-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with that. I used to know folks who poached, and talking things over never amounted to much. Now, I call it in.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck with the politicians. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

Theyve gotten the concurrent seasons backed off a bit, and DMAP's being scrutinized. Other avenues coming down the pike. Its a start. Now how 'bout you? Got the regional office on speed dial? Or letting a poacher go?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He will walk for now. When it comes to a head there is a good chance there will be more than just him and I that know. Which probably will cause him more grief than a possible arrest for something that happened around October and may be presently hard to prove without bringing in another who had no choice. Or little at best.

Last edited by battue; 01/18/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pahick
No offense GG, but according to your thread before the season, this was your first time home since AR's were implemented 13/14 yrs ago...and you spent one day hunting. And you came to the conclusion things are getting better how?
Actually second time home since AR. Was home with my son about 5-6 years ago. It was the year it rained all day the first day. I do keep in touch with a lot of guys that hunt in our area. Yeah, I don't have a lot of time in the woods, but my brother hunted through the lean years after they shot off the does. In the first week of a couple of those years, he never saw a deer. It was pretty thin, at least in our area. Pahick-do you think the AR plan was a bad thing? Interested in everyone's take on this. I'm a meat hunter, not a horn hunter, but I still think this was in the best interest of the deer herd.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW Hick-no offense taken.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with the politicians.

No one in their right mind would want them getting more involved than they already are. In the first place, few of them have the slightest clue about wildlife management.

The past two majority (GOP) chairmen of House Game/Fish were both pretty clueless. Pretty sure one wasn't even a deer hunter, or if he was, a pretty casual one?

The incoming majority chair is an exception, as he is both fair minded and pretty knowledgeable. The character once heading the Senate Game/Fish committee is also gone now.

Several members of that House committee are dumber'n stumps. Three of them still insist that hunting license numbers continue to decrease, while they've actually gone up a bit over the past five years or so. But that's but one indication of their level of involvement.

More than one politician likes to publicly jabber about "reigning in" the game commission to gain votes back home, while doing nothing positive to help anything.

And at this point, much of the current board of game commissioners are little more than politicians themselves now, pandering to the lowest common denominators among hunting license buyers: Those that complain the loudest, know the least and represent a minority among the 900,000+ people that buy a PA hunting license each year.

Think about that number for a minute. Most conclude that probably at least 800,000 of those license buyers hunt deer for at least a few days each year. Yet a thousand or so complaints to the commissioners and politicians each year, often result in changes to our deer seasons and antlerless allocations.

And a thousand or so complaints is a generous estimate. One Senator's aide said a few years ago, that they'd received "a lot" of complaints. When I asked him later what "a lot" amounted to, he thought maybe almost a hundred and not all 60(?) Senators receive complaints.

When pressed, many elected Reps and Senators will say they've received dozens and dozens of complaints and to them, that somehow translates into a majority of our 800,000 deer hunters.

whistle

Yeah, getting the politicians more involved is a great idea.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Pahick-do you think the AR plan was a bad thing? Interested in everyone's take on this. I'm a meat hunter, not a horn hunter, but I still think this was in the best interest of the deer herd.

Sure AR's are a bad thing. The sole reason for AR's wasnt for the benefit of hunters, or deer, but to sell hunters on HR. Did it work? For its intended purpose, sure! Everyone swallowed it hook line and sinker. And now? Crying like babies. Tell me something. Are the deer healthier? How about live weights? Fawn ratio? Breeding dates? Etc etc etc...

All we did was bring herd numbers down, along with hunter numbers. The forest, by DCNR's own admission, isnt any better today. And that can be easily backed up by PSU data. When questioned by the Legislature, the GC could not tell you why the forest isnt regenerating, nor could they tell you when to expect results. But they did tell you it would take time. Theres something wrong when over a decade goes by and no change or further problems occur after we eliminated the number one problem on their list regarding forest regeneration, deer. Huge failure!

So what came of AR's? HR. Which lead to more posted land, hunters joining leases, food plots, trespassers, poachers, and a whole lot of pissed off hunters. Not to mention a MY program which hasnt progressed to greater junior hunters, and hunters afield less per season overall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
Good luck with the politicians.

No one in their right mind would want them getting more involved than they already are. In the first place, few of them have the slightest clue about wildlife management.

The past two majority (GOP) chairmen of House Game/Fish were both pretty clueless. Pretty sure one wasn't even a deer hunter, or if he was, a pretty casual one?

