink wink

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1899guy,

Actually he's not, I had the same thought that the wood looked a bit too good compared with the bluing wear, but with just a couple photos it's so hard to make judgements.

Are you the seller Marshfellow? Seemed like you were a bit quick to react to 1899guy's honest question of condition.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
1899guy,

Idiots abound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom. So far this guy can't load his gun, can't squeeze the trigger and bought something and then has to ask what he has. Don't think he's a threat to anyone but himself. Let's stop feeding the troll. wink wink

Holy shi+ you guys are serious blush

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why are some of you so quick to insult people? While most of the people on this site can be really nice, others seem to be just waiting to try and insult someone (longbeardCLOWN) who is unfortunate enough to not know as much as them on this subject. And I can load my gun clown. The rotor is off and I was looking for some help here. No trouble pulling the trigger. Not sure where you got that from. Fact is, while I only have about 20 99's now, I shoot them all, so I do know when it won't load properly. Suggest in between your old Savage manual readings, you should try reading Dale Carnegie's book, "How to win friends and influence people". It may be just what you need! I think we have a couple of people here that are trying to promote something on the sly, otherwise why the harsh comments over something so minor? Old gun. Worn metal. Wood looks perfect though? Just saying. . .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blue wear seems to be mostly from carry. Got a bunch of 99's like that with great wood, folks didn't wipe the metal down after handling it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good answer. Thank you Calhoun.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Finish inside the notches?

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And if it was carried so much that the metal wore the bluing off, in so many out of the way places where a hand seldom rubs, then why is the checkering looking BRAND NEW???? Again, I could be wrong but I feel like a couple guys here are blowing smoke up my shorts. Any gun I have had with such worn bluing and such age, has been handled alot, as this one looks to be, but that stock sure looks right out of the box to me. I think its a fair question, especially for a site that supposedly is not intended to be a place to post guns for sale. Sorry, my feathers are a bit ruffled at this point.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have to say that I agree with you on the finish.
2 reasons-
1. After having personally refinished enough stocks, you can see that there is a dreaded shi+crumb IN the finish. Not factory.
2. From the pics, it looks like there is finish IN the kill notches.
It may not have been refinished this week, or month, or century, but it appears to have been refinished.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
First let me say the rifle under discussion is an appealing rifle. I particularly love that it is so very early. I also love the swell type pistol grip - it is my favorite.

As far as the condition of the rifle, I think we have to be very tentative in discussions where we are just looking at pictures. Tom has it in his hands and his take on the rifle reflect someone who is holding it, looking at it under good light, etc.

The question has been posed about the checkering looking new. Personally (from what I can see in pictures), I have ruled out that the rifle has been re-checkered or the checkering has been freshened. By my way of reckoning this means the checkering has been untouched. The wood fits well everywhere as well. Perhaps a bit of linseed oil in the notches?

Again, it is a very nice special rifle of very early vintage.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Lucky_Savage
Have to say that I agree with you on the finish.
2 reasons-
1. After having personally refinished enough stocks, you can see that there is a dreaded shi+crumb IN the finish. Not factory.
2. From the pics, it looks like there is finish IN the kill notches.
It may not have been refinished this week, or month, or century, but it appears to have been refinished.

Actually on the older varnished woods I usually look for a few dots of varnish and some other areas of not perfect leveling of the varnish. The older varnish coats were not 100% perfect. I know that it's tough to tell on Internet pictures and its always good debate, but I see an 1899 D package that looks kosher to me. Looking at the whole picture of the rifle one must say it has really beautiful lines to it and its a pleasure to look at.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one catches me at a moment when I've just emptied the piggy bank to buy another rifle. If this were not the case, I'd be leaping on this one with both feet. Beautiful.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An incredible example of an early 1899 checkered/PG stock. Has it had an extra coat of varnish over the last 115 years? Likely but an early owner of this rifle cared for it before stepping out into the wind/rain/snow to do some hunting. Suspect that the owner didn't really care what collectors in the next century thought. He probably had great pride in the number of notches and a campfire story for each.
Interesting to see the barrel serial numbered and does anyone know what type of scope mounts would fit the two holes on the barrel?
BillR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 43 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.