Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Good Evening, and Happy New Year to All,

I need some advice on loading the 117 Hornady RN. I finally got the time to load some heavier bullets for testing in my 99 in 250. When chambering my dummy (sizing) rounds the 117 spitzers chambered, tight, but they chambered. The 117 RN however wouldn't. I used the recommended OAL of 2.515 for the roundnose and 2.650 for the spitzer and ran both through a Lee Factory Crimp die. After the failure to chamber I ran a non-crimped 117 RN also at 2.515. I extracted the round and the measured OAL was 2.445. I've have five reloading manuals and none has a load for the 117 at this OAL or shorter. Has anyone else run into this problem when loading 117 Hornady RN and do you have any loads for this OAL that you would be willing to share?

Thanks In Advance

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I can't speak directly to your problem, but on the face of it I'll bet the full diameter of the body of the 117 RN is too long to allow the OAL you are striving for- it is contacting the rifling when the same weight bullet of a spitzer design has enough taper to allow it to snake further into the leade.

The manuals are only a guide, and as such can't address every scenario a handloader might encounter. Were it me, and I had a burning need to try RN 117s in a .250, I would simply seat the bullet deep enough to feed through the magazine and chamber correctly no matter what OAL I ended up with (and reduce the powder charge a skinch to compensate for the bullet's intrusion into the powder space.

Lot-o'-luck with getting it to work well, depending of course on the vintage of the rifle and whether it has a slow twist or not. Perhaps "minute of deer" may (or may not) be the result. Curious too regarding the need for a crimp, "factory style" or other. I gave up crimping stuff being fed bolt guns, single shots, and Savage lever guns long ago.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hornady changed the profile of their 117 gr RN bullets a few years ago. Earlier versions were more tapered from the crimp ring forward than they are now. I have boxes of both. One thing I've noticed is that the newer versions are a bit more accurate. Neither version will work in a 1-14" twist.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck with that Bobcat. I have a 99 in 250 also, and have experimented with loading heavier bullets. Didn't take me too long to figure out that in my gun anyway, it simply couldn't shoot anything but 87 grainers with any sort of accuracy. 100 grainers and 117 grainers wouldn't even hit the paper, and if they did, they were unstabilized. The 250 barrel is specifically designed for 87 grain bullets to achieve their famous 3000 fps. Any longer heavier bullet simply won't perform in my 99.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 250R loves the Remington 100 gr core-lokts. We tried Nosler partitions, I think they were 115 gr. The first round drilled the bull, second round key holed 6" low and the next two rounds were outside the target rings. I stick with the 100's, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Bobcat, I have a older Ideal hand book that recommends a OAL of 2.375 for the 117 gr. rn bullets.

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you gentlemen. I'm going to try loading to the chamber and working up very gradually. I've done this before but never had such a difference between the loading manuals and my chamber. Gnoahhh I use the lee factory crimp on my revolvers and some of my more finicky rifles. It has helped with accuracy in the rifles. I also use it to secure my dummy sizing rounds so if I drop one it doesn't get out of spec as easily. Joe and Jim my rifle loves 100 grain bullets if I do my part and the wind isn't up I've gotten 1/3 inch groups. It's an older 250-3000. I'm hoping I got lucky and have one those barrels that was made on a day when the machine was off bit or more. Sorry for the delay in getting back to this post but work and family has kept me hoping the last few weeks - thank god I have them both! I will update once I try the heavies.

Thanks Again

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nothing to do with your current problem, but I had issues with the 117 gr RN Hornady opening up at closer ranges with my .257 Roberts. I just happened to mention it around a campfire one night and another hunter said "Hey, me too". I have never had a problem with other Hornady bullets expanding, but two different people and same problem? If you don't hit something real solid at 30-70 yards, they do not seem to open up well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think I have hit two animals at close range where 308 cal sst's did not open up. One whitetail, one Cow elk.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.