The incoming majority chair is an exception, as he is both fair minded and pretty knowledgeable. The character once heading the Senate Game/Fish committee is also gone now.

Several members of that House committee are dumber'n stumps. Three of them still insist that hunting license numbers continue to decrease, while they've actually gone up a bit over the past five years or so. But that's but one indication of their level of involvement.

More than one politician likes to publicly jabber about "reigning in" the game commission to gain votes back home, while doing nothing positive to help anything.

And at this point, much of the current board of game commissioners are little more than politicians themselves now, pandering to the lowest common denominators among hunting license buyers: Those that complain the loudest, know the least and represent a minority among the 900,000+ people that buy a PA hunting license each year.

Think about that number for a minute. Most conclude that probably at least 800,000 of those license buyers hunt deer for at least a few days each year. Yet a thousand or so complaints to the commissioners and politicians each year, often result in changes to our deer seasons and antlerless allocations.

And a thousand or so complaints is a generous estimate. One Senator's aide said a few years ago, that they'd received "a lot" of complaints. When I asked him later what "a lot" amounted to, he thought maybe almost a hundred and not all 60(?) Senators receive complaints.

When pressed, many elected Reps and Senators will say they've received dozens and dozens of complaints and to them, that somehow translates into a majority of our 800,000 deer hunters.

whistle

Yeah, getting the politicians more involved is a great idea.

Great answer, from a PGC pole smoker. Denny, the PGC hasnt listened one time in the past 32 yrs that ive been hunting, and you and your clan at the PFSC hasnt done one damn thing to promote a better environment for the general hunting population.

The last heads of Game & Fisheries were the only folks listening to hunters. Period. As one of them so eloquently put it, the PFSC is irrelevant. They no longer represent the best interests of PA's hunters, or wildlife for that matter. Your heads so far up the PGC and DCNR's ass its a wonder you can breath! Heres a little tidbit for you, and your friends. The fight isnt over. Until the tide turns and less weight given to failed science, the Legislature will get ever increasingly involved. Bank on that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA

whistle

Tell me Denny, where did these numbers come from? Hunters? Or out of Melody's ass? As I said before, 99.9999% of the hunters belonging to the clubs that belong to PFSC never get to voice their opinion. Why? Because you sob's play the same game the Farm Bureau does. And you wanna whine about numbers Legislators spit out..PFFT!!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Santucci's comments regarding Maximum Sustained Yield, which I wholeheartedly agree with...

[Linked Image]

Diefenbach blatantly stated the program a failure in so many words, yet we still have inept PGC sob's running with it, and PFSC pole smokers backing them at every meeting. Makes you wonder why we have so many pissed off hunters.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
pahick, I have seen it for years. The woods of PA are dieing off. I remember hearing from GC flunkies that the deer were killing off the laurel. I had seen for a long time that some areas that used to be heavy with laurel were starting to thin out. If you really looked, there are orange spots on the leaves of the mature laurel that was thinning out. It is now a GC fact that our PA laurel has a blight. Beech trees have a blight, oaks have gypsy moths, hemlocks have a parasite(I have seen it on other trees too), the ash trees have some kind of boring worm, and I guess plenty of competition from invasive plants. Most of the SGLs around here are high up and nobody wanted the land because you could not grow anything on it anyway. Why the hell would a forest regenerate plants that never grew there to begin with? I have seen what comes back 20+ years after a clearcut at higher elevations and it usually is not good. ***What the heck is a "pole smoker"? I am guessing it is not good.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
pahick, I have seen it for years. The woods of PA are dieing off. I remember hearing from GC flunkies that the deer were killing off the laurel. I had seen for a long time that some areas that used to be heavy with laurel were starting to thin out. If you really looked, there are orange spots on the leaves of the mature laurel that was thinning out. It is now a GC fact that our PA laurel has a blight. Beech trees have a blight, oaks have gypsy moths, hemlocks have a parasite(I have seen it on other trees too), the ash trees have some kind of boring worm, and I guess plenty of competition from invasive plants. Most of the SGLs around here are high up and nobody wanted the land because you could not grow anything on it anyway. Why the hell would a forest regenerate plants that never grew there to begin with? I have seen what comes back 20+ years after a clearcut at higher elevations and it usually is not good. ***What the heck is a "pole smoker"? I am guessing it is not good.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer
emeraldashborer.info

We have lost a lot of ash trees in MI.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,347
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.